“Sleepless Night”
1 of 5 bubbles Review of Barr's Motel

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Barrie
Barr's Motel
Ranked #18 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
North Bay, Canada
“Sleepless Night”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a place to catch some sleep late one night while driving from Toronto back home. We came across Barr's Motel shortly after turning off the 400. It wasn't the greatest looking place from the outside, but the price was right ($63 tax included). I should have started to worry when I noticed a sign attached to the front desk that stated several different times (in bold capitalized letters) that there were absolutely no refunds once you give them your credit card - no matter what. But it was past midnight and we were both exhausted, so we took our chances. Bad idea. My husband and I found our room (which was an adventure since the majority of the room numbers had fallen off the doors), and were greeted by a tiny, dirty room, with several resident spiders. The floor was disgusting, there were stains on the walls, cobwebs in the closet, and the bathroom was filthy. The shower (if you can call it that) was literally a little hole-in-the wall located behind the bathroom door (we didn't even notice it until one of us went to the bathroom and closed the door), and was so dirty that we both opted to drive home the next day un-showered, rather than step foot in it. We both slept fully clothed on top of the sheets, and had an extremely restless night due to the taxis coming in and out at all hours of the night, and the noises coming from the other rooms through the paper thin walls - we could not only hear people in the room adjacent to us, but those who were staying in rooms 2 or 3 over. The fact that the door lock was very flimsy too, and pretty much useless, didn't help us feel at ease either. We finally decided there was no point in pretending to sleep any longer, and got up shortly after the sun did. As we were getting in our car, a woman (whose attire left little to the imagination) came out of a room a few doors down and asked if she could catch a ride across town. That was the last nail in the coffin of the Barr's Motel. We will never stay there again, and recommended you do the same. There's a Comfort Inn just down the street. Pay the extra $ and stay there.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank Melinda D

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Cranbrook, British Columbia, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2010

The rooms are quite small.The locks on the doors are the old fashion Yale locks, very loose and poor security. The room door had marks up and down the edge, where someone had broken in to the room at some point or points. Scary. The beds were clean and the manager was a very nice women, who tried her best to make our stay more comfortable.There are no non-smoking rooms, but the manager provided us with a Rain Wave, which helped clear the room from the smell of smoke.There were people sitting around, and smoking just outside of our door. The ABSOLUTE WORST experience we had in this motel, was finding blood all over the side of the telephone and receiver.A lot of blood! There was also blood splatter on the bathroom wall, behind the door. When my husband ran to the wash-room to grab the toilet paper roll, it had blood all over the toilet paper and the roll too! It was at that time, we were informed that they were having problems with crack heads sneaking around and breaking into rooms. ie.the room we were in! We cleaned up all the blood with soap and water and then I went to WalMart to purchase disinfectant spray.I sprayed every surface in the room, bathroom and the beds. We nearly choked to death with the combination of the disinfectant spray and the cigarette smoke from motel guests who were smoking while standing in the doorways of their rooms. Very unsavoury clientèle and so we slept with a chair wedged under the door knob! We were also worried about our vehicle, which was parked a little too far away from our room to keep an eye on!!!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
9 Thank Alexisdiane

Travelers are raving about these Barrie hotels

penetang
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2010

I was looking for a place to rest my head after a long day, on the road.

I got of the 400 highway, on to Essa road, and came across Barr’s Motel.

I must admit this place has lights on trees, rooftops and in flowerbeds. That is what caught my attention.

The receptionist was very informative about the rates, and kindly showed me single and double rooms. “ I was surprise to see the rooms clean, homey, and spacious, specially at a low rate.”

For amenities, I was glad that it had a bathtub, shower, cable T.V, phone, microwave, fridge, and wireless Internet.

What I like the best is wake up call, great baked goods, and a good night rest.

The least I had to leave.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
2 Thank joneyjoney
sudbury on
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2010

I have stay there 1 night this place as to be the durdyes motel i have ever seen I have made a official complain to the health departement and the city of barrie plsssssssss do not rent any room in this motel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with friends