“Good food, wide selection of ingedients with server issue”
Review of The mongolie grill

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed July 19, 2011

We were here on a Saturday at lunch after Canada Day and the first that day in the restaurant. We were using an online voucher that I purchased for $15 that gave a $30 food/drink credit. We were seated promptly by the hostess/chef. The restaurant is large with virtually no ambiance/atmosphere, rather dark looking but there are windows that look out to the street.

This is type of restaurant is where you select your uncooked ingredients from a selection of vegetables, meats, chicken and seafood and you add your cooking oil. Your food is weighed and you are charged $2.99/100 grams ($13.50 per pound) of the actual uncooked food. The food is then cooked and brought to you.

The server brought us the stainless steel bowls to select our food. Additionally, steamed rice, soup and wraps were brought to us before our food arrived. If you have the hot and sour soup, it will be hot.

There is a great selection of ingredients that will accommodate all finicky eaters. What I liked were the scallops. These were the large deep sea scallops and not the tiny bay scallops that many restaurants pass off as real scallops. Bonus points here. I had the scallops as well as the salmon, various vegetables and a teriyaki and a hot sauce

Our food arrived served by the chef and it was delicious for both of us. Service by the server was good for the water/coffee. We were full by the time the meal was over. We declined the dessert menu.

Overall, all was good to this point. The waiter brought the bill with the $30 food credit reduced and just stood there with his portable credit card machine in hand. His mannerism was that we were to settle up with him, there and immediately. I must say this was a first having dined in hundreds if not a thousand restaurants in my lifetime. The balance of our bill was in the $5 - $10 range. In retrospect we should have ignored him and see how long it would have taken him to speak or walk away. This mannerism by the waiter was intimidating.

Reviewed July 17, 2011

went there for a family birthday. the place was almost empty. but what a nice spot they have!!! the food is only as good as you an make it since you physically pick out your ingredients and sauce, what do you know about sauces?? i accidentally picked a hot hot hot sauce but they were kind to let me chose over and i enjoyed it. stir fry is what it is, good but no excitement. those wraps... ugh.

Reviewed February 16, 2010

I've been walking by this restaurant for almost 2 years now as it's located within the same building where I work, and I've heard mixed reviews from my colleagues. I finally decided to give it a try a few weeks ago, and will admit my first experience was nothing special. However, I gave it another try with a friend and it was delicious! I've been back several times since and have decided that as long as you keep and open mind and aren't expecting the experience of a traditional restaurant ( and I don't mean that in a bad way ) then this can be a very healthy and delicious meal- and quick enough to get back to work with time to spare!

Reviewed October 17, 2009

This is basically a do-it-yourself meal...you gather up the ingredients, the plate is weighed, then it's cooked up and delivered to your table. While the staff on the kitchen side seemed to be cheerful enough and qualified, the table service was poor....not a good attitude, very tardy delivery of beverages and the spring rolls came at the end of the meal. The food itself was OK I guess...I'm not an Asian chef by any stretch of the imagination...how should I know what sauces or quantity would work best??? For two adults and two kids with soft drinks and milk plus spring rolls came to CAD$87.00 w/o gratuity...I'll let the reader judge if it was worth it.

Reviewed September 27, 2009

A group of four of us went there Saturday night, were seated promptly and that was it. Another couple came in got seated next to us. 20 minutes later both tables were still there waiting for our "bowls", I mean after all how long does it take to look at that menu?

Meanwhile another group of four were seated on the other side of us about 10 minutes after us and got thier bowls within a couple minutes. Along with a that was a couple seated behind us 15 minutes after we were seated and they too got thier bowls within minutes

Needless to say my group of four and the couple beside us left. Clearly a disorganized restaurant and is in dire need of customer service lessons or at the very least a manager who knows to run a wait staff.

From what I read on other review sites, the food is usually an overcooked mess. But alas, I can't comment on this