“This is not a luxury resort...”
Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Toronto, Canada
“This is not a luxury resort...”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

We visited Horseshoe the weekend of August 24th 2013. The main building was nice with a clean lobby and helpful front desk attendants.The room itself was fine, clean and tidy, although there was a lack the useful information for people who are away from their homes that you can usually find in a hotel room, such as restaurant menus, things to do, etc. Also, there was only basic cable and no option for movie purchases which would have been nice in the late evening, but oh well. We did dine in the restaurants, both The Crazy Horse and Silk, and the food was great. We made use of the spa services as well, and they were very well done.

When we tried the indoor pool area, we noticed it was dated and looked grimy in spots, and the sauna was a warm summer day's temperature at best, so..not very hot at all! The huge gap under the door might be a cause of this. Very old. The boards on the bench looked about ready to collapse. Which was hugely disappointing for us as we love saunas, even dry saunas. We went to try the outdoor pool area, and the first thing we noticed was the state of the building (suite building?) which is a separate building from the main building. It was a wreck! Holes in the wall, torn carpet, dirt... neither of the saunas in the men's or ladies change rooms worked at all and the entire pool area was quite grimy. My husband even hit the emergency button because he thought it was the jet spa button, but no alarm sounded and no one came to the rescue! Safety issues...

So overall, we found that while the resort was ok if you don't ask for much. (Except for an empty wallet, as it costs TOO much to stay at a place of such low quality). We won't be going back and will go to a different resort next time to get some of the luxuries that we thought we has paid for that weekend. Not a major deal, but a bit of a bummer.

Room Tip: We chose a King Courtyard side in the main Inn, and we got the end room facing the golf course. it w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and for posting your feedback.

Horseshoe Resort continues to undergo a massive investment to upgrade our facilties. We are not a luxury resort, and are striving to create a lifestyle that is active, accessible and inclusive. I am delighted that you found the food, spa and service to be well executed. We are in full control of these elements and have made great strides in improving them.

We will continue to improve the infrastructure and renovate spaces moving ahead to re-position the Resort in our marketplace. I do hope that you would return in the future to enjoy these improvements and the services that you enjoyed this time out.

Sean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (185)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barrie, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We stayed in a two bedroom condo suite. The building itself looks like it's falling apart, complete with caution tape in areas. The elevators were out of order and apparently had been for weeks, although we did see repairmen working on them. We were offered porter service to help us take our luggage up the worn stairs, but the porters were gone and a petite housekeeper was sent instead. The decor in the suite is quite outdated. The single beds in the first bedroom were too small for my teens and there's certainly room for a queen or king bed in the master bedroom. The pillows were very hard and there was an actual layer of dust on the dresser that I could draw a line in. The "fully equipped kitchen" was lacking in pans to cook anything inside the oven. Our package included chicken and vegetables with instructions to sauté them, but there was only one pan of the appropriate size, so we had to saute the chicken first, then use that same pan to saute the vegetables after. There was also no guest information booklet in the room to let us know about the amenities and how to take advantage of them, such as the location and hours of the pools and towels. The indoor hot tub was out of service and the room was filled with supplies instead. Another frustration was the internet service. When we arrived, we were not able to connect to the internet. When I informed the front desk of the problem, I was told that the internet works best closer to the balcony due to the surrounding concrete, but we could not connect even while on the balcony. 24 hours later, the internet suddenly started working (although slow), so the concrete obviously wasn't the problem.
The reason for our visit was the adventure park. With the Ogo ball out of service, there is not a lot for teens, since mine were not interested in the mining and are too big for the Euro bungy. That left the maze, rock climbing, zip line (that we were allowed to do twice due to the Ogo closure) and mini golf. We left the mini golf for later in the day to avoid the crowds and heat, but were surprised to find that the lights are just for show, since they were not turned on, so we had to finish our round in the dark.
So our visit was fine but not the quality one would expect from a "resort".

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for visiting us and for taking the time to post your feedback.

I am disappointed to read of the frustrations you encountered. Particularly with those that we are in control of. Each of these will be reviewed and actioned as needed.

Horseshoe does provide a wide array of activities and creating the resort lifestyle is our aim. We do continue to invest large sums of money in improving the spaces at the Resort. To date our ownership group has spent nearly 13 million since acquiring the property four years ago. This investment continues and as we upgrade the physical spaces we are working on our service and services as well.

We do value your feedback and thank you again for staying with us,

Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We went on this hummer tour back in may with a family group, kids and grandmas alike, and it was really quite a hoot! Grandma sat in the front seat where the ride was not as rough and she was fine there, and most of us, including the kids, sat in the rear. We all had a blast!
Seeing as how I own my own off road toy I thought I might find this a bit like a lazy river, but I was thoroughly impressed with the capabilities of the old school hummer. It's impressive the hills that it can climb and the side hills it can traverse. At one point, we bypassed this steep hill, kinda hidden in the trees, I caught it out of the corner of my eye and thought it was a quad trail, didn't really think much of it. The next thing you know, we are backing up and I realized where we're going; to which someone said, OMG, we're not going down there are we! Of course we are! Haha! That was right around the time highway to hell came on the radio... epic!

I would recommend this tour to anyone and would definitely do it again myself.

