“Unforgettable Arctic Experience”
Review of Arctic Watch Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nunavut
Arctic Watch Lodge
Reviewed December 15, 2012

Five months after my return from Arctic Watch I'm still enthralled.

As a world travelling Canadian I've always felt that I was missing a proper arctic experience. I was hesitant about doing the Arctic by cruise ship - not sufficiently hands-on; or arranging a big hiking experience - too rough at this stage in my life. Arctic Watch was the perfect substitute - while you have all the comforts necessary there is no doubt that you're fully immersed in this unique. environment.

The Weber family and staff are extraordinary hosts only too thrilled to share their deep love of the arctic with guests. They go out of their way to make everyone feel at home and try to cater to individual desires (as much as possible). The excursions (hikes, kayaking, rafting, ATVing etc.) are varied and thrilling. The opportunities to interact with the environment, in a sensitive manner are first rate. The guides are very knowledgable and appropriately careful about guests safety and the wildlife. Our experience tracking herds of muskox with Tessum was exceptional - but as soon as it was clear that the muskox thought we were close enough Tessum led us away.

The opportunity to see, from very close, hundreds of belugas was certainly one of the highlights of my week at Arctic Watch. Watching them enjoy the fresh water and scrape along the beach was unique but even more so was to hear their singing - pure magic in the arctic.

The biggest surprise was the food - I can't recall ever having eaten such consistently excellent food for a period of a week. The kitchen staff go out of their way to provide imaginative fresh wholesome gourmet fare throughout your stay.

Is Arctic Watch expensive? Absolutely. Does it provide value for money? Without a doubt.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank Osprey412
Richard W, Owner at Arctic Watch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2012

Thank you for the glowing review!

Reviewed November 28, 2012

Yes, it’s the Arctic and it can be cold. But where else in the high Arctic can you be on the land all day and enjoy such great hospitality, amazing food and comfortable accommodation (including a warm, inviting “great room”, a toilet in your cabin and hot showers)? No backpack, no tent and no camp stove required!

Richard Weber, Josee Auclair and their team go out of their way to share their vast knowledge, experience and love of the north with you. And to make you feel at home. You are outside all day (if you choose), walking on the tundra (the best hiking terrain) visiting different places, watching wildlife and always learning.

It is a magical place, challenging and relaxing at the same time. Go with an open mind and your sense of adventure. And if you can manage two weeks - do it. I would have happily repeated week one activities, but they went out of their way to give us something new every day. Two weeks was hardly long enough.

Even before I left Arctic Watch, I was thinking about a return trip!

4  Thank LizR02
Richard W, Owner at Arctic Watch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review. We are passionate about the arctic and we work hard to share that passion with our guests!

Reviewed November 27, 2012

I thought two weeks at Arctic Watch might be too long. I was wrong. While the focus was the belugas, the Weber family kept us busy with amazing day excursions exploring the magnificent tundra, checking out canyons and waterfalls, and seeing all the fauna described by the other reviewers. The two weeks (the final two weeks of July 2012) flew by.

And yes, the food is fantastic.

If you have wanted to experience the far North without mosquitoes (so far), then this is the place to be. The Weber family and their amazing staff will ensure your stay is near perfect.

6  Thank Judy805

The arctic summer is so short that during a two week visit you can see the change and get a sense of the arctic summer. As well, we get to know our guest better if they stay longer!

Reviewed September 10, 2012

You may only spend 1 week at Arctic Watch Lodge, but it will stay with you for a lifetime. you expect to see Beluga whales, muskox and other Arctic wildlife. What will surprise you is the
incredible food and the amazing hospitality of the Weber family. Richard, Josee, Tessum and
Nansen are the ideal hosts who will share with you their love of the Arctic. The stories and the memories you return with will amaze and delight all your friends. Go now- you will not be disappointed!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 500John
Richard W, Owner at Arctic Watch Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Thank you for the wonderful review. At Arctic Watch, all our team works hard to make everyone's arctic experience truly special.

Reviewed August 26, 2012

Arctic Watch is a truly unique experience. The variety of wildlife I saw was amazing. The lodge is only a short walk away from the Cunningham Inlet, where dozens of beluga whales can be seen at a time playing in the shallows. Out on the tundra we saw a variety of birds, herds of muskoxen, arctic hares and foxes

The staff are all very friendly, great guides and very knowledgeable. The in-house chef prepared a fantastic variety of meals and the accommodations were very comfortable.

Time goes by quickly at Arctic Watch and a week went by before I knew it. I'd go back in a heartbeat.

1  Thank Justin M
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Being at Arctic Watch has given me a new love for the north. I spent a week there shooting photos all over the tundra. The staff took me in as one of their own, and the food was some of the best food I've ever had. Would go back for sure.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I have been thinking about how to get back to Arctic Watch since I got home. This 1 week trip to the North opened my eyes to what amazing travel experiences can be like. When i read about the location, I understood there would be whales but I did not expect Belugas, musk ox, polar bear, arctic foxes, snowy owls etc.

Between the whale watching, the hiking, the tours, the rafting, the Ice bergs and the amazing food I am not sure how I am going to top this trip.

Thank you to the amazing staff for making this a trip to remember.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Andrew M

Been to Arctic Watch Lodge? Share your experiences!