“Good time at Horseshoe”

Ranked #7 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Richmond Hill, Canada
“Good time at Horseshoe”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

We recently spent two nights at Horseshoe. My husband and I and our two kids aged 11 and 16. We had a room with two queen beds and a lower level with enough space for a rollaway bed, seating and a fireplace (electric). The room was nice, beds comfortable and we loved the bathroom renovation. The staff at the resort was very friendly and helpful. The outdoor pool at the Inn was not open so we went over to the pool by the condo, but it was not very clean and we found it too cold. The indoor pool at the Inn was warmer but we found that it too could use a good cleaning. Wasn't cleaned at all during our two day stay. We had a good time in the adventure park - good for kids under 12, though my son (16) did play mini-golf with us. My husband and son enjoyed the Zip line and the Segway tour. We all did the Hummer tour - definitely the highlight of the trip - great fun! Hard to find a place that has activities that my teenaged son will enjoy as well as my younger daughter - the activities at Horseshoe fit the bill. I would recommend becoming a Skyliferewards member as it saved us quite a bit of money on the room. food and activities. It's free to sign up and worth it!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
So glad that you had a good time with us and thank you for saying so in your post!

I am very pleased to read you enjoyed the renovated rooms and in particular the bathrooms. We get very positive feedback on these renovations and will be adopting a similar style in the condo rooms moving forward.

The pools have enjoyed very heavy usage this year with the 1 outdoor pool closed while under renovations. We do test and clean the pools every day, so I am unsure of your comment in regards to them not being cleaned on the days you were here. I will follow up with our maintenance team on this. We will be renovating the indoor pool moving forward and will deal with the out-dated feel issue.

We do look forward to welcoming you back soon,

Sean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Maple, Canada
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I stayed for two nights with my family, the room is nicely updated. First the room was missing a coffee maker, not a big deal! But when the nearest coffee shop is car ride away, this was annoying. The restaurant on site is ok, the prices seem fair. Now for the not so ok! The outdoor pool on site is being worked on, so I had to walk to the other building to use the outdoor pool. Walking through the run down condo building to get to the pool and when we arrived no towels and the pool it self was filled with leafs and other items. My two days there I've never seen no personnel walk through the pool area in my two night stay. **note** the Adventure park is closed on Monday's. My rating says it all, it's ok.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for staying with us Tom and for taking time to post your review.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the room and the food at the Resort, but am disappointed with the other frustrations you faced. I will review these with my team and ensure that simple matters like the restocking of towels are not missed.

Wishing you all the best and hoping that you would give us a try this ski season,

Sean

Travelers are raving about these Barrie hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2013

I recently booked three nights to do some mtb with my son but yesterday I had an accident and dislocated my shoulder. I called to cancel and was informed that I would be charged the entire amount as I needed to cancel 7 days prior. I told the girl there policy was one nights deposit. She argued and insisted I would be charged even though I had an email clearly outlining their policy. At this point she backed down and said it would be ony throne night...an obvious attempt to rip me off. Bad enough the take the deposit bu to blatantly lie is not acceptable. Avoid this resort and any other skyline resorts!!!

Room Tip: Book another resort
1 Thank PJ K
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 28, 2013
Thank you for posting your experience. We learn about these things by people sharing feedback and can respond appropriately.

I am very sorry to hear that you had an accident and hope you are recovering well.

A member of my team will be tracing the reservation and making contact with you. It appears that we have already refunded your deposit and we want to confirm this with you.

We do hope you will come up to bike again when your shoulder heals and try the course that is ready for the Championships on September 8th.

Toronto
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I booked through Expedia for a one night weekend stay. We stayed at the Inn (not the condos) and thought it was a very nice renovation that they did on the room. The bathroom itself would rival any Hyatt hotel. Beds were comfy and the room was spacious. There was a roomy small fridge and a very nice hair dryer in the room. The only problem was the noise from the outside hallway. This isn't really the hotel's fault; just some very inconsiderate guests who thought talking and laughing out loud is appropriate at 11pm (and then again some time during the middle of the night.)
Our kids loved the adventure park. Plenty of activities for them to do there, and there were no long lineups, thankfully.
One of the things that frustrated us was that there was hardly any signage on the grounds. Even figuring out where to go for check-in was hard. Once we did check in, we asked the front desk employee how to get to the outdoor pool. She pointed and said "walk straight out there and enter through the side." She failed to mention which side (we tried both). We had to get one of the maids in the condo building to show us how to get there (you had to enter in through a door at the side, walk down some stairs to the basement, turn left, walk down a hallway, and then enter through the changerooms.) Also, they gave us a map with hiking trails on it, but none of the trails were marked with signage, so we had no idea where they were.
Overall it was an okay place to stay, but I'm not sure if I'd go back there again. Might try some other resorts next time.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 20, 2013
Thank you so much for staying with us and taking the time to post your feedback.