Room Tip: Did not stay over night.
Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Thank you so much for visiting and for taking time to post your review on Hummer Tours.

Mike at Hummer does an outstanding job and the tour is a really enjoyable experience for riders of all ages. It is one of the really great ways to explore the beauty of our area and to have a soft adventure at the same time.

We hope you do return and enjoy the tour again, along with the other activities at the resort.

Richmond Hill, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently spent two nights at Horseshoe. My husband and I and our two kids aged 11 and 16. We had a room with two queen beds and a lower level with enough space for a rollaway bed, seating and a fireplace (electric). The room was nice, beds comfortable and we loved the bathroom renovation. The staff at the resort was very friendly and helpful. The outdoor pool at the Inn was not open so we went over to the pool by the condo, but it was not very clean and we found it too cold. The indoor pool at the Inn was warmer but we found that it too could use a good cleaning. Wasn't cleaned at all during our two day stay. We had a good time in the adventure park - good for kids under 12, though my son (16) did play mini-golf with us. My husband and son enjoyed the Zip line and the Segway tour. We all did the Hummer tour - definitely the highlight of the trip - great fun! Hard to find a place that has activities that my teenaged son will enjoy as well as my younger daughter - the activities at Horseshoe fit the bill. I would recommend becoming a Skyliferewards member as it saved us quite a bit of money on the room. food and activities. It's free to sign up and worth it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
So glad that you had a good time with us and thank you for saying so in your post!

I am very pleased to read you enjoyed the renovated rooms and in particular the bathrooms. We get very positive feedback on these renovations and will be adopting a similar style in the condo rooms moving forward.

The pools have enjoyed very heavy usage this year with the 1 outdoor pool closed while under renovations. We do test and clean the pools every day, so I am unsure of your comment in regards to them not being cleaned on the days you were here. I will follow up with our maintenance team on this. We will be renovating the indoor pool moving forward and will deal with the out-dated feel issue.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Maple, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed for two nights with my family, the room is nicely updated. First the room was missing a coffee maker, not a big deal! But when the nearest coffee shop is car ride away, this was annoying. The restaurant on site is ok, the prices seem fair. Now for the not so ok! The outdoor pool on site is being worked on, so I had to walk to the other building to use the outdoor pool. Walking through the run down condo building to get to the pool and when we arrived no towels and the pool it self was filled with leafs and other items. My two days there I've never seen no personnel walk through the pool area in my two night stay. **note** the Adventure park is closed on Monday's. My rating says it all, it's ok.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us Tom and for taking time to post your review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the room and the food at the Resort, but am disappointed with the other frustrations you faced. I will review these with my team and ensure that simple matters like the restocking of towels are not missed.

Wishing you all the best and hoping that you would give us a try this ski season,

Sean

Travelers are raving about these Barrie hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I recently booked three nights to do some mtb with my son but yesterday I had an accident and dislocated my shoulder. I called to cancel and was informed that I would be charged the entire amount as I needed to cancel 7 days prior. I told the girl there policy was one nights deposit. She argued and insisted I would be charged even though I had an email clearly outlining their policy. At this point she backed down and said it would be ony throne night...an obvious attempt to rip me off. Bad enough the take the deposit bu to blatantly lie is not acceptable. Avoid this resort and any other skyline resorts!!!

Room Tip: Book another resort
1 Thank PJ K
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for posting your experience. We learn about these things by people sharing feedback and can respond appropriately.

I am very sorry to hear that you had an accident and hope you are recovering well.

A member of my team will be tracing the reservation and making contact with you. It appears that we have already refunded your deposit and we want to confirm this with you.

We do hope you will come up to bike again when your shoulder heals and try the course that is ready for the Championships on September 8th.

Toronto
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked through Expedia for a one night weekend stay. We stayed at the Inn (not the condos) and thought it was a very nice renovation that they did on the room. The bathroom itself would rival any Hyatt hotel. Beds were comfy and the room was spacious. There was a roomy small fridge and a very nice hair dryer in the room. The only problem was the noise from the outside hallway. This isn't really the hotel's fault; just some very inconsiderate guests who thought talking and laughing out loud is appropriate at 11pm (and then again some time during the middle of the night.)
Our kids loved the adventure park. Plenty of activities for them to do there, and there were no long lineups, thankfully.
One of the things that frustrated us was that there was hardly any signage on the grounds. Even figuring out where to go for check-in was hard. Once we did check in, we asked the front desk employee how to get to the outdoor pool. She pointed and said "walk straight out there and enter through the side." She failed to mention which side (we tried both). We had to get one of the maids in the condo building to show us how to get there (you had to enter in through a door at the side, walk down some stairs to the basement, turn left, walk down a hallway, and then enter through the changerooms.) Also, they gave us a map with hiking trails on it, but none of the trails were marked with signage, so we had no idea where they were.
Overall it was an okay place to stay, but I'm not sure if I'd go back there again. Might try some other resorts next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to post your feedback.

Thank you for your comments on the phase of renovations that we have completed recently. I am delighted that you enjoyed the bathroom work done and I appreciate the comparison to a big brand like Hyatt.

I am disappointed that noise disrupted your visit and that you were not given clear directions and maps. I will follow up on both issues with our team.

We do hope that you might bring the family back this winter to enjoy all of the snow sports that the resort offers.