“Great way to finish a hectic, multi centre holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Manama
“Great way to finish a hectic, multi centre holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 8, 2014

We finished our family holiday with 3 nights at the Horseshoe Resort after visiting London, Washington, New York and Toronto. My wife thought it would be a good idea to wind down with some physical outdoor activities and chose the Resort. She was right in every respect and the Horseshoe Resort was a great choice. Tree Top Trekking, 2000 ft zip line, ATV's and an amazing Hummer drive through tracks and trails in the forest meant we were all worn out each night. The Inn at the Resort provided good basic accommodation and although food choices were somewhat restricted to the Crazy Horse Tavern and Hotel Restaurant, it was good quality and there was a fair amount of choice on each menu. The Spa, although small offered a good quality service and provided very friendly, efficient staff. In fact the staff throughout the Resort were friendly and went out of there way to provide assistance. All in all a great way to end a hectic, holiday!

Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your review.

What a great finish to your family vacation. I was delighted you enjoyed all of the adventures and activities, variety of quality food and the Shizen Spa. I will forward your comments to the rest of the Horseshoe Team.

Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

Knowing how dog owners often put their pet’s interests ahead of their own creature comforts I will start with Bentley’s rating which was a 5 tail wag, his top box rating.

How so ?

Our room #114 was on the ground floor very close to an exit door leading out to a grassy knoll above a golf green. This meant we could use it quickly and quietly when nature called to Bentley in the middle of the night.

Another contributing factor was the Hotel’s doggie welcome kit complete with a letter from the Hotel’s top dog, a roll of poop bags, some lovely dog treats and a very amusing door hanger advising staff that there was a doggie guest in the room. A brilliantly conceived piece !

Another unexpected bonus was the acceptance of dogs on the patio level of the Crazy Horse restaurant. This was a real bonus being able to have our meals with Bentley, a welcome change from the usual practice of a carry out meal eaten in one’s Hotel Room

And perhaps the best of all was the attitude of the reception staff. They invariably came out from behind their counter to pet him on our way in and way out of the Hotel during our 2 day stay saying lots of nice things to him and about him.

Maybe that is because he is an English bulldog………….. !

‘nuff said !

So how did his Master and Mistress fare.

By all accounts very well in the end but not at the outset when we read the Trip Advisor reviews which made us a little uneasy about the rooms.

We eventually realized that there are two separate buildings

Make sure that when reading Trip Advisor Reviews for Horseshoe you make the differentiation between the Main Lodge reviews and the Condo reviews. From what we read the Condo units are pretty tired whereas the Main Lodge rooms are by contrast extremely nice having been recently completely renovated to a very high standard.

Room 114 is in the Main Lodge. It is a large room on two levels with a separate seating area a couple of steps down from the bedroom. The tub is huge and the shower stall of similar size.

All in all a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting yours and your English Bull dog's review.

I was delighted to hear you enjoyed the guest room and the doggie welcome kit.

We have renovated some of our two bedroom condos and I am looking forward to you trying out our new product. We have been making consistent investments in the resort as we continue to renovate and improve.

Many Thanks
Hamilton, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

My 4 children and I recently stayed at Horseshoe Resort for a night, and we had Adventure passes to use the next day, which I will review separately. The hotel was located very conveniently next to the Adventure park, so it is a very small walk to the park for activities.
The hotel room was clean, and the beds were comfortable. The bathroom was large, with a nice, bright, roomy shower.
The room had a small fridge, which was nice. I do wish there had been a mirror outside the bathroom to make it easier for several people to get ready in the morning.
The disappointment really came in the pool area. Because the adventure passes all have to be used the same day, on the day of arrival we didn't feel we had enough time to maximize the passes, so we figured we would enjoy the hotel and pool and use the passes when the park opened the next day. Well, the indoor pool was so cold that none of us enjoyed using it. There is an outdoor pool, which was warmer, but the inside of the pool was so old, when sitting on the step you could feel all the peeling paint that was coming off in sheets. There was even paint that had been peeled off and set on the side of the pool. Also, there were staff painting the wood fencing around the pool with what I assume was an oil based paint, and the smell was nauseating. None of us could stand being in the pool for that reason, and it probably explained why no one else was out there. So unfortunately we ended driving all the way back to Barrie for something to do, returning to the hotel after dinner.
I feel for the price some updating needs to happen....

Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post both of your reviews.

I was delighted your family enjoyed all of the adventures & activities at the Adventure Park and found your guest room to be clean and comfortable.

I appreciate your comments on the outdoor Inn pool, we have completed the repairs and rectified this situation immediately.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon!

