“late supper”

Cuisines: Canadian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Worst calamari ever served. Tasted like freezer burn overcooked and dry. Liver and onions OK.
Service was acceptable.

Reviewed September 15, 2013

This is the third time in a row that we've gone here and had terrible service; we've now learned our lesson and won't be returning as much as we enjoy the all-day breakfast and variety of menu items.
We waited almost 10 minutes to be seated-a server walked by us twice without aknowledging us before the greeter came and seated us. And it wasn't busy! There were 7 occuppied table when we arrived.
Our server was very slow to bring our drinks, and we waited almost 40 minutes for our food (we didn't order anything fancy like a steak that would take that long to cook). She never came to check on us or top up our beverages before or after our food arrived.
The staff dress code needs to be revisited- the greeter and our server were wearing way-too tight, VERY low cut tops...that's expected in other establishments, but not appropriate for a family-friendly restaurant-I was actually embarassed for them both.
This restaurant used to very enjoyable for us, and has the potential to be great again, but the service definitely needs to be re-vamped before we'll ever go back.

1  Thank Lish66
Reviewed August 24, 2013

We have lived in Barrie for almost 3 years, and I've always wanted to try this restaurant on Bayfield. Last week we decided we would give this place a shot. Upon entering the restaurant you are greeted very quickly, and the atmosphere and decor of the resturant is really neat and it was very clean. We were given our menus which, in my opinion had too much variety to be good, which is always a sign for me, a kitchen can only have so many meals to be able to make them fresh.

My wife ordered a veggie wrap which came with a side salad, which there was an up charge for. I have to say, I would sooner just be charged more for the entry and have no up charge than be told it's 1.99 extra for 20 cents worth of salad. The salad was just ok, the veggies in the wrap were marinated in some kind of vinegar, and seemed to have an overwhelmingly strong taste; as if the veggies had been sitting in the marinade for hours and hours.

I had the meatloaf, which came with mashed potatoes and veggies. Where to start. The gravy over the meatloaf must have been out of a can, or worse yet some add water mixture. The meatloaf I suspect was made fresh, but then frozen and reheated. The mashed potatoes had an odd taste to them, and I suspect these are bought in a bag and reheated, and the mixed veggies had signs of freezer burn, and were not fresh. I am sorry, but when I am paying good money for simple food, I don't think boiling some potatoes fresh, and at least using FRESH veggies and not frozen in the summer time is asking a lot, these veggies are after all in season.

The waitress was very friendly, and was disappointed to hear that we did not enjoy the food, and explained that the food was fresh, and they had other menu items which were really good. I think she is just telling us what she was told, but I believe otherwise.

Would we return to Fran's? For the service, yes, the waitress was very nice; however for the food no. Spending over $40 for an upset stomach is just not cool.

If Frans would simply their menu, and use fresh ingredients serve fresh food this place could be a real hit. It has a wonderful decor and friendly staff. Unfortunately, I would sooner go to old dated restaurant that serves fresh food any day.

1  Thank Stephan29
Reviewed August 11, 2013

My fiancé and I thoroughly enjoyed our meals. The waitress was fantastic! Reasonably quiet places. Only complaint is that it seems to be the place to go for people who drank too much the night before.

Reviewed July 29, 2013

This is my absolute favorite place to go for breakfast or lunch. The menu is huge, but each item is really truly great. My #1 choice, the monte cristo and the french onion soup. We've taken large groups here countless times and we always come out pleased. The only thing is they tend to be a little on the slow side with their service sometimes, so not the best if you're in a rush.