“nice change from the ordinary”

PIE Wood Fired Pizza Joint
Ranked #17 of 535 Restaurants in Barrie
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed February 20, 2012

food was very good - nice variety of pizza - good price - mixed drinks were small

Reviewed January 16, 2012

Made reservations for my fiancee's birthday on a Saturday night...we had a table of both family and friends.
The atmosphere was terrific...i watched the pizza chef's throw pizza and amuse some children watching. They looked like they were having a great time and putting on a show for them.
The service was terrible though. From the start our waiter really had no interest in our table. He did the bare minimum to offer any kind of service. I waited over 15 minutes once I sat down to have my drink order taken.
There were pitchers of water on the table that were quickly empty...and he didn't offer a refill.
At one point he brought a bottle of tabasco out for someone at the table and it was dirty and crusty...totally disgusting.
The food was really very good. The pizzas looked and tasted incredible with real quality ingredients. The chicken looked great, all the appetizers were amazing too!
...the huge downfall was the crappy service. We were ignored for long periods and then we were made to feel rushed.
My friends and family appreciate great service and show that appreciation...in this case I think the tips left were even far too generous for the service we recieved.
I will give PIE another try, but if I have the same experience regardless of the food I will never go back and I'll be sure to tell everyone I know about how disappointing the experience was.

7  Thank Renee S
Reviewed January 15, 2012

My co-workers and I went for a Christmas party and had the pizza party. Excellent value and selection. There were 18 of us and we had lots of special requests and the servers accomodated all of them. They just need to get wine glasses with stems :)

Reviewed January 8, 2012

PIE has a great selection of pizza and their appetizers and desserts are incredible, which my famly and I loved, but if you're a pepperoni & cheese type, it probably isn't for you.

1  Thank wamaivilo
Reviewed December 6, 2011

I have been here over a dozen times with my partner, pretty much every time we want pizza and a nice social experience. After looking over some of the reviews, I feel the need to clarify that this is *not* pizza hut, or pizza pizza, or any other *typical* fast food pizza place that loads a doughy crust with mounds of cheap, flavourless cheese. Nowhere close. PIE provides regular sized (I suppose *small* in some people's eyes...), thin crust pizzas with quality, flavourful toppings. If you're looking to stuff yourself with grease and carbs, go somewhere else. 'Nuff said.

I really enjoy the atmosphere at PIE -- it's colourful, generally with a lively buzz. It can verge towards noisy when really full, but, so does any restaurant. When we first started going, I noticed that it played alot of nineties alternative rock music, so I kind of figured that it was targeted towards a late twenties, early thirties bunch - but I've seen people of all ages enjoying themselves. The patio is nice addition too - it may not have the greatest scenery, but patios are rather uncommon in Barrie (usually very small with limited seating) - I love coming here in the summer just to enjoy the outdoor seating.

Service varies, depending on who you get. It's always decent, although some characters sparkle a bit more than others, especially when it's not busy.

And the food! Frankly, I adore PIE's pizzas - the crust is (especially whole wheat) is flavourful and the perfect balance of crisp and chewy. It's also light, and never doughy, so the sauce and toppings really stand out. I generally have either the Veggie pie or the Beauty pie, and I've found both to have a lovely balance of flavours. The cheese seems to pull everything together - it adds a hint of flavour and texture, but never overpowers the pie.

As a side note, the deep fried dough balls are possibly my favourite (not so healthy) appetizer ever. They are just little balls of pizza dough, deep-fried and served with a garlic aoili, but man can they hit the spot when you're famished.

I guess I just love going to PIE - I can enjoy pizza that doesn't make me feel weighed down and overstuffed - a pizza that is overall quite healthy compared to the foods that many other restaurants offer. For me, this place defines pizza, and everything else is just a sad imitation.

1  Thank Jessica M