“Disappointed.” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #9 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Ontario, Canada
“Disappointed.”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

From first impressions I understand how this hotel is rated 2nd for Barrie. To lobby is new, modern and clean which is likely why the room was such as disappointment. My room was dated, dated, dated. It appeared clean but I had to wonder because of all the fruit flies in it. The patio door for my room had a lock that was missing one of the 2 screws to keep the mechanism fixed to the door and I'm sure a good tug would have broken it. Scary for a first floor room. The ceiling in my room had a hole in it. Yup, you read right, a hole. It was about 18" in diameter and the ceiling sagged all around it. I'm pretty sure it was water damage and I'm also pretty sure it had been there a while. The chain for the front door was too short to secure into the lock on the door also - the room was a disaster to say the least. I have stayed at cheap no name motels with nicer rooms. Gag. The bed was comfortable and I appreciated the choice of firm or soft pillows.
The only saving grace of this dive in disguise was the restaurant. The breakfast buffet was excellent and the only reason I gave this place a two stars. My advice...stay elsewhere.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank HeartMexico
DirectorofsalesHW, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn Barrie Hotel & Conference Centre, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Thank you for your review. We were pleased that you liked the lobby which was part of our multi-million renovation. However we were concerned about the feedback regarding the room and looked into this immediately. Actually there was water damage on the ceiling from an air conditioning unit in the room above and these matters are currently being fixed. The patio door and the chain on the door were immediately fixed. We do take pride in maintaining our hotel to high standards and thank you for bringing this to our attention, even though we are dissapointed in the review. Thank you also for your comments about the restaurant. We do hope that you will stay again and give us the chance to offer you the fantastic experience we would like you to have.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

The location and the sevice was EXCELLENT!! The Manager MR. Don Buckle was very helpful along withhis staff CHeryl at the front desk was great I would and WILL go back to this loation as it was very clean!!!

GREAT JOB keep it up and see you soon again!!!!!

Room Tip: The staff at this location was vey helpful!! The Manager Mr.Don Buckle was very helpful along with C...
9 Thank Toronto_CanadaDal
Mississauga, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here 2 times, once in the executive tower and once in regular rooms. I would stay here again but only in the tower. I loved the heated floor in the bathroom. Not the friendliest people at the front desk for either of my visits, but I didn't let that ruin my day!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank LuvsBears
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

We stayed the evening of August 17, 2012 for one night. We had booked a king non-smoking room. I was writing an exam Friday night and all day Saturday and was concerned that the noise from the highway might interfere with my sleep. I emailed them about my concern, and the General Manager quickly emailed me back informing me he had booked us a room on the inner court side, away from the elevator.

We stayed in the executive tower that overlooked the court/pool/garden, and it was very quiet and exactly what we needed! The room was clean, modern and comfortable (and no smell of cigarette smoke anywhere).

We would stay here again.

Room Tip: We were on the top floor of the executive tower, facing the court. This is where I would book again.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
10 Thank tropicgal_11
Barrie, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2012

We were fortunate in booking with the Holiday Inn on Fairview Road, in Barrie for the reception celebration for our daughter's wedding on August 18th, 2012. We found the service was excptional. Shinto Joseph, Food & Beverage Manager was absolutely fabulous with the assistance he provided us with the reception planning, meal selection, and he went out of his way to assist us with the decorating of the hall, setting up tables and assisted in every aspect of the set up. Shinto was on duty the night of our event and checked in several times to see if we needed anything. The wedding reception was a hugh success and I atribute some of that success to the efforts of Shino and his staff at the Holiday Inn, Barrie. I would recommend this location for any event, the service was outstanding!!

7 Thank Bettye K
Thank you for your review we work hard to ensure that your special day goes well and that we can live up to our motto "Magical Memories Start Here". Thank you again.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2012

I found the rooms and the service to be excellent. Tattingers the in hotel restaurant was excellent. Paul the chef was excellent the food was artful and fresh. The presentation was colourful and I would say the food was sculpted.... Not just food on a plate it was placed with care and made to visually be appealing. The taste was excellent we had 5 dinner at our table and every one of them was beautifully presented and amazon gong fresh and tasty. If I lived closer I would go just for the restaurant. The wait staff were very attentive and when asked about recommendations had extensive knowledge about the me u Nd wine a real pleasure to dine.

• Stayed August 2012
10 Thank Drgnflyz7
Thank you, what a lovely review about the restaurant. Paul is new to our kitchen and certainly does take great pride in the presentation of meals. We will pass the feedback on to him. Thank you also for your comments about service, we enjoy hearing that we have succeeded in our mission!
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Booked online 2 doubles non-smoking. My only real complaint was that the hotel puts smoking and non-smoking rooms in the same wing. Pools were great for the kid. Location was perfect for the 400. Room was clean.

Room Tip: Ask to be in a non-smoking wing without any pets
5 Thank M R