“Good breakfast, clean rooms, okay service” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Barrie

Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Barrie
Ranked #1 of 19 Hotels in Barrie
Central Ontario
“Good breakfast, clean rooms, okay service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Stayed for a night on top floor - bathroom fan allowed very loud roof noises coming into the room but to their credit, they provided a discount on the room. Very plain pool and whirlpool but nicely kept, could use some sitting areas for parents to keep an eye on kids...just too small of a deck area but they can't fix that now. Free breakfast is fantastic...hot and cold options including eggs, hasbrowns, waffles, lots of cereals, fruit, muffins...etc.

Dealings with front desk staff was a little less than satisfactory but followed up later with management who made things right. Lots of free parking, beautiful woods out back. Would recommend although if you are just staying for a night, there are less expensive options nearby.

Room Tip: Avoid top floor...ceiling fans in bathroom allow in noise from roof equipment.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BarrieManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Barrie, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your stay with us. We always appreciate hearing from our guests.

I understand that the roof fans caused some issues with noise and I apologize that it disrupted your comfort. Our maintenance team works hard to keep them in efficient quiet working order and regret this was not your experience. We will share your comments with our crew and ensure they are looked at.

I am glad to hear you had time to enjoy the facilities; breakfast and the pool. We do get many great compliments about the amount of offerings available for breakfast.

When enjoying the view of the forest, look closely, wild turkeys and even deer are often seen along the fence line and the field beside us!

Thank you again for choosing us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Barrie.
Tracy

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We were very impressed with the spacious rooms, cleanliness, and overall amenities. We were very disappointed with the lack of friendliness. Was lacking in service compared to other Hilton's we have stayed at. However, we would still return since the hotel itself was so nice.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for choosing our Hampton, and for taking the time to write a review.

We appreciate your comments and are happy to hear you enjoyed the spacious room. Our staff work hard to ensure every guest enters a nice clean room, as well as all the hotel facilities. They do take a lot of pride in their work.

I am sorry to hear you found the front line staff to be less friendly. That is not a comment we hear often. We will certainly look into that situation.

Thank you again for staying with us. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Barrie.

Tracy
London, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

The room was very clean. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful. There is lots of space in the room and a very adequate desk and wireless access worked well. The heating was working well without much noise. The price is quite reasonable. The check in and out were efficient. The breakfast was good.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
BarrieManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Barrie, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We appreciate all feedback from our guests!

I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. Our cleaning staff do a wonderful job and take pride in their results. I will share your comments with them.

Thank you again for choosing us and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Barrie.
Caledonia, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

To some, having "high speed internet" is important when booking a hotel while on a business trip.

After spending a very frustrating night trying to maintain a remote desktop connection into my PC back at work I simply gave up. Speedtest reported a speed of 110kbps (kilobits, not bytes) thats 13.75KB /sec. It's no wonder I couldn't get any work done. I called their "tech support" and they assured me that it was "high speed" and then tried to convince me that you need "quite the connection for remote desktop". I had it set to the lowest bandwidth settings (DIAL UP) and it was still useless.

This was over an in-room hard wired connection. No VPN or anything fancy and my laptop worked fine at the conference center and RDP was flaswless even at high color settings so I know it wasn't an issue on my end. Claiming these rooms offer "high speed internet" just because it comes over an ethernet cable instead of the phone line is simply misleading.

I've stayed at other hotels that have reasonable, USEABLE, high speed. I'm not asking for much, just something that I can use for more than a telnet session.

Other than this, the hotel is fine. Clean, comfortable, friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
BarrieManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Barrie, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Thank you for your comments, and taking the time to post a review.

I understand how frustrating it can be when you have work that needs done and the connection isn't working up to speed. Time is valuable, and I am sorry to hear that we weren't able to meet your needs during the visit.

We are working with both Hilton IT and our service provider to ensure all systems are running as they should be.

I am pleased to here the rest of the hotel met your needs. Thank you for choosing us, and we do hope to see you on your next trip to Barrie.
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2012