Thank you for your comments on the phase of renovations that we have completed recently. I am delighted that you enjoyed the bathroom work done and I appreciate the comparison to a big brand like Hyatt.

I am disappointed that noise disrupted your visit and that you were not given clear directions and maps. I will follow up on both issues with our team.

We do hope that you might bring the family back this winter to enjoy all of the snow sports that the resort offers.

Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 17, 2013

Thank goodness that we were able to switch our original booking from the 2 bedroom condo to a loft suite at the hotel. The condos are in need of a serious make-over . Outdated and smelly.

Our suite at the hotel, on the other hand, was fresh, clean and contemporary in design. Just one thing...management may want to consider adding a convenience like a hair dryer and replacing a few missing drawers from the cabinet. Also a shame that the couch wasn't a pullout . But overall, a very comfortable stay at the hotel.

The staff was extremely accommodating and friendly. We really appreciated them - they were always pleasant, helpful and provided wonderful service. It was also nice that hotel guests were provided with complimentary freshly brewed coffee in the morning.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 19, 2013
Thank you very much for visiting and for posting your feedback.

We are ery pleased that you enjoyed the loft suites. We are adding pull-out sofas to these rooms. They and other finishing touches have not arrived yet to the Resort following our renovations.

I am most delighted that you found our staff to be warm and accommodating. We will look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

1.Two of my family members woke up with bites.....not mosquito bites!!
2.Pillows are so big and hard they felt like they are full of concrete. Closet had more of the same concrete pillows in it.
3.Extremely loud air con unit sounds like a plane taking off. Better bring earplugs...
4.Noisey. You can hear people in room above using the washroom (not just the flush). You can hear voices clearly from other rooms.
5.Wall in bedroom had something splattered up it.Nasty.
6.T V had no hdtv channels. Picture is analog and very fuzzy. Apparantly its the same in all rooms.
7.Did not sleep a wink given all of the above.
8.Indoor pool has a grimey dirt line just above water level. Tiles on floor missing around dirty drains. Very dirty pool area.
9.Overpriced crazyhorse restaurant was another disapointment. Food was sub par. Stay away from the all you can eat ribs..trust me.
10. Adventure area was fun and kids loved it. It was not busy. If it was busy it would be painfull as lineups are very slow.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Comfysleep
Thank you for staying with us and for posting your feedback.

I am very disappointed to read your feedback. Most concerning is your inference that there may be a bed-bug problem. We have not had a single case of this in my two years here, I am not able to identify from your commentary what room you may have occupied and I would like to make a full investigation with our professional pest control provider.

Please contact me directly at the Resort to discuss this and your other concerns.

Many thanks in advance,

Paris, Canada
Reviewed August 14, 2013

Stayed at the resort two night July 2 and 3rd. The deal was buy one night get second half price. When booking by phone the staff had no idea about deal, waited on hold 5 minutes. Finally received deal. No one told us resort was under construction. Made the deal really a no deal.
Rooms are tired and smell like smoke. Staff are very friendly, but cannot make up for the how run down this resort has become. Recommend you stay in Barrie and drive out to use the resorts attractions

Room Tip: First floor renovations looked to be complete when we were there.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank William D
Sean B, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for visiting us and taking the time to post your feedback.

I am disappointed to read of your experience with your guest room. We have been making consistent investments in our product and now have 100 of 140 rooms renovated. In addition, we continue to renovate and replace infrastructure and activity elements like those you mention. In all the investment is nearly 12 million under new ownership and we will continue to spend in the under capitalized portions of the resort that are left to do.

It is my hope that you will give us another try in the future and continue to access the array of activities and adventures we offer in all seasons.

Many thanks,