“Great weekend! - can't wait to go back”
Review of Horseshoe Resort

Horseshoe Resort
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Toronto, Canada
“Great weekend! - can't wait to go back”
Reviewed June 18, 2012

Overall we were very happy! we had an older room but it was one of the lofts, it was clear to see the upgrades going on in the other rooms and we are excited to see whats changed when we go back. every staff member we passed by or interacted with had a smile and friendly greeting. We left feeling like they were our family members after only two short nights.

our room was spacious and had a beautiful view. yes it needed updating ... but it was clean and thats what matters!

We enjoyed the spa, the segway tour and the mini-golf, all the staff were friendly and helpful.

the only things we would have changed - and please understand we didn't let this ruin our experience - we booked the spa and the room rate before we heard about the activity package, when i called back the reservations department didn't know much about it and couldn't answer my questions. the crazyhorse had okay food but not really a lot to choose from, it was still a little cold for the ogo park - so we'll have to return only next time we'll bring the kids!

thank-you to each of the staff throughout the entire resort - you made our stay memorable.

Room Tip: the lofts were romantic and spacious - but the tv in the lower area can be heard upstairs... and whi...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kingphypers
CamDad, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2012
Thank you for the strong endorsement of our people and your experience.

We would welcome you back for a visit with the whole family and know you will enjoy the renovated rooms and the OGO Park.

See you soon,

Sean

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Barrie Ontario
Reviewed June 7, 2012

So I will begin by saying we stayed at Horseshoe for a wedding and my husband and I are people who love to travel off the beaten path so normally stay in small rustic places. The hotel was in the midst of renovations so some areas you couldn't go, but nowhere we wanted to go anyways. Our room was originally on the second floor where we would have to use the stairs (due to the renovations we couldn't use the elevator). As my mother was staying with us, when we saw the stairs we knew it wasn't going to work for her. Just then one of the Housekeeping staff was walking by and asked if she could help us with our bags up the stairs. We explained the difficulty and she promptly went to the front desk and got us a room on the main floor. Our room was quite lovely, large and comfortable. The staff throughout the resort were great and seemed genuinely happy to be at work and interacting with the guests. The wedding dinner and dance were held in a building away from all the rooms which was great for the guests who were in their rooms. Security arrived quickly to the lobby of the wedding reception to offer rides to the older people who needed a ride to the building with the rooms.
Dinner at the wedding was great. We had four choices and everyone I spoke with were really happy with the quality of their food. As well, there were an abundance of serving staff. In the morning we had the breakfast buffet which was fresh, well cooked and very tasty.
The only issue I would like to speak of was three of us reserved our rooms through www.hotel.com and for some reason the front desk had our reservation, but did not have anything saying we had already paid. Make sure if you reserve through another source, other than directly through Horseshoe, that you bring your paper work proving you have already paid.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
CamDad, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, June 11, 2012
Thank you so much for providing your feedback!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and that the wedding was such a successful event. I am particularly pleased that you found our staff to be hospitable and enthusiastic in serving you.

We all hope to see you and your husband back again with us very soon for another night or even to enjoy the activities of the Resort for the day.

All the best, Sean
Oakville,Ontario Can
Reviewed June 4, 2012

Where do we begin? Perhaps the lobby of the condo we stayed in would be a good place to start as it was dirty and old and tired. Not a good sign of things to come. Our key in the door to our two bedroom suite was inserted and we were greeted by a horrendous stench of either the residue of an extermination or perhaps a cleaning product? Although what kind of cleaning product leaves a smell so powerful we all developed headaches in a short time. Also, if it was a cleaning product one would think the room would be clean! Pubic hairs in one bathroom, a lump of nose snot on the wall, dirty dishes, old linens with holes in them and not a hair dryer in site. There was of course two towels and two towels only in the bathrooms. Ours were two feet from the toilet so when one flushed the toilet you knew what was spraying invisibly onto your towels unless you closed the seat. This would only be palatable if one used a latex glove. Everything seemed old, tired and dirty. The room is very dated; the cabinetry scratchted, peeling and not very useful. There is lots of storage space but who wanted to unpack with the smell in the room leaching into everything. The breakfast was awful; fruit had gone bad, eggs had congealed into a hard lump and the jams which were served in huge vats were old looking and unappetizing. The rooms are thin and you can hear the neighbours. One cannot imagine why so many of the rooms were taken that weekend. Proms and weddings were happening and we shudder to think of anyone spending a honeymoon night in that awful bed with the awful lines, mattress and the gross duvet cover. What was that fabric? Suede? I dunno but it was not touching our bodies and we wore our sox to bed lest we had to put our bare feet on the stained smelly carpeting. This hotel is done! It needs millions of dollers spent on updating everything and cleaning it from top to bottom. The only good thing is that they let us out of our second night and did not charge us for it. We are forwever grateful for that!

Room Tip: condo is ridiculous. There is no marked entrance and if you use the one which appears to be the only...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank santafefreak
CamDad, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
I do appreciate you sharing this information with us.

I can assure you that I will investigate each one of these concerns fully and ensure we have resolution to them. I must admit that I find some of your descriptions to be more theatrical than I am used to. I am pleased that a member of our team made the decision not to charge you for the second night, but wonder, given your description of your experience, why you would have stayed a second night.

