“Barrie trip”
Review of Knights Inn Barrie

Knights Inn Barrie
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Barrie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Mount Brydges, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Where do I begin....the room itself was musty and grimy. There were a few holes in the walls, some had been spackled over and but never sanded down and painted. There were rips in the carpeting, the outlets didn't work and the TV didn't work. The bathroom was moldy with cracked tiles and even some missing in spots. The glass in the bathroom window was broken and had been TAPED back together. Both voices and footsteps from adjacent rooms as well as the room above could be heard throughout the night. My husband and I would rather sleep in our car than spend another night at this hotel. I can not believe Howard Johnson allows to keep this hotel to keep such low standards. I phoned the manager and all he would do is offer a discount on my next stay.....no thank you!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
SHIVA140, General Manager at Knights Inn Barrie, responded to this review, November 1, 2013
I'm sorry that you had a poor experience with us. Please know that if you are ever dissatisfied with your room, please feel free to alert us asap, and we'll do what we can to help. Please give us a try again in the future.
Oshawa, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I booked this hotel through Expedia for my husband because he needed a hotel for a week for work and the price seemed fair. When he arrived he asked for a room with a fridge because he brings food for the week. We had just done the same thing with a Howard Johnson in Hamilton and they had no problem giving him a room with a fridge. THIS hotel refused to do so. They claimed we could have to cancel our reservation (thus getting charge a FULL night's stay) and book a room with a fridge FOR MORE MONEY!!!! $30 EXTRA! Again, the one in Hamilton had no problem with this, nor did they charge extra money.
When I phoned Expedia to cancel, I was informed of the cancellation fee and I explained to them why I was cancelling, so she called the hotel to try to get them to waive the fee and they would not!
So we cancelled and my husband went to a much nicer hotel with kinder staff! I cannot believe the way we were treated. All other Howard Johnson's have been amazing!

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
First of all, I am sorry for the difficulties you faced when you stayed with us. It looks like there was a mix up involving Expedia.

While you did indeed ask Expedia for a room with a fridge, they booked you one of our rooms that did not include one. The day of the booking, we cannot change Expedia's bookings ourselves, as per their policy. You would have to cancel with them directly, and then book again. We would not charge you for the room, since you did not use it, however Expedia would, again as per their policy since the cancellation would be considered "late".

Regardless, I apologize for how you were affected by this mix up, and hope that you give us another chance in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Barrie hotels