“Best Resort in Nova Scotia”

Pictou Lodge Beachfront Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Pictou
Reviewed June 28, 2007

WOW! What a quality resort. Pictou Lodge is located in one of the most beautiful locations in Nova Scotia. My 2 sons, ages 9 and 11 and I just spent 3 incredible, fun-filled days enjoying Pictou Lodge. It was my first stay at the Lodge and I was really impressed. My boys enjoyed the clean warm pool, riding the quality bicylces, playing on the sandy beach, and eating fantasic food. There were so many fun activities for the kids - this only mentions a few. The staff were professional yet warm and friendly. We stayed in 2 different cabins and both were clean and full of character. I have stayed in various resorts in Nova Scotia on various shores, and I must say that Pictou Lodge gets my vote. Not only is Pictou Lodge a fantastic place for families, it would be an incredibly romantic get-a-way for couples. I can't believe that anyone would have anything negative to say about Pictou Lodge. It is a 10 out of 10 in my opinion! Book at stay at the Lodge - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank booksea

Reviewed February 4, 2007

The Pictou Lodge Resort is a bad example of maritime hotels. This place is run down and old. Everything has a musty smell to it. The grounds are hardly kept up, the only thing going for it is that is located right on the Northumberland Straight. I spent nearly a week there this summer and did not enjoy it.

The rooms are hardly up to standards. The amenities are terrible. They have these little individually wrapped soaps and huge bottle of shampoo hanging in the bathroom. Didnt anyone get the memo about community amenties? I could put anything I wanted in those bottles, ie bleach, hair dye. I wasnt 100% sold on the idea of using products others have used. I had a kitchette and didnt use it one bit. The items looked and felt like they were from the Dollarama. Cheap cheap cheap!!!

The reception area is too cluttered. I went to ask the agents a few questions and it was as if i was bothering their hen party they had going on. I know its a rustic place but it doesnt mean lowering of standards. The Keltic, Liscombe, and the Pines are also rustic but no where near as cheap and flimsy as this place!

I will say the restaurant is good. The food was good-just dont order the green curry dinner. Desserts were excellent. Also do not do the brunch they have, it is a waste of money.

I agree, stay at the Customs House but dine at the Pictou Lodge Resort.

Stayed: February 2007
5  Thank NSTripplanner
Reviewed September 17, 2006

I and my wife (age 40 yrs.) are from Toronto and were travelling from Charlottetown PEI to Cape Breton Nova Scotia on vacation. All we wanted to do was drive and relax. We happened on Pictou by chance while looking for a room; one of those "let's see what it's like" things. We scouted the town, which is a cute little place, and headed through to the Lodge about a 5 min. drive out of town.

I will try to be as honest as possible, having reviewed properties with and used reviews from Trip Advisor numerous times. Keep in mind we have travelled a lot in Canada and the US for years.

The lodge does not try to compete with 5 star properties. It is not lavishly appointed, it does not have $800/day suites, it isn't trying to be the Waldorf. But, here's what it specializes in: affordable comfort in a very friendly atmosphere.

Do not be put off by modest decoration and rustic cabins. You aren't here for the star treatment. And please don't think you will be arriving at a run-down dumpy location, because the Lodge is very well maintained.

Your little cabin will have everything you need to feel comfortable like you have your own little vacation property! You can have an older cabin or a newer cabin with various combinations of beds, etc. We slept very comfortably. This place is simple, and that's part of the beauty.

We were made to feel like part of the family, which was absolutely incredible. The staff were really friendly (typical Acadians!) and were genuinely interested in talking about non-hotel stuff! You will want to return, and we did! We came back for another night after 2 nights in Sydney.

Now I'm a picky guy, I could care less about the sale of the week or the great bargain a co-worker found on the internet. Great tips usually turn out to be garbage or really cheap junk. It was very relaxing at the Lodge, especially the main Lodge log building; it reminded us of Muskoka lodges from last century, and I'm an expert in that area.

The view is large and pretty. You may see seals as we did munching their way casually through a shoal of fish. I strongly urge you to eat at the dining room as well. The food was excellent. Remember, I said I was picky. Just thinking about my Pork Loin with dry blueberry is making me lick my chops. We had 2 dinners on 2 different nights and both were very well prepared.

Would I stay again? Yes. Would I recommend? Yes. Would I let my parents stay? Yes. What else do you want from me? Just go if you're in the area. I really can't see someone coming out of this place disappointed. We were delighted, and I don't use that word a lot.

And before you go to bed at night, walk beyond the Adirondack chairs facing the Northumberland Strait. Keep going until you're just behind the cabins, out of the bright lights shining in your eyes. Then, look up. It didn't take long before I saw 2 meteors, 1 satellite and something I can't explain. Oh ya, and about a zillion stars, because the view is awesome. And so is the quiet.

• Stayed: September 2006, traveled as a couple
5  Thank CADTraveller
Reviewed August 21, 2006

We stayed a couple of nights at the beautiful Pictou Lodge. The resort was built in 1926 by Canada Rail and has the charme of the classy rustic resort. The main lodge is a big wooden structure and we enjoyed their Jazz evening while the kids had "room service".
The lodge offers different kind of accomodations at various price levels. We booked 2 queen beds and had a spacious, updated room. The service was very attentive and the resort offers lots of activities- free canoes, peddle boats, swimming pool, free bikes, outdoor games, pool billirad, BBQ and more.

There are even seals righ off the beach!

We loved the Pictou Lodge and visited Pictou town- don't miss the old ship Hector.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
3  Thank Winterhude
Reviewed August 19, 2006

We were driving towards Cape Breton and I thought it sounded like a nice place. It's about 20 minutes off of the highway, very close to the PEI ferry. The location is absolutely gorgeous! We stayed in a 2 bedroom cabin (1 king and 1 queen) that overlooked the ocean - I believe it was recently constructed. Very clean inside - AC in the bedrooms, TV in living room, nice large bathroom, and you have your own porch to sit and watch the ocean. This place is fabulous for kids - they have a million activities - almost all free of charge. You can borrow bicycles, or a canoe to paddle about the freshwater lake, play basketball, or go swimmingin the pool or ocean. There is also a beautiful walk in the woods that winds around the back of the property. We did not eat at the restaurant, but the menu looked good.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PiaRosetti
Reviewed August 28, 2005

The Pictou Lodge is located outside the town of Pictou, right on the ocean and it is a magnificent setting. Our room was a queen bedded, air conditioned, mini suite facing the water. It was very comfortable. We also had a small deck outside the room. We had booked a package that included breakfast (anything from the menu) and a 2 course dinner (starter, main course and coffee). We were there on Jazz night Tuesday which was a treat. The roast beef dinner was amazing and our friend loved his rack of lamb. Breakfast was also excellent. We were very sorry that we had only planned a one night stay as we would have loved to enjoy more time at the Pictou Lodge.

9  Thank buzzby
Reviewed June 14, 2005

I arrived and was warmly greeted. The place has stunning views of the ocean with lots to do or just relax. The food was great !! Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2005, traveled on business
8  Thank Truckerbob
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pictou
Travelodge Suites New Glasgow
#1 of 12 in Pictou
Willow House Inn
Willow House Inn
#2 of 12 in Pictou

Been to Pictou Lodge Beachfront Resort? Share your experiences!