We have and are investing millions in the property to deal with the conditions that have existed and I am disappointed that elements we are in control of such as cleanliness and food quality were not at your expectations. These will be resolved.

Sean

Travelers are raving about these Barrie hotels

Peterborough, Ontario
Reviewed May 28, 2012

We booked two nights in a deluxe suite. What we got when we entered our room was an outdated sub par room. Black marks on walls, furniture with gouges out of it, stained furniture, and cracked tiles. We were on the pump it up package but unfortunately the front staff did not know how to administer the $50.00 gas coupon or meal voucher. The front desk is very nice and accommodated our concerns. We looked at two other rooms and picked the two bedroom condo across from main hotel. 60's here I come! I read other reviews and understand there is reno's under way but stop charging the higher fees for under par rooms. The resort fee on top of the room tax is just a money grab and is also charged on the meals. The crazy horse salon needs major upgrading. The food was typical pub fare but very limited and overpriced. The ribs has a nice flavor but were so chewy I had to stop eating them. The pizza was good and the waitress was very pleasant. I really wanted to like the resort because we love the area but there is just too much wrong. Will go up the road next time and stay there.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank cybersis007
CamDad, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for sharing your comments with us.

As you correctly point out, the property is under-going renovations to change the tired and dated feel of our guest rooms and public spaces. I thank you for the comments on our staff and with their genuine care combined with new products and a long list of great activities, we are working to create a great place to getaway with friends and family.

I will be passing all of your comments to our leadership team. I am pleased you enjoyed the food in Crazy Horse, but disappointed that the ribs missed the mark. They are an item that we get strong positive feedback on and we will address directly.

The resort amenity fee that you refer to is common within the resort industry and with our competitors, and allows Horseshoe to provide services and amenities which are provided at no or minimal charge at use; including free guest room and public area high speed internet access, parking, fitness room, indoor/outdoor swimming pools, fitness classes, cross country & hiking trails, picnic areas and other seasonal attractions like our winter skating rink.

I understand that at this time you feel that you did not get value. If you are back in the area, please do utilize our activities and take a moment to review the renovated rooms. We hope that you will change your mind on where to stay.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I think it was the wedding DJ playing outside our window until 1:00 am that was the start of a bad weekend for my friend and I at this " resort ". Flashback.... when we booked our vacation getaway here we pictured a quiet weekend at a decent hotel in the middle of nature far from the city. What we got the first night was something akin to trying to fall asleep in a crowded bar with a bad wedding crooner. Yes reliving the scenes from the movie Dirty Dancing with " I had the time of my life " and doing the " Macarena " at 12 am wasn't what we had in mind for relaxation especially after a long day of hiking.

Upon complaining to the front desk the manager on duty she told me that they would ask them to turn the music down at 11 but they had the tent until 1 am. This would be like asking someone to slam a revolving door, I said. ( note: I don't think the manager understood the analogy ) There was no offer of giving us another room away from the noise and no apology offered. I was told maybe I could join the wedding party. Not funny.

1 am came and went and the music was finally turned off. However when you have 200 drunk wedding guests the noise doesn't just end. It wasn't until 1:30 am that things began to quieten down.

Things didn't just end there. After another day of hiking and relaxing ( trying ) we got back to our room around 2:30 pm and wanted to have a nap. Funny I thought... is someone hammering upstairs? or next door? Wait for it.... upon calling the front desk I was told that the upstairs of the hotel was under construction and that there would be noise going on all day.
She told me maybe I should go take a hike ( literally ). Really I thought? Again no offer of moving us to another room and no apology. By this time we were ready to pack up and leave but ended just toughing it out and leaving the room for another few hours.

My questions to the resort: What kind of place labelling itself as a " resort " holds weddings in a tent outside 50 meters away 20-30 rooms?

Why would a resort have construction going on, on a long weekend ?

Why is your front desk staff like something out a Steven King novel?

John

Toronto Canada

Room Tip: Do not I repeat do not book a room on the north side of the hotel with any view of the " weddin...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank john_aexander1
Ogden, Utah, United States
Reviewed May 19, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend here and absolutely loved it! We have already started recommending Horseshoe to our friends and family.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
CamDad, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2012
Thank you for posting your review!

We are delighted that you enjoyed your visit with us to the point that you are recommending our experiences to you friends. We hope that you will return with them and guide them around this summer.

Wishing you all the best,

Brampton, Canada
Reviewed May 3, 2012

We went up to Barrie's Hourseshoe Resort for their Tree-Top Trekking activity, got the 20+ group rate. It was a lot of fun and something different to try. Word of advice, if you think you are/will be ready for the 'Black Course' (the hardest of 6 courses) let the guides know this because they will need to observe you before they allow you to try it. Also, they say to make sure you leave an hour to complete the course. Crazy Hourseshoe restaurant had good food and good service. The room we stayed in for one night was clean and comfortable. All in all we had a good weekend.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
CamDad, General Manager at Horseshoe Resort, responded to this review, May 7, 2012
Many thanks for taking time to share your feedback with us and other travelers.

Tree Top Trekking is one of our finest attractions and provides a terrific experience for individuals and groups. Your suggestion is a great one on advising the instructors and there is a course for all abilities and comfort levels.

Thank you for the positive feedback on the rooms and on Crazy Horse - I will be sharing these comments with those teams.

Looking forward to hosting you again,