“Beamers falls”
Review of The Bruce Trail

The Bruce Trail
Ranked #853 of 4,173 things to do in Ontario
More attraction details
Owner description: This scenic hiking trail follows along Ontario's Niagara Escarpment overlooking Georgian Bay.
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Very muddy, wear your rain boots or water proof hikers If you do the trail this time of year.
Also bring an extra pair of boots or shoes with some plastic bags for the muddy boots and cloths. Very slippery too. Lots of people slipped and fell and got quiet muddy. Some screening on these paths would be helpful because they are well travelled in this region. There was hundreds of people on the trail on family day, maybe even more.

Reviewed October 14, 2011

We often travel the world in search of picturesque waterfalls, beautiful forests and magnificent views. Well, we have all this right in our backyard in Ontario. From Niagara Falls to Tobermory, experience wonder, peace and nature at its best by hiking the Bruce trail. Purchasing the Bruce Trail Reference Guide is a must and will help the association in terms of revenues. Bring your camera, a water bottle and good shoes. It is a fabulous way to share time among loved ones and to rekindle friendships. A walk in the woods is often all it takes to reconnect with nature and with oneself.
Beware however - once you start, you might get addicted to both short hikes and longer hikes. Or short and long trail runs.
Best spots? Around the Dundas Valley and going by Websters' Falls and Tews' Falls. The Collingwood area is pretty cool too, with ice caves still steaming at the end of June.

1  Thank Helene C
Reviewed August 29, 2011

A Solid Hike

I decided I wanted to hike the Bruce Trail from Queenston Heights (the start of the trail) to the Pen Centre in St. Catharines. I convince my fiancée and friend to come with me.

Previously I had hiked between the Pen Centre and DeCew Fall (multiple, shorter hikes) while attending Brock University a number of years before. I was used to a trail that was fairly flat with elevation changes that were more gradual in nature and fairly easily identifying where the trail went. This was not always the case as I soon discovered.

First some tips:
- Buy or borrow the official Bruce Trail guidebook as this will provide maps for each section of the trail. Make a photocopy of the maps for each member of the hiking group.
- Go to brucetrail.org to verify that none of the trail sections have been re-routed.
- Bring plenty of water and snacks. Don’t expect to find a place to refill your water along the way.
- Wear comfortable shoes.
- Bring hiking poles if you have them, especially if you go on a longer hike.

We started at Queenston Heights, the site of the General Brock Monument and a nice park with impressive views looking out of the escarpment, we hiked along a wide path through forest. After a few km, the path was much narrower and there were some elevation changes. There was actually a switch-back at around 4km. At the 7km point, Dorchester Road, we lost the trail. I realized I should have went on the website beforehand to see if there were any detours, but I hadn’t, and the signs were rather poor. We ended up getting on a trail that joined with the old Bruce Trail, which had the white trail blazes blacked out. We followed the blacked out trail blazes until we started seeing white one again.

Just after 11km the trail goes along Warner Road. We decided to shave off 3km and take the road to Taylor Road and get back on the trail there. We continued on the trail, sometimes having to briefly stop to figure out where to go, but managed to stay on it the rest of the way to Glendale Ave, in St. Catharines, and where our finish was.

Total distance: 21.5km
Total time: 5 hours, 20 minutes

We saw a lot of interesting things along the way, including walking along the edge of a vineyard, seeing the remains of a couple previous Welland Canals, and walking over the current Welland Canal.

I do recommend going for a hike along the Bruce, however I wish the markings could have been more prominent and less puzzling at some points. Also, some sections of the trail are a lot more family friendly than others.

3  Thank SunLover82
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We were walking along this trail, passing beautiful scenery and other cool stuff. My favorite part was when we went underground through the caves in the Niagara Escarpment. One of my favorite trails in Ontario.

2  Thank AMoodieSwede
Reviewed October 17, 2009

The Bruce Trail runs the length of the Niagara Escarpment (one of the UNESCO Biosphere Reserves in Canada, and home to Niagara Falls) in southern Ontario, Canada. With over 800 kms of trails it can take a lifetime to cover it all, but there are many excellent spots for a day hike. In southern Ontario the trail runs through neighbourhoods and farms, with many waterfalls over the escarpment edge. This section is often easily accessible by car. As it works its way north away from Hamilton and Toronto towards Georgian Bay it becomes more rugged and remote, ending in the north at Tobermory.

If you're looking for a day trip from Toronto with the kids, or a seriously challenging hike, you'll find it on the Bruce Trail.