“Nice place, great nachos”

Economy Shoe Shop Cafe & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Economy Shoe Shop Cafe & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #128 of 775 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed January 7, 2014

Good selection of local brews on tap and good eats. The atmosphere is nice as well. I recommend getting the Propeller IPA and the garlic loaf

Reviewed December 16, 2013

Its a great place to chill out with friends at Economy Shoe Shop Cafe & Bar. The food are reasonable-priced and wide-variety.

If you like fish and chips, or grilled haddock on burger, you would love it so much !! We had 4 people dinning on Dec 12th and we ordered their famous fish n chips, haddock on burger, daily soups, a pasta and a grilled Lamb on ciabatta!

I loved my grilled lamb on Ciabatta so much !! All I can say is ....'I finished my whole sandwich quickly before my server came to ask me, if my food is ok or not!!!' I just LOVED it !!!

The atmosphere was good with lots of young people or office worker dinning there !

1  Thank HiBeautiful
Reviewed December 2, 2013

This place is a pretty fun bar. I have lived on and off in Halifax for a while. They have the worst food ever though. Each dish had the same frozen vegetables. Overpriced and sad food. Go there for drinks though as it is a good bar.

Reviewed November 25, 2013

Confusing when you enter as there appear to be 2 sides and 2 doors. No one asked if we needed help being seated. I eventually asked the bartender on the bar side if we could grab a table on the patio. This place was packed inside and the outside patio left us with one option. We grabbed it. Eventually the bartender came for our drink orders and said we were welcome to grab another table when one came up. We did just that. In the "Shoe Shop"s defense, the City has left this immense construction hole across the street and so the view on the patio is pathetic. I've been to Halifax 3 times in this past year and this hole remains. I don't know how the merchants around it can cope. However it didn't stop this patio or the surrounding ones from enjoying a heavy volume of customer traffic. The panhandling is a nuisance but, unavoidable.
So that's the environment. We enjoyed our food ! An upscale pub menu with original items and the price to match. We had the Mediterranean Dip and stupidly filled up on that and the amazing Sweet Potato Fries.So the entrees were a hit with us. We did not do the "famous" nachos and don't regret that because our Haddock Burger and Fish and Chips were delish and massive. You will NOT leave hungry. Appetizers+Mains+Beer $53.33. There's your Economic forecast for a night out.I wonder if reservations are taken? It might help with the seating issue for you if you go. This place was jumping and that seems to be a good sign. Oh, and look for the sign hanging above the door. "Economy Shoe Shop" That's what it was before becoming a restaurant.

1  Thank Brigit_12
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Went in the other night with a few colleagues for dinner and had a nice time. I really like the vibe of this place at night and there was a live jazz band that played later in the evening which was a added perk. I had the fish and chips which was good, but I think what impressed me the most was the coleslaw which had a great balance of flavours.

1  Thank mon p