We booked our trip online, and of course we have a small dog, we realized we hadn't booked a kennel yet for our dog and asked if the hotel was pet friendly. The person we spoke with on the phone assured us it was a pet-friendly hotel as long as our dog was under 65 lbs which he is. We then got to Barrie and were greeted with a smile by the tall blonde lady at the counter. When she saw my father and our dog she first asked if they needed a "person with disabilities" room because of the dog, which my parents of course said no and clarified that he was just their regular pet, and that they'd just like their regular room. The lady then apologized, gave us an upgrade which was lovely of her (especially on thanksgiving weekend), and proceeded to let us go through WITH OUR DOG. The day after my parents checked in, my parents received a phone call asking if they had a dog in the room (keep in mind our dog rarely barks), my parents of course said yes and that they were so delighted that the hotel was pet friendly. The hotel 'manager' (Oct 8th/ 2012) said that they weren't pet friendly and started to accuse my parents of bringing the dog in ON PURPOSE. My parents (being older) said that no that certainly wasn't the intention and that the taller blonde lady that checked them in saw them and that they didn't mean to cause any trouble. Not only did she say okay we'll just make sure there are no damages to the hotel room in the morning when you're on your way out, which my parents said yes that's perfectly fine, but then she called them up AGAIN, during our family visit and said that the taller blonde woman was denying the fact she let my parents in with the dog! So my parents of course said well you can check your cameras, and we did CONFIRM with her as well that we had one with us. So not only did the company not UPHOLD their 'customer is always right' or even the fact that THEIR staff wasn't made aware of this sooner is absolutely embarrassing on their behalf. I pity you Hampton Inn. I'd also love to thank your staff personally for RUINING our family thanksgiving and kicking my parents out of your hotel over this stupid matter when there were not even 3 cars parked in your parking lot as well as when it was 6:30pm and my parents were leaving early tomorrow morning anyway. You are PATHETIC. Oh and if any of the employers out there or even Hampton Inn owner would like to know: the managers name was Bonnie and unfortunately we can't remember the Blonde woman's name either but she was working oct 7th/ 2012 evening. WE WILL NEVER BE BACK AND NEITHER WILL OUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, COLLEAGUES, OR EVEN CO-WORKERS. Most stressful hotel we've ever stayed in. Lets hope this isn't our last thanksgiving we have together.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank KTP6
BarrieManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Barrie, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for posting your review.
It is unfortunate that your experience was less than satisfactory.
We are well known for our great staff and try hard to make every guest feel welcome and comfortable while travelling away from home. It is unfortunate that your stay did not meet this expectation.

We do welcome service animals in our property, which is why a guest would be asked if the animal was a service animal if it was noticed upon check in, but we are not pet friendly otherwise. Because this is advertised to all our guests and potential guests, it is a rule that the staff stick to. Pet allergies have become quite common and we want to ensure that all guests receive a pleasant stay.

We take all comments, both positive and negative, very seriously and we definately wanted to look further into the experience you wrote about. I was pleased to see on the camera system that the animal did not pass through the front desk or the front desk agent, but rather the back door.

We understand that many families do travel with their pets, and are considered to be a member of their family. The front desk agents have a couple names and numbers for some great kennels near the hotel that are able to safely and comfortably care for your pet.

Thank you.
Manchester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed one night this September on route between Ottawa and Haliburton. Had stayed in one Hampton Inn before in Kamloops so had an idea what to expect and we were not disappointed. Hotel experience was very positive from check in through to departure. Good sized free car parking. Room was spacious, clean and twin queen beds very comfortable. Good bathroom and good fast free wi fi. Lacked a room safe. Good location easy to find although had to use car to go to main shopping and eating area of town, having said that not far and lots of free parking.
Probably the best complimentary breakfast ever at a hotel. Western omletes with seasoned home-fries, waffles, toast, fruit, cereals, juice and coffee 24/7 by reception. Even had breakfast goody bags to take with you.
For good value we wouldn't look any further in north America , wish they were located around Europe and the UK.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
BarrieManager, General Manager at Hampton Inn & Suites by Hilton Barrie, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for your review and kind comments. We love hearing from our guests! It is great to hear that you are using Hampton by Hilton across Canada. We are always expanding into new areas, so the UK and Europe may one day happen!
We look forward to seeing you on your next visit to Barrie.
Woodstock, Ontario
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

We stayed during the weekend of the "Tough Mudder" event and booked 2 rooms. When we arrived we were told we were selected for an upgrade, very nice. We were upgraded to the junior King suite, very nice room and spacious, had a separate vanity and sink area, from the rest of the bathroom, a large counter area with fridge, microwave, and coffee maker. The bed was so comfortable, I had a great nights sleep. While checking in we asked about italian restaurants and were handed a photocopied list of local pasta places, very helpful. Since so many quest were there for the tough mudder and pasta was the main meal of choice for the big event the next day I thought this show excellent customer service. My daughter and friends, used the pool and hot tub and loved it. This was the best complimentary breakfast I have seen. There was something for everyone from a hot meal to cold cereal. Will definitely stay @ Hampton Inn's again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments.

We remember that event. In fact, some of our staff are talking about participating next year!

Happy that you were able to enjoy the facilities and the breakfast while you were here.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Barrie.