“Best Fish n Chips in Town but I'll have the Reuben! :)”

The Local Gastropub
Ranked #11 of 516 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: Great home cooked pub food with the best selection of craft beer on tap North of Toronto. With large bay windows you have an indoor/outdoor atmosphere all through the year.
Reviewed November 22, 2013

My husband and I have been patrons of The Local Gastropub for the last 4 years. What started off as our weekly Friday Fish n Chips date night, has blossomed into so much more for our taste buds! Try any of the local craft beers offered on tap and be open to any of the specials offered. Deep fried pizza was one of my personal favourites! And here are more of mine and my family's top 5 "experiences" at one of our favourite places to enjoy in Barrie.
1) My (grown up) kids look forward to celebrating Easter with The Local. Deep fried Cadbury eggs!!! Seriously!?
2) The Reuben sandwich....party in my mouth.
3) Beer dinners. Delicious!!
4) Mac n Cheese....who doesn't love cheese.
5) The staff. They treat you like family. Really they do. They remember your name (and my name isn't an easy one to remember).

Just eat here. Seriously.

37Scotland, Owner at The Local Gastropub, responded to this reviewResponded December 11, 2013

Dear Lourdes

Thanks so much for posting your top 5 likes about our little pub. We truly appreciate the feedback and will continue to care about you and all our guests going into 2014!

Again thanks for the support!

Scott & The Local Staff

There are newer reviews for The Local Gastropub

Reviewed November 9, 2013

I was in the bar for the first time last night and it is a very friendly place with easily the best beer selection in Barrie. Not only that, the beer is kept really well, tastes really fresh and the head lasts all the way down. They also have some interesting looking beer cocktails and a wide selection of other drinks. The food was very good as well and it sounds like the menu changes and evolves reasonably regularly. The haggis lollypops give you a hint to the origin of the owner and I wouldn't even risk haggis unless I knew a Scotsman was behind the stove! They were very generous and had a lovely sticky, sweet dipping sauce and went perfectly with the nutty brown ale I chose. I also arrested my guilty feeling of indulgence by having a Ploughmans Salad... which was huge for a starter and jammed with a lot of really fresh leafy greens, some cheese and apple.. very tasty! The staff were super friendly even though it was busy being Friday night... I will go back and make it my local just like the name!

37Scotland, Owner at The Local Gastropub, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Dear Anthony

Thanks so much for taking the time to rate our little pub! We are always really happy when guests from out of town appreciate what they get when they visit The Local Gastropub. I notice that you are from Ottawa! As you know there are so many great places to eat there and for you to review us with such high regard truly means a lot!

I will pass on this message to all of our fine staff!

Thanks again

Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

There's plenty to love about this modern pub.

On a hot summer day, the glass windows open and turn the entire pub into a covered patio. The chefs offer unique interpretations of traditional pub fare at very reasonable prices.

Best of all, they host "beer dinners", where craft beers are paired with unique and imaginative dishes. Don't plan on driving, because they are generous with the beer! My wife isn't particularly fond of beer but even she had a wonderful time because the dishes were so expertly paired.

A great place for both casual lunches and anniversary dinners.

1  Thank Dave B
37Scotland, Owner at The Local Gastropub, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Dave B

Thanks for comments and mention on the Beer Dinners! They truly go down well and we have also just started Beer Dinners @ Home! Yes you heard correct! The Beer Pairing Dinners are so popular we have started offering them in your home! We will come and prepare a great 3 course beer meal in your own dining room!

Thanks again for the support!

See you soon at The Local! Happy Halloween!

Reviewed October 22, 2013

I love the Local Gastropub because whether they are serving traditional Scottish fare, fusion, or just comfort food, the flavours are fresh, natural and delicious! I love that I can get rootbeer on tap here (it's amazing with rye or spiced rum!), and the selection of local draft beers is much better than any other pub in town. The serving staff, and owners Scott and Hollis are top-notch people too. I never walk away disappointed.

Dear pamsdaughter

Thanks for the lovely comments and feedback and noticing our root beer on tap! Your so right is really goes well with spiced rum!!!!

See you soon at The Local! Happy Halloween!

Reviewed October 20, 2013 via mobile

We have friends who had been telling us to try The Local for awhile now, now that we have I'm wondering what took us so long. Our server was delightful, attentive and efficient. She was able to recommend beers that both my husband and I enjoyed. With such a great selection of craft beer it was hard to make a decision so her help was greatly appreciated.

For dinner my husband had the Angus burger and couldn't say enough good things about it. It was fresh, full of flavour and just enough for him. I had the Reuben sandwich, by far the best Reuben I have ever had. It was full of meat had just enough kraut it was juicy and delicious.

Overall our experience at The Local exceeded our expectations. Live music, good beer and great food! We will for sure be back and telling everyone we know.

Dear M_0976

It can sometimes be a little daunting to try a small restaurant that doesn't have a chain name attached to it or fancy signs luring you in! We appreciate you taking the time to try us out and are over the moon that you enjoyed your very first experience at The Local.

We look forward to your next visit where you can try another great craft beer and yummy pub food!