“same as always - always great”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barrie
Carriage Hills Resort
Ranked #5 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Reviewed February 12, 2014

my boyfriend & I had a chance for a quick get away and Carriage hills was our choice. We have been there before and the experience has always been a good one, so we went back. We had time this visit to spend time at the pool and hot tubs. A great way to relax. We had Susan the RMT treat us to massages in our room after skiing at Mount Ste. Louis for the day. Discounts at Mt. Ste. Louis when you tell them you are staying at Carriage HIlls. This year Horseshoe has decided to give no discounts. Tried snowshoeing for the first time, as it was offered free on the activity schedule, so much fun to try something new. The guides Chantal and Leslie were awesome and made trying this new sport an adventure. Also got to meet other guests. No restaurants on site but with great kitchens in your suite we cooked most of our own meals, but ate at Settler's ghost one night. Again a discount menu if you tell them you are staying at Carriage hills. Definately a great place to visit even if it was a shorter stay this time. Rooms were very nice, well maintained. New pool towels are nice and bigger - you had in a pool card just like when you are down south. lots to do in the area with skiing at Mt. Ste. Louis and snow tubing at Snow Valley. Tried a couple of new activities - a medition/medium class and a couples massage. Nice way to treat yourself after skiing or snowshoeing. Will definately be back to try the summer months with hiking and golf.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice, I like a 2nd or 3rd floor so I don't have kids above me but all good. I...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lesley J
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

Dear taurusthebull14,
We appreciate the time you took to write this detailed review. You have listed so many of our fantastic activities on and off-site with some great tips for guests about discounts. We are pleased you enjoyed the new pool towels and you tried snowshoeing. Your comments will be shared with our team and we are very hopeful you will return this summer.
Thank you for being our guest.

Reviewed February 12, 2014

Had the great pleasure of staying at Carriage Hills again. My family and I always enjoy our time there. It's like visiting old friends as the staff are wonderful and caring. Leslie and the rest of her Activities team staff keep us busy with aqua-fit, snowingshoeing classes and so much more. The desk staff at the pool building are so helpful they become your best friends for the week by making you feel welcome and giving you suggestions on what to do at the resort and in the area. I had accidently left my watch in one of the lockers one evening and the desk staff had it waiting for me when I came in the next morning to let them know I had lost it. My only regret is that I can 't visit more often. Love the indoor/outdoor pool and its fun to sit in the outdoor hot tub when its snowing. Keep up the great job Carriage Hills.

Room Tip: The one bedrooms have a full kitchen and that saves huge on not having to go to restaurants for all...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Samantha M
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2014

Hello Samantha M,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review and sharing tips for future guests. We are very pleased your watch was returned quickly and you enjoyed interacting with our activities team. The examples you describe are part of our Count On Me environment. Most importantly, we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 11, 2014

My boyfriends family has had a timeshare here for over 10 years. My boyfriend and I decided to come the weekend before valentines day for a vacation. We didn't want to use his mothers time so we paied the full price, which was nearly 400 dollars. The firs night we arrived we used the outdoor hot tub. As I was getting out the pathway was EXTREAMLY icy and I fell and bruised the side of my leg, my shin, and had 2 gashes on my feet that were pretty deep. When my boyfriend helped me inside the lifeguard had no first aid kit. All he had was a few band aids. I went back to my room and called the next day to explain more about the incident and the manager Leslie for that department couldn't have been ruder. She claimed shell resorts has good lawyers and that the incident was my own fault. I didn't even threaten to get lawyers involved, and she was extremely hostile about the whole issue. I was more concerned that other people could get hurt. Since we've been coming here for years I at least expected some hospitality. She offered no reembusement for our stay, even though I was so badly injured I couldn't even leave the hotel room. She did not express any concern at all, and rather acted like I was some kind of criminal trying to rip them off or something. She wouldn't let us speak to a manager above her, we had to spend hours on the phone to get a hold of shell resorts since so no on this resort wanted to help. They all were pressuring me to sign forms saying I wouldn't sue basically, with no regard for others that could get hurt. Very dissatisfied with this stay,and I reccomend if you want a place with good hospitality where they care about the guests that you should go somewhere else

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sasha f
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Dear sasha f,
Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback about your stay. Your business is appreciated and the comfort of our guests is paramount. We are sorry you felt you did not receive a hospitable response.

Reviewed January 20, 2014

All I can say is my expectations were most definitely exceeded. My 1 to 2 week planned stay ended up as a 4 weeks. I was accommodated regardless of my change of plans, and extra time at the resort.
If you are looking for a to have your room made up each day, this is not going to happen. I believe you would get light cleaning and standard cleaning in a week, twice only. Yet I am certain they would accommodate your specific needs.
However the hotel has everything you will need to keep everything in order. Washer/dryer, vacuum, all the possible cooking pots, pans, dishes... what you don't have you can get through the guest/member building. I was interested in having a group over and it was not a problem finding a caterer with the help of staff at Carriage Hills.
What can I say. Really great staff, inside and outside.

