“Best spot for drinks and snacks”

Economy Shoe Shop Cafe & Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
Economy Shoe Shop Cafe & Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #128 of 774 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood, Bar, Cafe
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Everyone raves about the nachos, but the spinach and artichoke dip's pretty great too. Plenty of drink options, interesting, dark and cozy decor, and a wonderful patio in the summer.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I'll start with the good. The atmosphere in the Shoe Shop can't be beat. Feels like you are outside in Europe somewhere. Great place for drinks and meeting friends. On to the bad now. The service is terrible and very slow. We came in one night and had a male server who's name I won't mention. We seemed more like a nuisance to him than customers. When asked why there was a delay in receiving our apps/drinks he was very snippy and blamed it on being short staffed and the only one working in the section. No "sorry for the delay" or "my apologies if your food may takes a little longer than usual as we are short on staff". Just a little courtesy. We went to his manager and when the server was called over he stomped off in a snit. Crazy!

Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been to the Shoe Shop a few times, mainly because it was the choice of the person I ws going with. It does have a nice atmosphere when its not packed and you can hear the person you are talking with. But, they don't have much of a menu or selection. Drinks are just alright and I was told once by a waiter that they do not have to have happy hour or any specials "because basically people will come to such a good spot without specials." Which was a little arrogant in my opinion. If I didn't go back again I wouldn't be too put out. Their nachos are quite good, if you want to spend $20 on a plate of nachos.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Shoe Shop used to be a great place for a few drinks and a bite to eat. Not so much any more. The restuarant continues to boast a great location and a neat atmosphere, but the food is awful and no amount of drinks can convince me otherwise.

The menu boasts a number of wins for "Best Nachos". Don't be fooled. That was then. This is now. Our table was impressed only by how soggy the chips were. The plate remained largely uneaten.

I played it safe and ordered a $15 Ceasar salad that promised local Dragon's Breath Cheese and bacon. What I recieved was a disappointing plate of lettuce with large, peeled lemon segments (that I mistook initially for pear slices). My experience was further soured by a complete lack of dressing and microscopic bits of cheese and bacon. I ended up sending the salad back and was not charged for my order. Apparently, you can screw up even the most basic of salads.

The smoked salmon chowder that sufficed as my entire meal was underwhelming, although not unacceptable.

Our server was quite pleasant and attentive.

I might go back for drinks some night when out on the town, but I will never waste my time trying to eat at the Shoe Shop again.

1  Thank Heather S
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Nachos were OK (for $15, with no extra toppings was very steep) and the best thing on the table was the salsa. Not a single child-friendly choice. A hamburger seemed safe but not so much when it consists of a huge, dry Kaiser roll, and overcooked dry meat. Two of us ordered fish & chips. Looked good on top, but were actually scorched black on the bottom! We would have sent everything back but we were in a hurry AND waited a long time for that food. Limp, flavourless fries were not even worth eating. Pulled pork sandwiches ordered by two others, who were unpleasantly surprised to find sweet potato CHIPs, instead of fries. While he did check, a scant minute after bringing the food, there was no questions asked by the server why the plates were almost as full AFTER our meal as they arrived on the table.

There are 7 of us who will always give this place a pass in the future.