“fantastic breakfast!”

Ranked #1 of 12 Pictou B&B and Inns
whitewood, sk
“fantastic breakfast!”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

this was a last minute late check in for us and so glad they were able to accomodate us! we stayed in max's landing - huge room with everythign you could possibly need. breakfast was amazing pumpkin pancakes! comfy bed, and very clean. will stay again when we are back that way and would definatly recommend!!

Room Tip: we stayed in Max's landing - very large room, with ensuite bath!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Brantford
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We just arrived home from our vacation down east. We had the opportunity to stay at Evening Sail for a day/evening. I have only ever written one review priviously because I am so fussy and seldom are my standards met. Not only were they met here, but exceeded. We had the whole house (3 apartments) for our family. The rooms were immaculate, comfortable and beautifully decorated, I could have easily called this home. The apartment with the "odour" was not detected by any of us and there were no air fresheners to cover anything up-perhaps it was brought in with the guests ? The lobster supper at the beach was beyond expectation ( I recommend this to anyone who stays) and breakfast was out of this world - pumpkin pancakes, yum. Thanks to Michelle and Gail for an awesome experience-keep up the great work

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Oberlin, Ohio
Reviewed August 12, 2012

We stayed here just one night on our way to Cape Breton from Annapolis Royal. We stayed in the suite named Max's Landing which was located on the lower floor of the B&B's second building. The room was large, very clean and comfortable without the air conditioning turned on even though the day had been quite warm and humid. Although the patio doesn't provide a view of the harbor, it was a very relaxing place to sit with wine or coffee. The owner is very friendly and knowledgeable about the area. We took her up on all of her two recommendations. (dinner at the Pictou Lodge and sailing on the Amoeba in Baddeck)
Of course the breakfast was excellent - you even get a doggie bag to take along a few pastries you can't possibly finish at breakfast.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed July 30, 2012

This bed and breakfast was actually recommended to me by my AAA agent which influenced our family's decision to stay in Pictou for a night on our way to PEI. We arrived in the late afternoon , and Michelle informed us that there was really nothing to to do at this time. She was kind enough to check the movie theater times in the next town however. She showed me our suite which was very charming and welcoming. She had the back porch door open and the front door open so there was a beautiful breeze through the room and if felt light and airy. After enjoying the room, the breeze and the views for the evening we closed the back porch door and the front door for the night's slumber. Two hours later I awoke to a horrid smell. It smelled of garbage, possible old food, socks...I couldn't tell. I looked in the drawers, under the beds and even outside my window and outside the front door to find the source. I found nothing. The rest of my family was sleeping and I did not want to wake them. I could not sleep all night . My children became aware of the putrid odor when they returned from their morning run This all could have been an oversight and just one of those things but in the morning I realized that Michelle had the doors open on purpose when we arrived, knowing perfectly well of the severe mold and camauflaging it for us. I felt deceived and very tired!!!!!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank abberobics
Michelle L, Owner at Evening Sail B&B, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
We have tried without success to find the source of the musty smell you experienced in your room but as you did not notify us at the time and since we can’t smell anything unpleasant, there is very little we can do. Perhaps if you’d mentioned it at anytime during breakfast or the half hour you stood in our library and talked with me about the details of your day’s itinerary, we would have had some idea as to what might have been the cause. (A plumbing issue? Something outside?) No other guest has ever mentioned such a problem (and as that room has been rented every night but one since you left, surely someone would have noticed so glaring an issue) and since mould doesn’t just come and go, I really don’t know what to say.
None of this, however, changes the fact that you believe there was a problem and that you were unhappy with your stay. For that, we certainly apologize. No guest of ours is ever expected to stay in a room that does not meet their expectations or pay for a room that has been a disappointment. Common courtesy, however, requires you at least give me the chance to address your concerns instead of fabricating grand conspiracy theories and deliberately misquoting me (I did not say there wasn’t anything to do in Pictou, but after you rejected the ideas I did suggest – the beach, 3 museums, live music, walking trails, etc.- I agreed that there didn’t seem to be much that was of interest to you).
It is a sad commentary on the state of the world that your first thought was that we were deceiving you. The Evening Sail is both our home and our business and we want only for our guests to enjoy their visit with us. Why would anyone with any sense want unhappy, and therefore, unpleasant people in their home? Breakfast is very often the social highlight of our day and intentionally misleading people would make for very awkward conversation, indeed.
Wolverhampton
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Stopped one night on a tour around Nova Scotia. Stopped in Max's Landing - what a beautiful room. Friendly welcome and info on town evening dining. Lovely deck area to sit on in the evening.
The unusual part was the breakfast, everyone gets to eat together, this is fun if you are a morning person, a bit more challenging for those still asleep! However, a good idea as you get to meet all the other people in the B & B who you would not normally meet or talk to so you can share or listen as suits you. Breakfast was yummy and we got to take a treat away with us to eat later. Michelle and her mom chat through breakfast and make the whole thing work.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Chester, Virginia
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My sister and I stayed in the Driftwood at Evening Sail. It was lovely to have a place to actually prop your feet up and be comfy during the down times. (The couch is exceptional for napping, by the way.) Gail and Michelle bend over backwards to make sure everyone has a good experience. Wish more places were like this! Thanks!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Glassboro, New Jersey
Reviewed July 24, 2012

wonderful place to stay near the ferry. We had the Max's Landing room, a studio with kitchen. Cute seasside motif with comfortable porch. quiet and peaceful - perfect get-a-way. Breakfast was delicious. Gail (Michelle's mom) makes wonderful pastries. We highly recommend this delightful B & B.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pictou
Travelodge Suites New Glasgow
The Pictou Puffin Bed and Breakfast
Customs House Inn
Customs House Inn
#7 of 12 in Pictou

Been to Evening Sail B&B? Share your experiences!