“Worked fine for us.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 12 Pictou B&B and Inns
Asheville, NC
“Worked fine for us.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2009

We found our stay of one night to be kind of enjoyable. Yes, the stairs can be a problem. In fact the breakfast room and sitting room is on the second floor.
The innkeeper was quite helpful. We did not have a great choice of room so ended up climbing to 4th floor, I believe. The room was not well furnished, but adequate. We did have a great view of the harbor. The breakfast was fine.
Generally, it's not quite your typical B&B...but fit into the Pictou scene for us.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Terry C

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Annapolis Valley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2009

My friend and I spent one night there last summer. Dragging a heavy suitcase up three flights of stairs in your late fifties is not pleasant. The proprietoress was friendly enough , although she seemed to like to brag about herself and how "gifted" her children are. Like as if I care! Keep it to business- like please. The room was at the front of the building , thus "street noise" and it wasnt dark enough conducive to sleep. I did like the tall ceilings-- it gave the room a feeling of airiness. It would have been nice to have a back bedroom away from the noise of the street--there were three other ones empty that night.. I didn't feel comfortable about leaving my new car in the back of the building either, but my only other choice was to leave it on the street. My friend had an uneasiness about the place and proprietoress. We didnt stay for breakfast .We would not stay at this establishment again.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank AnnapolisValleyBob
Nepean, Ontario
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 6, 2008

This is a fine, friendly Inn. The proprietress is quite helpful. The property, a reconditioned old Inn, is quite charming and well-furnished. It is located close to all the attractions of the town. The only drawback is that it has three floors of rooms, and no elevator.

• Liked — Friendly proprietress and location
  • Disliked — Lack of elevator to a third floor room
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Northern_Tourist
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2008

If you are going to cross sea from P.E.I to New Scotia by ferry, or just travelling to of from the Cape Breton Island, and need a night stay, try to reach the town of Pictou and then be prepared to find a fine stay in the Auberge Walker Inn. It is very possible that you would be pleasantly surprised as we - my wife and myself - were. It is a very stylish family Inn, which occupies an old brick building - we did not ask Samantha, the Inn's owner, about its age or history, but given the history of Pictou and some other buildings in it, this one seems to be quite old as well.
But inside it is a very good Inn, with large and well renovated rooms and bathrooms, comfortable beds and lots of space and air. Breakfast is served in a large room which also is a bearer of style. We knew about Samantha's dog and were worrying a bit, for my wife is allergic to animal fur ... but she did not feel anything wrong - and my wife is very sensitive to such things.
There was not an airconditioner in the room; instead, a fan was installed in a window. However, we found it quite efficient. Oh, and guests may enjoy a free wireless Internet! As for the car, we parked it behind the building ... can't say what will be in future, for the neighbouring building was getting its new owners who may stop a free car parking on their property.
And you will enjoy Pictou itself - with the Main street, dedicated to Scottish clans, the replica of Hector the ship and charming little things along the shore.

• Liked — Atmosphere of the Inn
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank Middle_age_couple
Halifax
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2008

I read the Scottish lady's review after booking our room and became a bit concerned that we would not enjoy our stay there, but we were quite pleased with the whole experience. This is the second B&B we have tried in the Pictou/New Glasgow area.

We found the interior to be nicely decorated. The hostess was very polite and accommodating to us and our young children. Our room was modest but clean and nicely decorated; better than most hotel rooms we've experienced. The continental breakfast was simple yet satisfying (toast, cereal, etc.) and she offered a cooked breakfast for $5 if one was so inclined.

We visited the web sites of every B&B in the area we could find and e-mailed or telephoned them all. We got the best price and among the most pleasant communications from Sam at the Auberge Walker.

I might also add in contrast to the other review that the stairs were fine by us.

• Liked — The decor, hostess, and wireless Internet access
  • Disliked — The small shower
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank mrlinux
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2007

We stayed here towards the end of the summer last year, in fact I think we were just about the last guests of the season in Pictou as the town was very quiet. I picked the AW Inn out of a guidebook and it got a reasonable review, mostly as a result of its central location. It is a relatively unpreposessing converted townhouse, tall and skinny with about three hundred stairs. When we arrived we were greeted by a gigantic French Mastiff called Basil, the biggest dog either of us have ever seen. Fortunately we are dog lovers, so this was no problem.

The reception area of the AW was very nice indeed, well decorated with a lot of lovely period features. We had high hopes for our room. The owner was a reasonably friendly English lady who booked us in while bemoaning her lack of guests and saying that she was in danger of going out of business. She then said that our room was on the top floor and that we had better be fit. We are, so we proceeded up the (many) stairs and into a room in what I can only assume used to be the attic. Unlike the rooms which I had glimpsed on my way up which were cool and had mahogany king bedsteads, muted heritage colours and all the trimmings of a NS bed and breakfast, the room into which we were shown had black-ash 1980's furniture, horrible splashy curtains, was BAKING hot and had possibly the most uncomfortable small double bed known to man (or woman). It became clear (as my hubby and I peeked into the other rooms on the floor that we were on) that we were the only occupants of the B&B and our room was the only one that hadn't been converted. The bathroom HAD been done and I was rather wondering whether the "1980's neglected" motif was intended to be a "period" room as well but given the high standard of the rest of the place I may have been being overly generous. We decided not to question the owner about changing rooms (foolishly, in retrospect) because we thought she was a nice chatty lady who seemed a bit fraught, and being British, we're not ones to make a fuss. After all, the room was clean, just ugly, and we didn't want to sound snobby. Although we WERE staying in a largely empty town and could probably have done better for the not hugely cheap price.

We spent a hot and clammy night there and the following morning headed down for breakfast. It turned out that there were two other couples staying (there were about ten rooms in the B&B). They were both older than us by some way and Canadian and American respectively. Our hostess sat in the breakfast room chatting happily away, and after breakfast I asked her if I could use the internet for ten minutes to find our next night's accomodation. I asked this because in our room there was a small clip-frame sign telling us what time breakfast was and that there was free internet on request. The lady owner looked at me as if I was bonkers and said no, her computer wasn't for guests. I mentioned the sign in our room and she said that that room hadn't been converted (we were right) and that it had been left there by the previous owners. I got really embarrassed and went upstairs to pack.

My husband went downstairs to pay and our hostess was standing in the kitchen talking to her housekeeper loudly about how much she disliked Americans. When she came out to take our money she laughed in an shamefaced fashion and said she was so glad we weren't Americans and it was nice to have some Brits (we are Scottish incidentally). When we left we couldn't help wondering whether she'd be telling her next guests she was glad they weren't Scots.

Seems to me if you are struggling for business you would give every guest the best available room and be careful about airing private opinions when you can be overheard. By all means stay here, it was clean and the breakfast was perfectly adequate but ask to see the room first and don't get stuck with the junk room (although this happened last year so she might've got around to converting it by now). And if you are an American try not to offend the owner!!

• Liked — Nice period features on the reception floor, good central location
  • Disliked — Felt a bit ripped off by the standard of the accomodation, wasn't impressed by the negative attitude of the owner.
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
13 Thank LittleBurdy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pictou
Travelodge Suites New Glasgow
Willow House Inn
Willow House Inn
#2 of 12 in Pictou
Pictou Lodge Beachfront Resort

Been to Auberge Walker Inn? Share your experiences!