“Stinky, dirty, old”

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
“Stinky, dirty, old”
Reviewed July 27, 2014

The photos on the web is a 5star but the actual condo room for me is a 2star not even. The cost for the two bedroom condo with kitchen and living room is $354. It is too much for 2 nights thinking it was already 50% on the 2nd night...for the actual place totally far from photos.

• Stayed July 2014
2 Thank Jmmc18
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to post your comments.

I was disappointed to read of your experience with your two bedroom condo. We have been making consistent investments in the resort and we continue to renovate and improve.

I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly to discuss your experience.

Lisa Reid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2014 via mobile

Main outside pool is still broken, everytime I visit never open! Shampoo bottles in shower were empty, air conditioning did not work thankfully it wasn't too hot!!! And the worse part were the dogs that barked in the hallway everytime they entered or exited their room!! Crazy horse service was extremely slow, there were flies everywhere inside the restaurant.... Def not more the 3 star

Stayed July 2014
2 Thank mybele
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Thank you for taking a moment to post your comments.

I am very excited to let you know that our outdoor pool at the Hotel is also open!

I was disappointed to read of your experience with your stay. I would appreciate it if you would contact me directly to discuss.

Lisa Reid

Travelers are raving about these Barrie hotels

Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed July 25, 2014

My family loved the Horseshoe. There was something for everyone to do. The staff went above and beyond. It isn't a five-star place. In some places it is slightly rundown. Nonetheless, we had a blast and thought it was great. It is perfect if you seek a casual, comfortable resort for the family.

• Stayed July 2014
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your feedback.

I was delighted to read your family had a great time with something for everyone to do. We get a lot of great feedback regarding our staff and I will be sure to pass on your comments to the rest of the Horseshoe Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Thanks again,
Lisa
TORONTO
Reviewed July 24, 2014

First time visit and 2 night stay to this jewel of a resort west of BARRIE, Ontario. Glorious beauty surrounds this sanctuary away from the urban jungle. Many green and beautiful trees, spacious grounds, next to a golf course. Lots of activities to participate in, horseback riding, swimming, biking , archery, and many more simply fun things to do. Room was spotless, in particular the bathroom, their cleaning staff apparently take great pride in their duties.

Silk restaurant, excellent menu with good variety, prices reasonable , and the Skyline club, causal , menu is tops for variety and reasonable prices. Service staff is quite friendly and courteous, and hired from around the area, hence the relaxed way about them, even if not all are from the area, they are all pleasant and very helpful.

Meals, were happy, in both places, driving around is simply restorative to ones health as the scenery is breathtaking. Of course in the winter, this place is hopping with the ski crowd and I can see why , it begs families to come in and enjoy the activities.One can purchase a condo and or a vacation plan here, all very interesting, development is underway for additional lodgings etc. KB

KB

Room Tip: We stayed on ground floor, however did see rooms on the higher floors, good views everywhere.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Thank you for your great review and staying with us while on business.

I was happy to hear you had a great time and I will be sure to share your comments & feedback with the rest of the Horseshoe Team.

If you would like some further information on having a conference/meeting at the Resort, please feel free to contact me directly. We have a great Conference and Food & Beverage Team that can execute your conference expertly.

We look forward to welcoming you back!

Thanks again,
Hamilton, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2014

3rd stay on the property (2nd time in the condos) and it's really showing its age. Stained carpets, peeling wallpaper. We paid an insane amt for 2 nights (premium rate due to the Warrior Dash race) and were very disappointed. We arrived to garbage in the bag under the sink, and an old stove with the rear burner not working. No one came to clean the room or even to replace towels - we are lucky we caught an employee going around with a large garbage bag so we could empty ours. WiFi in the rooms was practically nonexistent. We were on the bottom level, and the paint on the ceiling of the outdoor walkway was peeling off and just hanging there (surely someone could have scraped it off to make it more presentable). We won't be back.

1 Thank Polarbeargirl2
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for visiting us again and taking the time to post your feedback.

I am disappointed to read of your experience with your guest room. We have been making consistent investments in the resort and we continue to renovate.

Many thanks in advance,
Owen Sound, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2014

We needed a quick, local getaway and Horseshoe provided that opportunity. Travelling with my husband, and two children (under 11) our destination was the adventure park. We had driven there last year for a day (drove in an out) and this year we wanted to add the nights stay.
Upon our arrival we learned that it was the "Warrior Dash" weekend and thousands of people were on site to do it. Our shoulders were heavy when we drove past the police at the entrance directing traffic. We were SO EXCITED to find parking, several spaces available right up close to the resort. The adventure park was not very busy at all and the kid's didn't even have to wait in line for any of the programs. We each ziplined twice and there was only 4-5 people ahead of us each time. I am still in awe how we didn't have to wait for anything despite the sheer volume of people on site. In the adventure park the staff were great to the children.There is a magic show to entertain them several times a day, each show was different. We played mini golf. When we checked into our room at 5 the front desk staff were very quick and provided all kinds of information about the hotel amenities. With such a large property a lot can be missed. Our room was clean, minimally appointed. A little bit of dust on the flat table tops, room might not have been used in a week?? Didn't bother me one bit. At first I was surprised, disappointed no bathtub, but then in hind sight, we were never in our room long enough to use anyway. We left to go have a good dinner in Crazy Horse, (again no line up- we were shocked). For breakfast we enjoyed their buffet at Silks.
We were so busy we didn't even get into the pool (which is why we stay in hotels). We did pass by them. The one smaller outdoor didn't look like it was in service but the larger one certainly looked nice and the indoor appeared nice too.
All in all we had a great overnight trip and the kids never complained once. It was all about them. Horseshoe really planned their staffing well not to encounter any line ups, traffic jams etc. Well done!

Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for posting your comments and feedback.

I was thrilled to hear you had a great stay with your family and a wonderful time in the Adventure Park. I will pass on your comments to the Adventure Park staff and the resort of the Horseshoe Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Horseshoe Resort!

Many Thanks,
Lisa
Binbrook, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2014

My wife bought the WagJag deal for $399.00 for 2 nights that included the Park passes for 1 day.
As soon as we walked into the room my 18 and 13 year old wanted to leave. The smell in the room was overwhelming, damp, mouldy. The floors were stained and sticky as were the tables.
The place is well worn down, as it looks like the previous owners never put any money back into the place. The food is subpar and expensive. The Zip line was the only thing worth doing in the Park. The pools, one closed the other open but very worn down. Our room over looked pool and on the first night I observed a mother remove her kids bathing suit that he had just soiled and washed him down with pool water , then proceeded to wash his suit out in the water. Other then the bed mattress being comfortable, not much else to say good about this Resort

Room Tip: Worn down rooms, might be remodeled rooms some where.
1 Thank Mceddy6
Lisa R, Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, July 24, 2014
Thank you for staying with us and posting your comments.

I was very dissappointed to read your feedback and I want to sincerely apologize for your experience.

I would like to speak with you further, If it is not too inconvenient please give me a call or email me at lisar@horseshoeresort.com to discuss further.

Lisa Reid ext. 1181