“Excellent food, intimate atmosphere”
Review of Morris East

Morris East
Ranked #36 of 715 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Canadian
Good for: Kids, Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Description: Unique and delicious wood fired pizza served in a warm and cozy environment. Choose from a variety of mouth watering toppings not found elsewhere or even vegetarian and gluten free options.
Fredericton, Canada
“Excellent food, intimate atmosphere”
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I visited Morris East with three friends this past weekend. We were celebrating a birthday, and wanted something relaxed yet indulgent. Our experience at Morris East was one of the best dining experiences I've had in Halifax. We stayed for over two hours, our server was prompt and extremely helpful. Morris East is also an excellent place to go if you have celiac disease, as one of our friends did. Many of their menu items are offered gluten-free, and are quite delicious.
We ordered four appetizers to share: the stuffed portobello cap, the ceasar salad, the seafood chowder, and the charcuterie platter. We had two pizzas on the gluten-free crust: the roasted vegetable and the organic roasted chicken. For dessert, we chose the chocolate torte and the fresh fruit sorbet. All were delicious, and we agreed we would gladly return and order all of these dishes again.
We were also very appreciative that the bartender graciously whipped up delicious non-alcoholic versions of our drinks for our pregnant friend, so she felt included and could enjoy the whole experience.

• Visited March 2012

Halifax, Canada
“Such a great place”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Pizza is awesome and I love the desserts, a little on the small side but too much dessert is good for no one.

“Great Find”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

Great pizza. Great service. Try the mushroom pizza and don't forget to add the spicy oil.

Dartmouth, Canada
“Great first visit of many, I'm sure”
Reviewed January 26, 2012

Finally got a chance to try Morris East last night. The restaurant was much smaller than I expected but the atmosphere and the room was bustling. We were seated quickly and had glass of wine in hand in now time. Warning: With the pizza ovens in full swing, this small space can be unbelievable hot even on cold winter day, so dress accordingly!!

First of all, our server (Amber, by the name on the bill) was fantastic, very knowledgeable and personable. She helped us choose our dishes, letting us know when she thought we had chosen something we would really be excited about, and when we were ordering too much (dessert).

For appetizers, we shared the Butternut Squash salad and the charcuterie platter, both fantastic choices. The charcuterie platter had 2 cheeses, 3 meats including a house-smoked duck bacon, and some other tidbits like candied nuts, pickled carrots and a wicked raisin chutney. All was served with a generous portion of tasty crackers. The salad, oh the salad, to die for. Tender chunks of sweet roasted squash, thin slices of radicchio, more of the candied nuts and a really nice buttermilk dressing. I would have loved more Dragon's Breath in it, but it really didn't matter, it was so good.

For entrees, we both opted for the gnocchi special (it was a Wednesday) which was served with turkey kielbasa, asparagus and a blue cheese cream sauce. We weren't quite as blown away by this course as the gnocchi were a bit too fluffy for our liking, and again, a heavier hand with the blue cheese would have given the dish more of a punch; an offer of freshly ground pepper might also have helped. The turkey kielbasa was also a strange addition to the dish, and even though my companion buys a chunk every time she's at the market, it just didn't go.

We moved on to dessert and chose the wood-fired s'more and the salted caramel tart. I'm not a marshmallow fan so I can't comment but my friend absolutely adored every bite. My salted caramel tart was amazing, a perfect consistency, crust, taste and contract with the salt, but alas, I couldn't finish and had to abandon the last few bites :(

One thing I would love to see is a better selection of Nova Scotian wines as the only one that has made the cut is Grand Pre's delicious Pomme d'Or. But overall, a great night and we can't wait to go back.

• Visited January 2012
Halifax, Canada
“Very average for the price...”
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We ordered the lunch prix fixe - half a blue cheese, proscuitto and arugula pizza, salad and a caramel tartlette for me . My companion ordered the pork sandwich. Her sandwich turned up burned on the outside, and the filling was nothing to write home about. My pizza was average, the toppings were excellent, but the crust was soggy. The mesclun greens were on the verge of being unservable, and the dressing was bland and not enough to cover the amount of salad - a waste of effort in my opinion. The salted caramel tartlette was amazing but didn't save our opinion of this restaurant - I would not go back.

• Visited January 2012