“Amazing!!”
Review of Calypso Water Park

Calypso Water Park
Ranked #256 of 4,421 things to do in Ontario
More attraction details
Owner description: About 22 miles / 35 km east of Ottawa Ontario.
Reviewed July 19, 2013

We bough season passes. we love this park. kids love it and have a blast everytime we go. They will always be people complaining about anything in live and if you seat and wait for people reviews you wont go far in life. You guys did an amazing job with thr Kongo. As for the lifeguards I dont see why people are saying that their not doing a good job. when they are. as a parent you also have to watch your kids... That is not only there job. as for the parking why complain even when you go to La Ronde and is expensive too. you got to pay parking and more than $8 so i dont think its expensive. the restaurents are pricy but you could bring your foods with no problem. I think that the beaver tail should be bigger and ticker!! the girls at the ice cream shop are doing a great job at the end of the day pretty fast!! You got to experience it your self and stop reading this bad rewiews with people that are never happy.

1  Thank Monica155033
CalypsoPark, Public Relations Manager at Calypso Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment following your visit at the park.

We will tranfer it to our restaurant manager.

For your infomation, since we now have optical fiber on-site the parking fee can be payed, as of today, with debit, Visa and MasterCard making it easier and quicker for everyone.

We hope to see you and your family again.

All reviews
in 10 reviews
"whole family"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed July 19, 2013

We read the reviews and debated going to this park or the other older water park in the area. The reviews had us thinking the older one for price and lines may be a better choice, but we went with this park based on others in the area recommendations. It may have been a fluke, but the lines were great (a hot Summer Friday which we thought would be packed), the day was hot and humid, but made great by the water and rides.

Signage was a bit lacking as we ended up on other rides than expected. The staff overall was friendly and helpful and willing to assist in finding additional riders when needed. All smiled and seemed to be enjoying themselves. If you have the money to spend, it was a great day to pass a very hot day.

One major recommendation would be to bring and wear flop-flops or other water shoes as the concrete was hot and rough and we all had burnt feet.

1  Thank quellaman

Hello,

Thank you for your review on Calypso.

We will transfer it to the managers on-site. For your information a map of the attractions is available on our wesite. We also have 3 huge maps on-site (one near boomerango, one next to Ulysses bar and grill and one at the entrance next to the boutique). We are also currently working on adding new signage for our new attraction and restaurants.

We hope to see you again this summer

Reviewed July 19, 2013

Let me preface this by saying as a general rule I am not a fan of waterparks. Our has been to many waterparks (Wonderland, Paramount's King's Dominion, Mont Cascades, DisneyWorld's Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach), and as Mom, rather than do the rides I keep an eye on everybody's stuff.
This is the FIRST time that I thoroughly enjoyed myself, of course my ''kids'' are all adults now, so I can actually relax.
I never encountered any negatives I had experienced at the other parks.
First of all, to speed things up, we purchased the tickets online minutes before leaving the house, very easy process($235 for a family of 6 adults), a reasonable price, and as they say: You get what you pay for!
Hopped on the highway from the south end of Ottawa, and 30 minutes later we pulled into the park. Yes, we paid for parking, but this was done at all the other big parks(PKD, Wonderland, Disney), so we brought some cash along for the day's misc. expenses. Got to the gate at 10:30, no line up, paid for the use of a locker(reimbursed $5 at the end of the day when key is returned)
Stowed the keys and wallets in the locker, and lugged the cooler with our lunches and snacks to the picnic area right behind the lockers. Plenty of tables all over the park, nice shady trees or umbrellas.
One of the main negatives of some of the other parks is upon entry they practically subject you to a cavity search to make sure you don't try and sneak in a sandwich!
So bringing your own food is a great time saver(no waiting in line) and a true cost saver.
The food concession stands are all over the park, they offer the usual theme park fare as well as salads, paninis and subways. And I thought most were reasonably priced for a theme park. At the end of the day we bought 2 sml cones, 2 lg cones and a sunday for just a little over $18!
The park is very clean, staff is seen everywhere cleaning anything dropped on the ground. Another negative from other parks were seagulls, not a one here!
Off to the rides we went. As I said previously, I don't enjoy water parks or theme parks because of the rides. I am terrified of rollercoasters! I was dragged onto the first ride Canyon Rafting, and I'll be honest, I had a blast! It was thrilling without inducing heart failure. Safety was never an issue for us, on any of the rides. We proceeded to the Boomerango, not a fan because the drop at the end was too much like a rollercoaster to me. But the next rides, Steamer was fun, then onto Kongo Expedition. Hilarious! So well done! Disney could learn a thing or two from this ride. We spent the next 3 hours having a riot on all kinds of rides.
We had so much fun on the Jungle Challenge course, but my arms were screaming after 4 go-arounds.
Our favorite rides were Canyon Rafting, Kongo and Fast Track.
As I said previously, I have been to other parks, and what I noticed is the water here is crystal clear, especially in the wave pool, and ODOURLESS! No harsh chemical smell, no stinky stagnant water smell(hello Wonderland and Blizzard Beach) and the water is heated! Awesome!
What was super convenient were the racks with cubby holes at the ride entrances to leave your sunglasses and footwear. Wear sandals or flipflops because the walkways are scorching hot by midday.
Although there were many people on a beautiful scorching hot Thursday, the park was no way full. Which meant, of course, very short lines. If you go on a day where there are considerable lineups, count yourself lucky, because you have time to slowly and gradually climb those massive stairs to dizzying heights. If, perchance, there are no lineups, you won't need to go to the gym the next day, you just did the ultimate stairmaster, over and over again.

