“Worst Hotel EVER! Almost ruined my wedding!”

Monte Carlo Inn Barrie Suites
Ranked #6 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
toronto
“Worst Hotel EVER! Almost ruined my wedding!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2009

I do not recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking to book a large group reservation.

We recently used the Monte Carlo Inn - Barrie Suites as the accomodations for our wedding guests.

We had about 30 rooms booked in their hotel for our wedding guests; ten for Friday & Saturday, and twenty for Saturday only. We basically had told everybody to book that hotel because it seemed really nice. BIG MISTAKE. On the Friday, the day before the wedding, I got a phone call from the Monte Carlo telling me that ten of my guest rooms had not checked in Thursday and they were going to be charged for missing their check in. Obviously the ten rooms were not supposed to check in until Friday since the wedding wasn't until SATURDAY! In the Monte Carlo's computers they had messed up the dates and they had all of our guests checking out on Saturday...the day of the wedding! So I had to rush over there and speak to the manager. After waiting in the lobby for a looooooong time, the manager, (Prit,) came out and had the audicity to tell me that maybe all of my wedding guests called in and booked the wrong dates. I told him that I had email proof that they all booked the right dates because on Wednesday the hotel had emailed me a list of rooms that had been reserved. The manager actually said that he wanted to see that email. So of course, I produced it immediately.

At that point, he just said, okay, go through the list and tell him who was staying for one night (Sat only) or two nights (Fri and Sat). We tried to do that, but it was almost impossible, especially since we had to do a million other things during that time! It's the day before my wedding!!!!! When I started to hyperventilate, the manager told me that "he'll take care of it" but that he doesn't have all of the rooms available anymore, and that some people who booked suites will not be getting them, and some people will not be getting the rooms that they booked ie King beds, or non-smoking etc. We decided that we cannot accept that we don't care what he has to do, but he has to fix this problem. He told us not to worry and that he will fix it.

We left them with our 30 welcome baskets for our guests and went to our wedding rehearsal.

Later that night, we found out that the welcome baskets had been given out to guests of another wedding! And those guests nearly missed their wedding because our welcome baskets had our timetables printed in them! So, not all of our guests got a basket and who knows how many of the other wedding got ours.

Next, I found out that one person from our wedding party, Mitch, who had booked a suite was not given his suite, but he told me not to worry about it. I was fuming, and I asked the man at the front desk why the manager had lied to me earlier, and the man at the front desk (Andrew) said quote "I don't know. I don't care. I only work here and I'm glad that I won't be here tomorrow." I told him that tomorrow is my wedding day and I will not be spending it talking to the manager again! So no suite for Mitch.

So my wedding day comes and we asked the front desk to give the booteneer and coursage to my future mother-in-law and future father-in-law when they checked in. Of course they screwed that up and did not do that. Who knows what happened to the flowers??!!

Throughout the course of the day, the manager decides that he is going to put Mitch in the suite that he was supposed to be in, however, Mitch is unavailable because he is at our wedding! So, the manager decides to get three of his staff to physically move Mitch's clothes and personal belongings to his new suite WITHOUT HIS KNOWLEDGE OR PERMISSION.

Fast forward to 3:00 am and Mitch is arriving back to the hotel after the wedding and tries to enter his room, only he can't. So he goes to front desk for assistance, who finally figure out that his room has been switched. He finds out the new room number and goes there only to find that half of his stuff is missing. He goes back to the front desk to tell them and they gave him the same response that I got the night before, basically, too bad, they don't care, and he'll have to speak to the manager tomorrow. Ugh! They would not let him enter his original room because there were new people in there!

So, basically the manager Prit was not there the next day, but he did eventually call Mitch and tell him that "sorry they lost his stuff". There's nothing they can do except comp his room for Saturday night. Um, excuse me?! Mitch is missing about $300 worth of brand new clothes and about $200 worth of gift certificates. He brought nice stuff with him because there were wedding events that he was attending!!

At this point, I plan to go right to the Monte Carlo head office and tell them what happened. Needless to say, Mitch's stuff is gone, and he'll never get that back. I am so unhappy with the way we were treated and I wish that we had not picked that hotel to have our guests stay. There are so many other better hotels around and I just hope that no one else has to go through what we did. It almost ruined my wedding!

If you are considering having your friends or family stay there, I would definitely reconsider. Stay away from this hotel with the thieving staff!

• Stayed July 2009
12 Thank vlukewi

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2009

Hotel was bright, clean and very modern. The rooms had all the toys you could need and was very comfortable. The restaurant is a bit pricey but was very good with great service.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family