“Surprise find...”
Review of The Wooden Monkey

The Wooden Monkey
Reserve with OpenTable
The Wooden Monkey is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #25 of 775 Restaurants in Halifax
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Having spent a month away with work, a few colleagues and I were staging through Halifax for a day. Two of us stumbled across the wooden monkey when looking for somewhere to have lunch, and I can honestly say, hand on heart, that the seafood chowder was the best meal I'd had in a long time.

When later looking for somewhere to have dinner, a colleague said they'd found this nice little place on tripadvisor which looked the business, so I tagged along.. And Lo and behold, back I was at the wooden monkey. This time a table of five, we were seated in no time at all... Between us, we had most of the fish dishes, and none disappointed. Personally I had the Scallops wrapped in Bacon to start followed by the Haddock 'with a flair'...

10/10 (or 5 stars in TA-speak!!)

Let's hope I return to Halifax soon!!

Reviewed February 16, 2014

While I was travelling to Halifax on business I decided to eat at The Wooden Monkey because of their vegan-friendly menu and their good reviews. I was seated fairly quickly and loved the atmosphere of the place. An old building with old wooden features, mismatched chairs and tables... it was a seriously cute place! This restaurant also supports organic and local food as well as healthy eating practices, which I really appreciated.

I ordered the house beet salad, the lentil burger and a side of roasties. The salad was extremely tasty with a cream-like dressing and the lentil burger was very moist and full of flavor! I've had a few vegan burgers before and this one is easily the tastiest I've had! The roasties were like fries, but roasted with seasoning and olive oil instead of fried. I really enjoyed the whole meal and would definitely go back to try other tasty looking items on the menu, I also tried their power juice and I was pleasantly surprised. The juice has tons of fruits, vegetables, seed oils, etc and it actually tasted really good.

The only reason I took points away is because after my salad, it took 25-30 minutes to get my main course. I was very hungry and on a rush and did not enjoy having to wait that long for my meal. The service of the staff however was very

Reviewed February 9, 2014 via mobile

What more needs to be said? This place is incredible and keeps me coming back every time I'm in town.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Good fish and chicken dishes, reasonably priced, inviting atmosphere, good service -- the hallmarks of a successful and popular restaurant -- great place to unwind after a long and tiring day.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

I really enjoyed the soup and entrée I got here. It is a health conscious yummy place. Only suggestion is getting takeout containers that do not disintegrate!