“Execrable” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Execrable”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2011

Most of the reviews I have written for Trip Advisor are positive in nature; intended to identify a hidden gem or confirm why a place has such a high rating. Rarely is a negative review of much use because there are already so many good places identified by fellow travelers, but occasionally a place is so bad that there is a real duty to warn others to stay away under all circumstances. Such was the case with the HoJos in Barrie. It was also a good lesson in using the technology available to avoid such mistakes in the future.

I was in Toronto for a one day golf tournament just outside the city in a rural area with no accommodations nearby. I wasn’t sure how long the event would last so I decided to play it by ear and not book a spot in advance, not being sure of where I would end up that night. As it turned out the event ended in the early afternoon and I decided to drive up the Barrie, which I remembered as a nice little city on Lake Simcoe from years before. Naively I assumed there would be some type of accommodation down on the extensive waterfront from which I could explore the area on foot and so I took the old highway into town rather than the 400 expressway. Wrong! A half hour of driving the waterfront revealed nothing but a small B&B which is not my thing. Deciding to head out the 400 interchanges where I knew there would be plenty of the usual chains I came across the HoJo by accident. It was within easy walking distance of the waterfront so I decided to give it a try – there were quite a few cars in the parking lot.

My first doubts were raised by the clerk who was on the phone on an obviously personal call. He didn’t seem to want to break it off so the check in took an inordinate amount of time with him writing down information that any other place would input into a computer. Getting my key, only after replacing my Visa with interact because the clerk didn’t seem to know how to work the former, I headed to my room on the second floor of the motel structure. After walking across an area of dead grass covered with dog feces I encountered a set of concrete steps that was so rotten and decrepit that I seriously considered not climbing them; having done so I now saw that the steps had set the pattern for the general state of maintenance of the entire place. There were broken chunks of concrete, gaping holes in the overhanging roof, unidentifiable stains that could have been paint, blood or bird droppings and air conditioners literally hanging from the windows.

Arriving at my room I noticed I was directly overhead of a crowd that looked like refugees from the Trailer Park Boys – beer bottles, bad music, smoke and profanity were the order of the day. The room was not as bad as expected – the strong smell of disinfectant drowned out what I thought would greet my nostrils, one of the lights worked, and the carpet stains and burns were no worse than any flophouse. However, the bed looked ominous. I pulled back the sheets and found the name of another motel on them. Suddenly, all I could think of was ‘bed bugs! In truth I didn’t see any, but maybe that was because I got out my computer and thanked God that the wireless internet worked, booked another place on Trip Advisor and got the hell ought of there before I found out.

The moral of the story is that all I had to do was look at the Trip Advisor app on my iPhone or stop at an internet café; this could have saved me the horrors of this place and I would be $85.00 richer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
7 Thank maritimeexplorer
SHIVA140, General Manager at Knights Inn Barrie, responded to this review, September 12, 2011
We are sorry that your first stay with Howard Johnson Barrie was not satisfactory. We have taken your comments on the state of the grounds seriously, and you may be happy to hear that extensive renovations on the property are underway. We hope that you return once again to see how your advice has helped us improve.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Huntsville, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2011

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. Had booked on line for a cheap rate . The room was AWFUL - - -it was tiny, the carpet was filty and stained, the windows wire filthy, all of the door handles and door frames were crusty. There was even a phone number written in big , black numerals on the wall. The door showed evidence that it had been possibly forced open at some poinbt. I didn't want to unpack my stuff on any surfaces. I decided to leave. The front desk was very helpful as I wouldn't have gotten a refund . They offered to show me an upgraded room and bump me up if I was okay to stay. The new room was marginally better - - at least more like a regular hotel room. Still dated and strong smell of room air cleaner but....I stayed. Unfortunately, that part of Barrie is rife with prositutes and the drug trade so....lots of questionable folks walking around.I'm a woman travelling alone so I locked myself in at 7:30 pm and didn't leave till morning. I will not go back!!

Room Tip: I guess you can threaten to leave...
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
8 Thank kdpatterson
SHIVA140, General Manager at Knights Inn Barrie, responded to this review, June 29, 2011
I am sorry that your first experience with us was not satisfactory. While our cleaning staff works hard to make sure that each room is above expectations, I assume that the first room you were given was not cleaned by mistake. I am happy to hear that you were transferred to a proper room. We have taken your points about the state of our rooms to heart, and have recently been working on renovations. As for the questionable folk outside the area, we cannot do too much about that. Yet we strive to keep our property free of such, so that our guests can rest easily.