Mississauga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2014

We loved our family weekend summer adventure to Horseshoe Valley. There was so much to do for both adults and kids. We will be certainly return again for more fun. Rooms are clean and comfortable and staff is very friendly and family orientated. As avid winter snowboarders, we are now fans of what horseshoe has to offer in the summer too!! You really need to go!

• Stayed August 2014
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your comments & feedback.

I was delighted to hear the whole family enjoyed your summer adventure at the resort and you found the rooms to be clean and comfortable and the staff friendly and family oriented.

We look forward to welcoming you back for adventures for every season!

Sarnia, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Rented the two bedroom condo for 4 nights. The kids had a blast at the Adventure Park, but I thought the passes were a bit pricey for the amount of time you get to use them. The park opens at 11:00 and closes at 6:00, so when we bought our tickets at 1:00 felt we had to race through the park to use up the pass because it would not be good the following day. My 6 and 4 year old quickly got exhausted and we did not get to use some of the attractions on the pass. Would have been nice to use the following day when the park opened to make up for the late start.
As for the condo. It was great for our family! Lots of room and we got lots of use out of the kitchen. Only complaint is that the room is a bit dated, could use a make over!
I was in a wedding on the Saturday and booked a full mani/pedi at 9am the day of the wedding. When I arrived for my appointment, I was not in the system despite my e-mail confirmation. They apologized and got me in for 10:00 for a quick color job as my nails were naked! When I finished they offered me a full treatment the next day, but when I told them I would not be able to use it as we had to pack up the room, and head to the wedding brunch for 11:ooam. With that being said, I still had to pay for my color treatment with no extra thought about my missed relaxation time away from the family, of which, I was truly looking forward to!

Room Tip: If you have a family, get the condo!
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 12, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your review.

I was delighted to hear the kids had a blast in the adventure park and you found the condo unit to be comfortable & spacious for your family.

I understand you have been communicating with our Shizen Spa Manager and she has arranged for a complimentary visit for you to enjoy some relaxation time.

Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

We've stayed at Horseshoe for a long weekend each summer for the past few years to attend a baseball tournament in Orillia. It's a great place to turn the kids loose without worrying about their safety. It has everything the kids love, including indoor and outdoor pools and the Adventure Park. The rooms have been recently renovated and in general are decent, but this resort does not excel at the details. The air conditioning worked poorly - we had to have a fan brought in to cool the room down. But the in-room fridge kept the beverages nicely chilled. The food at the Crazy Horse is mediocre at best. Beyond the burgers there isn't anything I could recommend. And the prices are steep - there is no restaurant alternative within a 20 minute drive and the prices reflect this. The kids would give this place 5 stars, the parents closer to 2, so I'd saw it off at 3.5 out of 5. Just enough to keep us coming back for next year's tournament!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 10, 2014
Thank you for posting your comments and feedback.

I am delighted the kids had such a great time with all of the activities, we really do appreciate that you return every year.

I was very disappointed to hear your comments on the Crazy Horse Restaurant and would like to turn your experience around when you do return.

Please feel free to give me a call in advance of your next stay. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Waterdown, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2014

Went here with another family so 4 adults and 3 kids aged 11 and 12. Rooms were nice.First thing to know there are lots of great activities. Mini putt, climbing wall, Ogo ball (you only get 1 roll down the hill additional rolls are $7-SERIOUSLY) and ziplining plus other minor activities. Second to know, they don't open until 11AM and they close at 5PM. Short hours to get it all in and a late start for kids who are excited. Third to know, when you book only one night, you are only able to use the activities on ONE of those days. Important to know!! Another major issue was lack of knowledge. It seemed everyone we asked a question of, had a different answer. Lots of conflicting answers even from staff who were standing right next to each other. Very unprofessional, especially in a service industry. We wanted to do the The Tree Top Trekking. The hotel heavily advertises it on the website and with posters inside the hotel. When we checked in, our "service representative" told us we could book it through her. We came back approx an hour later and asked to do so and a different front desk girl told us that "They" have nothing to do with us you'll have to walk over and find out for yourself! We did just that and found they were much friendlier than the hotel staff. They didn't say much but there is clearly some sort of power struggle going on between the resort and the Trekking. For kids of a similar age, I would stay somewhere else as no breakfast was included and on site restaurants were expensive. If you stay at the hotel, get all of the details in an email prior to going as there is far too much contradicting going on at their desks. Definitely do the Tree Top Trekking. Takes approximately 3 hours and is great exercise and fun!!!

Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2014
Thank you for posting your review.

I was disappointed to read of your experience and I want to sincerely apologize for any miscommunication.

I was happy to hear you found Treetop Trekking to be great exercise and a lot of fun. TreeTop is one of our 3rd party partners in which we have a wonderful working relationship with.

Please feel free to contact me at the resort to discuss your experience.

Lisa Reid