Room Tip: Try the one bedroom. It is worth he extra. If you are eating out it doesn't really matter so muc...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank MHyacinthe
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2014

Hello MHyacinthe,
We appreciate that you took the time to share details of your stay with us! We are delighted to learn you enjoyed your stay and we have shared your comments with our associates. Thank you for including tips about housekeeping and local dining to help future guests.
We appreciate your business and hope to welcome you back soon.
Kind regards,

Reviewed January 1, 2014

My Girlfriend and I won a free night at Carriage Hill Resort in Barrie. We decided to use it in December. We were extremely excited to go and enjoy the resort amenities. We arrived at 1pm and proceeded to check in. Upon checking in we were told that check in time is not until 4pm and check out time was at 10am. We asked if we could check in early if our room was ready. We were told our room was not ready and to check back later. We didn't make a big deal seeing that the check in time was stated as 4pm.
We proceeded to go for lunch and try our best to use the facilities until our room was ready. After lunch we called the front desk only to be told that since it was 230 our room still wasn't ready. We decided to sit in the car outside of our room and wait. We could not believe that between 230 and 420 when our key finally let us in that nothing happened to our room.

This was only the tip of the iceberg. Upon checking in we asked if we could have a late check out after 10am. We were quickly told yes no problem, for a fee of $35+tax which would allow us to check out at 1pm. Apprehensive we decided to pay the $35. We woke up at 930am to a phone call asking if we were still coming to their timeshare presentation, something we said the night before we did not want to attend. After that we went out for a wonderful breakfast at a local diner called Loobies. After a terrific and affordable breakfast we came back to the resort only to find out that our room keys were deactivated and the conversation and $35 fee we paid the day before giving us a late check out fell on deaf ears. Now locked out of our room we had no choice but to call the front desk and wait in our car in -20 temperature until someone came and let us back into our room.

Please note that the reason my girlfriend and I felt the need to write this negative review about Carriage Hills was how they gave us our exit interview. When we dropped off our resort keys at the front desk the lady assisting us proceeded to ask me how our stay was. I looked up and simply responded to her question with "it was so-so" she looked up from her computer and said "oh okay". That to us showed a lack of desire to improve or correct any issues we as guests encountered.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank nKarakolis
Tara W, Manager at Carriage Hills Resort, responded to this reviewResponded January 9, 2014

Dear Krakolis,
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments about your recent stay. We are disappointed to learn our guest service fell below your expectations and you were faced with deactivated keys. Comments are reviewed by our management team as we always work on ways to ensure our guests have a great start to their vacation. Please rest assured we will be taking action so this is not experienced by future guests.
We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed December 17, 2013

The reason for this review is to recall the happy memery of the weekend getaway in January, when whole family stayed two night in the resort with another family for the ski trip!

Love the resort room, love the convience of kitchenett, love the outdoor pool in the snow!
dont remember there is a restaurant in the resort! but you could set up bbq in the snow, that's so cool

I could not get the reservation for the Christmas, I guess it became too popular!

Room Tip: choose the connect units with same entrance if you go with another family or extended family, it fel...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Hello Mymin,
We are thrilled to hear our guests recall happy memories of their time at our resorts. It is a delight to learn the indoor/outdoor pool and outdoor BBQ's remain a highlight of your stay.
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments and suggestions for future guests.
We look forward to seeing you at our resorts again soon.

Reviewed November 30, 2013

I booked 2 one bed apartments through RCI exchange for my husband, myself and our daughter, husband and 1 year old baby, so I am able to write this review from a double perspective. We have travelled extensively with RCI for over 25 years so we have seen the good, the bad and the ugly!

Ok. The resort itself is large, beautifully designed and well maintained with a easy and cheerful check in and check out but that's where the wow factor stopped!

Both apartments were large but I have to agree with other reviewers that there's a very musty odour in the hallway and apartment. To be honest the apartments are in desperate need of a revamp as decor, furnishings and all contents are well passed their sell by date. Putting that aside everything was very clean and there were plenty if clean towels etc.

The outdoor BBQ stations are great and there's plenty of them around the resort so it was fun but I can't say using the pool was fun. We chose this resort as it had an indoor heated pool for our granddaughter but boy it was freezing. After our first taste of the cold water we were told it would be warmer the next day but our second swim was the last - if this is Carriage Hills idea of a heated pool please visit other resorts - my granddaughter actually came out blue, not good.

As for the area, well other reviewers have covered that in detail and yes there's stacks to do.

So, I guess I am struggling to say much else about Carriage Hills. Yes on the face of it it's a beautiful resort but getting down to the nitty gritty,there's a lot that doesn't make the mark and unless there was major renovations and the pool issue addressed then it doesn't get my vote.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated apartment
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family