“Mixed Reviews”

Chaopaya Thai Restaurant
Ranked #90 of 518 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed March 4, 2014

I was looking, like many reviewers, for a great Thai restaurant in Barrie...personally, my search continues.

Here I did find a pleasantly average place instead. Atmosphere was lovely, people were great, but the food was sadly mediocre. As there seems to be mixed reviews it's hard to make a reliable decision. Guess the only way is to go by the old "don't knock it till you try it" method.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

When I first moved to Barrie from Toronto, I was excited to find a Thai restaurant that could live up to my Etobicoke-area favourites.

I first tried the Green Mango Tree restaurant which turned out to be a disaster. Please see my review of that place and avoid at all costs.

Then I tried Chaopaya, which seemed like a redemption for Barrie.

First, the restaurant is a beautiful house with wood floors, wall, ceilings, tables, chairs, etc. and decorated with beautiful statues and symbols of thai culture. I am used to that modern style which you find nowadays, so this was a wonderful contrast.

The service, unlike Green Mango, was very humble and pleasant.

The food was spot on. I ordered the cashew nut chicken, my wife ordered the red curry with chicken. Both dishes were well balanced and seasoned properly.  Only complaints: my chicken was a tad tough, and the spring rolls (appetizer) were smaller than any I've tried before. Also, the cashew chicken dish is priced higher than most other places.
Regardless, the food tasted great and made me want to try more, which I will when I return there.

There are still a few Thai restaurants left to try in Barrie, but this one will undoubtedly remain near or at the top of my list.

2  Thank ironllama
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Great food, fast & friendly service, nice atmosphere.
This family run establishment is very accommodating, the century home they operate out of has tons of character, and their curries are the best Thai curries in Barrie! I will always bring an out of town friend there for something different!

1  Thank Foodie2960
Reviewed September 12, 2013

I am posting the review because it is imperative that people be made aware of the truth about this restaurant. I hope this review saves a family some money.

After seeing the wonderful reviews posted online, we decided to visit this restaurant because we had a craving for Thai food. We had guests and wanted to take them out so we decided upon this place.

Let me start by saying that this place leaves much to be desired with the exception of the view of the water. We were willing to overlook this with the hope that based on the reviews, the food would be amazing. This was the most disgustingly atrocious meal that I have ever had, Thai or otherwise.

We wasted approximately $100 on the meal and basically we returned the entire meal ( pad thai, yellow curry chicken, green curry chicken, bbq chicken). We informed the waitress that we could not eat the meal. She made no effort to rectify the situation. We left and had dinner at a fast food restaurant.

We love Thai food and have had wonderful experiences at other Thai restaurants so this was not our first attempt at Thai food nor will it be our last but one thing I can guarantee, is that I will never ever ever ever eat at this place again!!!!!!!!

There is no word on the dictionary that captures the 'essence' of this place.

First time reviewer, last time patron.

1  Thank Dulaine S
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We found this restaurant on Yellow pages app. Looking for Thai food in the Barrie area.
First we were surprised to see young children serving tables.
Fresh rolls at most Thai restaurants have shrimp or chicken. These had vegetables only and when I asked for shrimp, I was told "no". Price of the fresh rolls?? $7.95!!
Took 40 mins for food to come and when the vegetable noodle soup arrived that I ordered, it was about a half a cup of broth, a piece of broccoli and one strand of noodles.
I refused it, and left the place hungry.
Word to the wise... Don't go here!

1  Thank Pamrt