“Ladies night great night with great food and atmosphere”
Review of The Wooden Monkey

The Wooden Monkey
Ranked #30 of 870 Restaurants in Halifax
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed May 28, 2014

There were about 8 ladies & we all had various dishes. I had a pasta dish along with a few others & it was very good & the others all enjoyed their meals.

Date of visit: August 2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,043)

Reviewed May 28, 2014

A neat restaurant with some very nice dishes on the menu. Very consistent. Providing a good range of seafood options.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

When we ordered we were one of four tables. The restaurant slowly filled up and we watched people who had arrived after us get their food. The waitress finally told us after a 1/2 hr that they had dropped our food and asked if she could bring us hummus and chips. She brought us the hummus at the same time as our meals. My burger was dry and had a sad amount of mushrooms, and my friend ordered the arctic char which she said was cooked nicely but overpowered by the chili oil. The debit machine kept malfunctioning so all in all not recommended for a business lunch.

1  Thank swim_bunny2012
Reviewed May 8, 2014

Here is my stream of consciousness review, written as I dined:

Walked in at about 5 on a Thursday. Was the first one in for supper, I think. More people arrived quickly afterward.

Gaspereau rose ($5 at a special price - normally 9. Very good, light and inoffensive
Arctic Char ($23) recommended, perfectly prepared with shredded vegetables on top. Broccoli, cauliflower, zucchini, carrots on the side. Sweet sauce, slight hint of spiciness, tasty whipped potatoes with some green onion, generous portion. Chocolate tofu pie - smooth and AWESOME! Served on a nut crust and with whipped cream. Did I mention the awesomeness?

Total = $38 before taxes and tip

Friendly staff, raw food, lots of local ingredients. Small but kinda fancy and interesting menu. Pretty casual atmosphere. Saw one couple come in and dine with a baby. Jazzy music mixed with newer and 80s light hits. No wifi. Very nice decor, respectful of the building history and the environment by keeping the old but making it new.

Pretty good date spot. Corner of Prince and Grafton, downtown.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

I have food intolerances so for me eating at the Wooden Monkey is a great experience. My husband doesn't have food intolerances or stomach problems but he absolutely loved the food also. Cool vibe, nice location, great food.

Date of visit: August 2013