“Great food, mediocre service, good value” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Japanese, Sushi, Asian
Good for: Families with children
Neighborhood: City Center
Barrie, ONT
“Great food, mediocre service, good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2014

The food is all good. I'm not a huge sushi fan, I can handle it in moderate doses, but this place ranks as an exception. It's always prepared to perfection and apart from the tempura, which I can't stand, everything else I've eaten there has been quite good.

The service, honestly, is mediocre. Their delivery is lousy and attention to the tables is just poor. The food is brought out very randomly, typically all at once just filling the table. You have to flag someone down to get your drinks refilled or re-order.

Value is there. All you can eat of very good quality sushi is a very fair deal. It's worth going. If you don't like sushi you can choose items from their grill which are good as well. Don't worry about portion size, it's a non-issue. You can eat as much as you want and keep ordering until you've had enough.

Definitely check it out.

Visited May 2014

Orillia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Dirty!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2014 via mobile

Any restaurant that serves raw fish loses my business when they keep the seating area as filthy as this place does...I don't want to imagine what the kitchen looks like!

Visited February 2014
Toronto, Canada
“SUSHI SURPRISE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

There’s no dinner restaurant in our hotel in the depths of winter, so the four of us need to refuel with some top notch protein. Expectations aren’t high for a Japanese restaurant offering an all you can eat buffet for $20 with not very good reviews online. But a local has recommended it and off we go. What a very pleasant surprise. We’re shown to a nice window booth, where we can watch the snow beating down, given a large sheet to order from and menus to check the pictures and contents. The hot sake comes quickly and the friendly server takes our sheet away. Within minutes the food starts arriving. Not in any particular order, but who cares. After a long day we’re starving and for a moment I’m afraid we’ve ordered too much. We have bowls of miso and platters of assorted sushi, sashimi, tempura and teriyaki. More hot sake. We finish everything down to the last bite. For some reason I feel like a banana for dessert. The kitchen produces one, nicely sliced, with a little decoration on a plate. A last touch I much appreciate.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank gentlemansportion
Barrie, Canada
“Great value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2013

This all-you-can-eat restaurant is always filled with young people, who obviously recognize a bargain when they see one. Come with an appetite and Akira won't disappoint you.

Visited April 2013
Fredericton, Canada
“Great Maki and Great Service”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

Went here for supper on a Saturday with family.
The maki was the best I've had at an all-you-can-eat restaurant.
Our waitress Linda was awsome. She was at our table frequently to refill drinks and to take additional orders.
What I disliked about the restaurant was the sushi. Although the quality of the fish was very good, the fish to rice ratio was way off. There was double the amount of rice needed for such a thin piece of fish. Since sushi is my favourite thing at these types of restaurants and not maki, I will not be returning, but to anyone who enjoys maki, I highly reccomend going.

I did not see the purple haired water during my visit, but Linda is great. If you're worried about service, request to be seated in Linda's section.

• Visited June 2013