“CAN'T GO WRONG EATING HERE”

Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar
Ranked #7 of 522 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Contemporary, Canadian
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: "Fun and relaxed service with a casual flair and exceptional food. Located on Yonge Street, close to the water and downtown core, this upscale restaurant features contemporary cuisine and an extensive wine and cocktail list in a casual but fine dining atmosphere. Barrie's only mixologist, Kevin, can create a drink to please any palate and desire. Beside their beautiful patio, there's an on-site garden where there's a good chance you see the chefs picking fresh veggies and herbs for your meal. Open for lunch Monday to Friday and dinner from Monday to Saturday , they promise to provide a dining experience with such superior quality service and food that you will want to return. Reservations for lunch or dinner are always recommended and appreciated. If you haven't been there at all or even in a while...call and make reservations. You just might find you have a new favourite spot in town."
Reviewed June 30, 2014

i have had lunch or dinner at this restaurant many times since they opened and it has never disappointed.
The food is always presented pleasingly on the plate and is delicious. The soups are a favourite....always very tasty.
The dishes always have interesting ingredients or sauces.
Only once was did I leave a little disappointed and that was because the portion was a bit small but that happened a couple of years ago and it has not been a problem since.
The tables are close together and it does get noisy but that does not bother me as the food is why I go there.
I would not hesitate to recommend this restaurant...especially for a special occasion.

JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Thank you for taking some time to review Urban Dish! We're happy you have always enjoyed yourself. Our soups are a favourite of many of our guests and a personal fave of mine, too…made fresh in house makes a big difference! We're sorry you found it a tad 'noisy' but we sure are glad you overlooked that part. Perhaps it was a night when staff got overzealous with the volume of the music. :)

Thanks again and hope to see you soon!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband booked us a table on the patio for our 10th Anniversary, and our evening was beyond wonderful. The patio is sheltered from the breeze, so we were warm in the sunshine, the service was exceptional, and the food fabulous. I had heard of a bad experience here about 6 years ago, so never gave them a chance, but recently learned the restaurant has changed hands a few times. I cannot stress enough that everyone should give them a try. I'm super picky (read incredibly picky) and Urban dish has become my new favourite place to be!

Wow…thanks for giving us a chance and thank you for a wonderful review! No venue is perfect, (although we sure strive to be!), and I'm glad you gave us a try. Hopefully the guests who told you about their poor experience also gave us another shot. ;)

The new owners are only the second owners and have been running it for nearly two years. Keep your eyes peeled for info about our two year anniversary party in September! We would love to have you back for some samples of food and drink when the time comes. Thanks again!

Reviewed June 14, 2014

We had the whole family here for a birthday celebration last week and it was fabulous as always.

We ordered Stuffed Chicken, Seafood Pasta. Beef Short Ribs and Duck.

Stuffed Chicken - This was not amazing I wouldn't suggest this.

Seafood Pasta - Was Fantastic!!! This is definatly a must try! and we will have again! for sure!

Beef Short Ribs - Now we are Beef Short Rib experts, and these was fantastic! Must try as well.

The Duck - We were hesitant on the description of this dish, "Cinnamon crusted duck" We are not the biggest fans of cinnamon with our food , however it was just a hint. we will for sure order this again.

Overall this was a great night and amazing food! You must check out the patio and the veggie garden! ;)

JenLeGallais, Owner at Urban Dish Grill & Wine Bar, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Happy belated birthday! We're thankful that you chose Urban Dish to celebrate it with! We ARE sorry you didn't thoroughly enjoy the chicken but glad that, overall, you were pleased with everything. The chef is also happy that you chose to go for the duck…it's one of our most popular dishes and not always one people take the chance on. But you're right and saw what everyone else does once they try it…it's delicious. :) Thank you for taking the time to write this review and we hope to see you again soon!

Reviewed June 9, 2014

We were there for my birthday this past week and I have to say this was a better visit then the one I had a few years ago which had left a bad taste in my mouth, thus the hiatus for a few years. However, we decided to give it a 2nd shot. I thoroughly enjoyed the appetizers as well as the entrees. The service was excellent at a casual pace. Ambience was excellent. Food quality top rated, presentation was superb. We did find the waiter less attentive as the night went on, however, he was quite pleasant and did do an excellent job. This isn't your big box restaurant and accordingly prices are higher. I recommend this place for peeps seeking a special dining experience. I'd recommend this place. It is interesting to read other comments regarding the cost of water. I don't recall the waiter mentioning this but I will go look for the receipt. This should be something indicated before hand but I can appreciate the response from the owner in respect to this. Most fine dining restaurants in Europe charge for a bottle of water. Once again, I will endorse this restaurant for those looking for a nice fine dining experience in Barrie. Thanks

Thank you for giving us another chance and we're extremely happy that it sounds like we redeemed ourselves. :) Yes, we do charge for our filtered water and advertised it for a year. When the average guest was fine with it and didn't have a problem with the $1.50 charge, we stopped printing it on our menus. Take a taste test…you'll clearly see that the water IS of a much better quality. Best in Barrie I might say! :) Thank you for endorsing us and the excellent review. We hope to celebrate your next special occasion here with you and yours!

Reviewed April 18, 2014

Decided at the drop of a hat to go there with friends on a Friday night, and phoned ahead to reserve. Not a problem! The menu makes it difficult to choose, but beware, it is a bit pricey. Having said that, the portions sizes are very good and the dishes are cooked to perfection. We were seated along the wall across from the entrance. Not a bad place to be, but it is a bit drafty there...better to have a layer or two ready if you're prone to feeling temperature changes. As the title says, Urban Dish is a treat: the servers are attentive but not intrusive, the food is great, the menu varied and delectable...great anniversary or special occasion idea.

Hi Vince…thanks for taking the time to give us a review. And an excellent one, at that! :) We're pleased that we were able to fit you in and that you had a good time. Thanks again for the great review! Hope to see you again soon.