“Just like back home!”

Fredies Fantastic Fishhouse
Ranked #1 of 737 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Local cuisine
Description: Fredies Fantastic Fishhouse is a small diner located in Bayers Lake Park. We specialize in Fresh Fish and hand cut Fries, Chowder, Fresh Whole Clams, Digby Scallops and Pure Lobster Rolls. We are passionate about providing our Customers with the best service and freshest seafood that Nova Scotia has to offer.
“Just like back home!”
Reviewed April 9, 2013 via mobile

I love these ladies. Even if they don't see you for months they remember you and the fish is always great and the fries are fresh and crispy. You can't go wrong with fredies

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Walter R

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“I LOVE Fredies!! Best food and service around!!”
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I always recommend Fredies to anyone who is looking for amazing fish and seafood. It is THE BEST!! I have to say, I read a comment about Fredies' gravy being gross etc. and was quite surprised! Something must have happened that day because they have one of the best gravies I've tasted! I have never been disappointed after eating there, ever. If you haven't tried it yet, you're missing out. You cannot ask for better food or service! Or if for some reason you weren't happy with something (like I said, this has never happened to me) I'm sure if you talked to the owner, Tammy, about it she would do her best to make it right!! Unlike some other places, she actually cares about her customers!!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank KiLeblanc
Nova Scotia, Canada
“Good Friday Fish :)”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

I haven't eaten here in a couple years but decided to try it on Good Friday. It was packed and they were actually counting pieces of fish until they put the signs on the door sold out. I ordered the family pack it was a 10 piece with fries, coleslaw, gravy which they say feeds 4-5 people. It was quite a wait to get it, they were out of coleslaw so gave an extra piece of fish. There was plenty of fish but no way enough fries to serve 4-5 people. The gravy was some gross powdery feeling and tasting chocolate brown mess that looked like chocolate pudding ?? It was so horrible if you had paid us we could not have eaten it. It cost me $40 for family of 3 for the order and I was less then thrilled with my meal. I think it will be a long time before I try this place again, and no more family paks for sure ...or gravy.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank mjspetty
Halifax, Canada
“"Harbour Breton's" Finest Fish and Chips”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We happen to stumble on this gem last night in our quest for REAL fish and chips. It was quaint, friendly, inviting and oh yes, delicious! We were greeted by some of the friendliest people in the service industry we've ever encountered, a true sign of Newfoundland hospitality with food to match. The food was simple, FRESH, and straight up delicious. Huge portion, thick pieces of fish and made to order. What made it even better were the Newfie Fries, which we haven't had since moving to Nova Scotia eight years ago! Savory dressing, hand cut fries and hot gravy...What a treat! It brought us right back to Scampers in St. John's NL. And where else in world can you go and find out in less than 5 minutes that the host grew up in the same rural NL community as your father! This was an amazing find and it was some shockin' good!

• Visited February 2013
5 Thank NLAdventure
Halifax, Canada
“LOVE their fish and chips!”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This is always our go-to fish and chips place! It is deeeelish! What really made us happy about this place was how they use "real" fish. The batter isn't too thick, the fish is nice and flakey, and you can tell it is a piece of fish not a little chunk of something. Yummy!

• Visited May 2012