“Bonissimo!”

Good for: Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Bonissimo! That's very good in Italian. And also describes A Mano's food and ambience. Great selection of salads, pizze and pasta and the service, although busy, is always prompt and curteous

Reviewed May 8, 2013

My husband and I visited this place on Saturday night after 8:00 pm with no reservations, the place was packed and we got a table in within minutes. Food was warm, delicious and well priced. Our appetizer was not great it was some sort of bread, very dry & tasteless, but dessert was phenomenal! I had the pistachio gelato and was the best I have ever had. I personally found this place very noisy for a romantic dinner but again it was saturday night. Will visit again when in Halifax.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

We ate at this restaurant on May 3rd. One nice feature is that you can book on line and they will phone you to confirm the time and number in party. We arrived early, however were shown to a table within 5 minutes. The view of the harbour is lovely. The menu has something for everyone. I ordered the fish of the day which was Halibut. It was cooked to perfection and came with baby potatoes and carrots. My husband ordered stuffed chicken however received a chicken pasta dish. The waiter insisted this is what he ordered. It was good however not what he wanted. If you are looking for a romantic meal, this might not be the place for you as the noise at times was unbelievable. Much like you would expect at a tavern, but the food is very good and waiters friendly

Reviewed April 6, 2013

Firstly, and lastly, the food was excellent.
Now to the teensy bit in the middle....

I should preface this account by saying it was a busy Friday evening and the staff did not have their feet up. But:-
* we reserved a window seat, and we're glad we did, but it was rather cramped.
* the muzak was way too loud. Which made all the other tables talk louder. Which made for a very noisy evening.
* the first bottle of wine we ordered was off. Plain & simple - good vinegar. We noticed that the top half of the bottle was at about the right temperature, but the bottom half of the bottle was noticeably warmer (WARNING - check the feel/temperature of the bottle _before_ it is opened at your table: you'll save a lot of hassle).
* the second bottle to arrive took over 15 minutes. They could have got it quicker if they'd bought it from the wine store right next door! Why keep us waiting sooooo long? A prompt second bottle would have helped relegate the bad first one to an unfortunate error. However, even the second bottle was not at the correct temperature. Mr Manager: pay more attention to your wine storage.
* starters were delicious.
* "Could we have some bread please?" "We don't serve bread - you have to choose it from the menu." "What??" Which means: YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR BREAD! Why oh why oh why? This is an upscale restaurantSince when is a basket of bread a menu item? How the heck do you eat soup without bread? A green salad without bread & butter? Ugh. So we ordered - and paid for -bread. Unforgivable. And stupid, stupid, stupid....
* Three of the four starter plates were cleared, whilst the fourth was still being tackled. But that did not stop two wait staff from bringing all four entrees!! And the waitress stood there, holding a plate, while our companion wolfed down the last of her starter!! Unforgivable #2. And stupid, stupid, stupid....
* entrees were excellent.
* dessert & liqueurs were excellent.

I was a bit upset about this - my first visit (but not so my companions). I debated leaving a smaller tip, but decided otherwise - she got my usual tip.
And that was really because the staff were very busy and the two faux-pas were really management issues.
Maybe at my age I appreciate little extra attention, so Yes, I dare say I'll be back, but I will try not to pick a busy evening.

1  Thank britt77
Reviewed March 24, 2013

I've been to a Mano mutliple times. It's convenient location downtown makes it a great lunch spot for Haligonians working downtown, but because it's close to the waterfront, it's a great place for dinner followed by a nice scenic walk in the evenings too. The wait staff are very attentive and pleasant and the food selection is great. I'm a huge fan of the standard spaghetti and meat balls (great portions; always leftovers), but I've had friends get vegatarian dishes and be extremely pleased with the salad selection as well. I've heard their gelato is delicious, but haven't had the pleasure yet. Decent wine selection and prices are quite good. Seating can be a bit cramped if you're at a table of two, and parking can be difficult because of it's prime location downtown. Overall, a lovely restaurant with delicious Italian cuisine that everyone should try while in Halifax!