We had a great day, and are sure to return again this summer.

7  Thank bernba8901

Hello,

Just a quick note to tell you how much we appreciate your comment. These comments are really important to us and our staff. We will transfer your review to our mangers on-site.

We hope to see you and your family again this summer.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

You have to $8 cash to park then you pay for the admittance ......the parking lot is not yet paved just loose gravel. It's not a big issue since the waterpark itself is mostly all constructed by now. People say maybe they shouldn't charge for the parking because other places don't . They have really good rides and its well worth it. There are lots of picnic tables to keep your towels and coolers at. The tables have umbrellas and there are shade trees but bring your own sunscreen . People who wear glasses should use water resistant tape you can by at a pharmacy to tie their glasses on or buy something ready made because there is a lot of water splashing around not just in the wave pool. Things I should mention I liked about was that the water is treated by salt not that yucky chlorine like a municipal city pool would be . There's rides for kids,young adults and people who just want to take it easy too. There are critics of this park but I liked it.

2  Thank Tony T

Hi,

Thank you for writing a review on Calypso.

For your information since we now have optical fiber on-site parking can be payed, as of today, with debit, Visa and MasterCard. Quick and easy for everyone!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 17, 2013

As someone planning to attend this park with my three children I am very hesitant after reading all the responses that Calypso has made to other reviews. In each of these comments Calypso has done nothing to appease the complaints. They have only made it sound like the complaints were incorrect - nothing about how the "customer is always right". The comments that bother me the most were those about the lifeguarding. In at least three comments it was made clear that the lifeguards were not doing their job well. Calypso's comments merely stated that the lifeguards are trained - that is great, but it doesn't mean that they are working according to that training. As for the parking - the majority of the issue was that it was cash only - not the cost & Calypso's responses were to reiterate how much money has been spent upgrading the park. These comments illustrate to me that Calypso does not care about its customers. They inadequately respond and do not respond in a manner that shows that the understood the comment they read. I will continue to read reviews before making a final travel decision.

6  Thank grenouillekatie
CalypsoPark, Public Relations Manager at Calypso Water Park, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time for providing a comment.

We want to reassure you that Calypso’s number one priority is to ensure that all our visitors have a wonderful time in a safe and entertaining environment.

Calypso takes every customer comment and complaint very seriously and we have processes in place to make sure that every issue brought to our attention is addressed. For example, if there are comments or concerns about lifeguards, we make sure the managers in charge of the lifeguard staff follow up to correct any issue that may arise. Also, we revise our policies based on the experiences and input from visitors. We want every visitor to feel safe while they are having fun.

With respect to the parking, we have a ‘cash only’ system in place because this is the fastest way to keep cars moving into the parking lot from the entrance. We want our visitors to enjoy the Calypso experience and spend as little time as possible waiting in line to park. As a result of comments received, we will post a note on our website to let visitors know that we have a cash only policy for our parking lot. This will help visitors as they are preparing to visit.

We hope this addresses your concerns. Calypso would be pleased to welcome you and your family this summer!

Thanks again for your comments.