Horseshoe Resort
Average 3/5
Barrie Motel(Barrie)
Average 3/5
1,155 results
All reviewscrazy horsemini golfloft suitecopeland housetreetop trekkingrock climbingsnow tubingski hillmarch breakrecommend this resortnight skiinglift ticketssitting areaski tripnice resortoutdoor activitiesgreat weekend
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 8, 2013

The room is very big .... I think they finished renovating .... Everything looks new! In the evening we ate in the restaurant .... The food was really good .... So breakfast .....
up to now this is a boring review blah blah blah blah .... & then started the madness!!! We rented 4 buggies, more than an hour & we drove along the paths of the forest nearby.
We were 4 buggies and guide. The only thing that might explain how much I enjoyed all .... Until now, after ± 10 hours i'm still smiling.
Great experience so next year I'm taking my wife and my 3 daughters. btw .... I know they have more to offer .... Unfortunately I came to work ....

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

The only solution to this is to come back again!

Thank you for visiting the Resort and for posting your feedback. I am so delighted that you went out for ride and found it to be so much fun. The Resort does have a lot of activities for the adrenalin junkie, and you need to take the time to enjoy them all.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon - perhpas some skiing this winter will add another thrill?

All the best,

Reviewed October 6, 2013

For some reason I thought this was an old resort and well it is - the room's have been recently renovated and modern. I had a hotel room - some of my colleagues had suites - which were even nicer with soaker tubs and fireplaces.
The property is very nice with LOTS of places to go for a walk. The Adventure Park looked like fun - didn't have time to check it out.
The staff were very friendly.
I would recommend that this is a great place for families.
The food was amazing - everything was tasty.
It was pretty to be in the outside tent eating - they do lots of wedding there. The venue for a working meeting was more rustic although satisfactory.

Room Tip: Different views from different rooms - if you have a preference
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your review Elizabeth!

The resort turned 50 this year and we are so pleased with the renovations and improvements we have been able to introduce this past year. I am delighted that you enjoyed these, the outdoor venues and the food and service.

We do hope that you next visit is one with friends and family to enjoy some leisure time.

Wishing you all the best,

Reviewed September 30, 2013

First off, I'm glad I read the reviews here prior to booking as I took into account everyone's tips and experiences. Based on the reviews, myself and wife booked a Valley view room in the main hotel complex. The room was excellent and I couldn't find fault with it. That said, check your emails before you go - I got inexplicably bumped off my original booking and was given a courtyard view - and so I had to call customer service to get back my original booking.

On the not so good we arrived on a Saturday and we went for a late afternoon stroll around the complex. It was drizzling rain slightly and the onsite coffee places and casual eating places were all shut/closed. It felt eerily reminiscent of some Stephen King novel where everyone has disappeared and the play areas were deserted. I can understand places shutting early but for everything to be closed is not something I could visualize at other better known resorts - thus I'm withholding one star from my overall assessment.

Both the Crazy Horse restaurant and the breakfast dining are to be recommended. Would I go again ? Probably but when the place is a lot more busy outside.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for a candid review!

I am glad that you enjoyed the investments we have made in the property and that you took the time to read the reviews. Our newly renovated rooms are an excellent experience.

I am disappointed that you did not get a chance to experience all of the venues and do hope that you return during the winter to see all of the services open to you.

Looking forward to hosting you again,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

It was our 10th wedding anniversary and even though we are homebodies, we decided because it was such a big day that we would get my parents to watch the kids for a night, take the Friday of work (which was our actual anniversary date) and head somewhere for the night. We looked around at several packages, specifically looking for ones that included a couples massage (neither of us have ever had a professional massage and thought this would be a great chance to get one) and included a whirlpool/jacuzzi tub.
We happened upon the Play and Relax package at Horseshoe resort which included a room with fireplace and "whirlpool tub", included a couples massage, a bottle of champagne, dinner and buffet breakfast. Sounded perfect. We booked through the website and then once booked, I called the spa to make our massage appointment. We decided to make it for 3 pm on the Friday as it was an our long and check-in was at 4pm.