Travelers are raving about these Barrie hotels

Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2011

This is a very affordable, conveniently located, clean and quiet hotel. Comfortable bed, good TV, and nice front desk people. Hotel offers coffee and bagels in the morning in the lobby, so no need to scrounge looking for first cup. Walking distance to a good Chinese buffet restaurant. All in all, I would definitely go there again, in fact, I probably will.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank 60745Nick
Thank you for your positive review, it is much appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again!
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Its easy to reach, located in downtown.....its peaceful and clean. I did not had any issue there...The staff is exceptional and co-operative. With Orientel express round the corner no need to go far for good food.Would recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Sunny155019
Thank you for your kind words, I will make sure to share your comments with the rest of the staff. We hope that you will stay with us again.
Burlington, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2011

Word of advice: DO NOT STAY HERE. This hotel is run down and filthy. I’ll start with the exterior of the building. There is garbage all over the parking lot and premises. As well as used condoms in the parking lot. Once you get closer to the front door of your room you notice broken windows and more filth. Needless to say the place is a dump and we haven’t even entered our room yet. Upon entering our room the first thing you notice is how disgusting the carpets are. I did not take my shoes off the whole time I was there, for fear of contracting some foot fungus, warts etc. The bed linen looks like its 30 years old. The washrooms were equally as bad. The toilets had urine stains all over. I could keep going but I’m sure by now you get the point. The place is terrible. Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Browdogg
I am sorry that your stay with us was not satisfactory. Be sure that we are taking your concerns into consideration. We are currently renovating many of our rooms, as working on better quality control for our cleaning staff. We hope that you give our property another chance when next in the area.
Toronto
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2011

Stay far far far away from this place!!!
Like other reviews have stated, this place is absolutely atrocious and when you book through wyndham.com, they will attempt to double bill you. I know this for a fact as I have just recently found out that this has happened to a friend as well in the past 3 months.
The management are rude, disrespectful and try to blame any issue on you. Not only did he shout, he wouldn't even let you finish your sentence. After complaining and making him check out the rooms and issues, he attempted to state that we are only saying this so we don't get charged the damage deposit because we want to "party" in this dump. This accusation was completely unfounded and absurd, as we were there for business and happen to be young professionals.
This violations at this place are many. We rented a number of rooms and all were in unsanitary and illegal conditions (serious infractions involving fire alarms).
Cigarette burns in the bedding, broken windows, uncleaned washrooms (urine in toilet in one room!), burns in the dirty carpets, open electrical wiring, used toiletry items, blood stains, locks that are unsecured, gaps in the doors, all rooms smell like smoke to name a few.
Filed complaint with Howard johnson and the police were notified about this encounter.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank camelosis
First of all, thank you for sending us your concerns, changes cannot be made without comments from our customers. As for the double billing, when booking through wyndham.com, you are not charged for the room. Your credit information is asked for as a guarantee; you are actually charged at the hotel using the method of your choice. As for your concerns with the management and state of the rooms: after reading your comments, we worked on strengthening our quality control for both our front desk staff and cleaning staff, and we are working on renovating our rooms. Be sure that you will not experience such poor quality again. As for your concerns about any illegal conditions regarding our rooms, we are indeed fire safety certified, and follow all laws and regulations at all times. Again, I am sorry that your stay was not satisfactory, and we both thank you for your input, and hope that you will stay with us again to see the changes made by your request.
Ontario
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2011

The guy at the front desk (not the most friendly guy) gave us a key for a room with a broken window. We immediately asked for another room and got one.

The place is very run down, and the "cable" TV is awful. They don't even get CBC, and the signal quality of half the channels was unwatchable. Also, there is no door latch, evidently removed.

The worst part was when a cleaning lady walked into our room. Didn't even knock. She was totally shocked there were people in there. Ya think? It's a hotel!

Fortunately, the beds and bathroom were in better shape than others have described.

• Stayed March 2011
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Canadian77777
I am sorry that your stay with us was not satisfactory. Know that we are taking your concerns into account, and are working on correcting the problems. I am especially sorry that one of our staff walked into your room, they work very hard at doing the best they can, but sometimes mistakes are made. We have implemented a new routine to minimize chances of such mistakes happening again.