Our anniverasary came and we hit the road from Brampton and then received a phone call just after 1pm. It was the spa calling to confirm that we were coming to our massage. I said we were and she replied "well your massage was for 1 and it is now 10 after." I quickly corrected her and told her our massage was for 3. To which she replied that they were now fully booked for the weekend. I told her that was unacceptable and she said she'd look into it and call me back. An hour and a half later, she calls back and says that they can fit us in at 9:15 Saturday morning. So our one night away from the kids, when we would actually get a chance to sleep in, we now had to get up early the next morning. As the massage was one of the key reasons we came to this resort, we took the 9:15 appt as we didn't want to miss out.

As we had planned on being at the spa for 3 for our originally scheduled massage, we arrived around 2:45 and were hoping for an early check in. The resort lobby was pure chaos. People arriving for a wedding, many Georgian College students doing an amazing race type activity and the lady at the front desk was on the phone with what seemed like a staff member and then was trying on another phone and walkie talkie to get a hold of another staff member. We waited for 15 minutes before we were even addressed. Luckily we were able to check in early... however she was still very distracted with the staff members, trying to track someone down, she didn't make eye contact or even smile at us. She asked "how many cards?" I replied "One will be fine." and then she handed us 2. Good thing she was listening to me. She didn't give us any info about the resort, the adventure park, hiking trails, anything. We got the impression that she just wanted to get rid of us.

We get to our room and quickly realize that the "whirlpool tub" which we thought would have jets, was in fact just a big bath tub. And looking out our window to see the reception tent for the wedding. Normally we would've gone to the front desk to ask to be moved, but we were already so flustered with everything, we didn't want to have to go through that too. It's funny that you would think that they would've put someone that was going to the wedding in the room beside the reception tent... Later on this proved to be very loud. Good thing we liked the music. I could sing to it while lying in bed.

With our package stating that it included a bottle of champagne, we were waiting for it to arrive... it never did. We didn't really think that we needed to ask for it!!

We went to Silks Lounge for dinner and thank goodness it was amazing. Food and service were great.

Headed back to our room after dinner, by now it was pouring rain outside, and turned on the TV to see that with the rain the satelite was not working and we couldn't get anything on any channel. There wasn't even an option for movies. Luckily we had the blaring music from the reception outside our window that we could dance too. LOL.

Next morning, up early as we have our massage from 9:15 to 10:15 and breakfast ends at 10:30 and check out is 11. We decided to check out then before our massage. Checking out was almost the same as checking in. Wasn't as busy, but definitely not friendly. No one ever asked how our stay was, if we enjoyed ourselves...

After check out we headed to the spa for our massage. Our massages were ok. My husband enjoyed his more than I did. Some spots that weren't even bothering me were worked on for far too long and my tense shoulders were barely touched. My first impression of a professional massage was not good at all. As we are walking out of our massage the lady at the desk of the spa says "Your package covered $100 towards your massage so you owe $70." Knowing that it said that a couples massage was included in the package I argued with her. She then called down to the front desk to confirm. In her conversation with the front desk, we hear her say that the massages were done by esthecians not RMTs, so we cannot get it covered by our benefits. Never were we told that they would not be RMTs!! The front desk then tells her that the massages are not covered if it is not RMTs. I am surprised, but not totally shocked as I thought our package included champagne and a tub with jets... So because we were upset she gave us a 50% discount and then we paid $85. Immediately we went to the front desk to ask for a manager, to find out that there was no manager on duty until 2pm. The lady at the front desk realized that there was miscommunication between her and the lady at the spa and told us that in fact our massage was part of our package and that we could go back to the spa to get a refund on our $85.

It was now 10:45 and the buffet was supposed to end at 10:30... luckily there were still bits and pieces around enough for us to have a good breakfast. After breakfast we went to the spa to get a refund and then got out of that resort as fast as we could!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Christina D
Reviewed September 19, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at Horseshoe Valley for 2 nights on a work trip. I stayed in the grey stone building next to the Crazy Horse pub which houses all the condo suites. My suite was spacious and decently clean, but not totally spotless. The bathrooms are outfitted with lots if towels and great toiletries. The kitchen has everything you could want or need to cook and entertain in room. A quick, simple stay. Would come again if I ever find myself coming to ski or snowboard on an overnight trip in Barrie.

• Stayed: September 2013
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Thank you so much for visiting the Resort and for taking the time to post your feedback.

We are delighted to read that you enjoyed the stay and that you would be open to coming back if business brings you back our way.

Please do not hesitate to contact me abour you next stay - and hopefully there is a chance to have some leisure time wtih us.

All the best,