“Love this restaurant !!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Wooden Monkey

The Wooden Monkey
Ranked #10 of 710 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Canadian, Soups
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Love this restaurant !!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

I went to The Wooden Monkey on a recommendation of a friend and I'm glad I went. A very nice restaurant with friendly staff and delicious food. I had the pulled pork sandwich served with their own version of French fries, it was very tasty. For dessert I had the Ice Cream Sandwich which is chocolate ice cream between 2 homemade peanut butter cookies, best ice cream ever (from Dee Dee's in Peggy's Cove), and with the cookies it was the perfect combination. Love this restaurant, you must go if you are in Halifax.

Visited April 2013

Oakville, Ontario, Canada
“Delightful Dining, Warm & Inviting Atmosphere”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2013

I have been traveling to Halifax on business for a number of years, and have a few favorite restaurants that I always return to - the Wooden Monkey being at the top of the list. The food is always fresh and incredibly tasty, and for the health conscious, the selection of organic choices is unparalleled. The seafood entree's, both the Haddock with a Flair (blackened with house-made salsa), and Sesame Crusted Haddock are delightful, with tasty fresh grilled veggy's and organic brown rice pilaff. No meal is complete without the chocolate tofu pie and a cup of fresh coffee. Don't go to Halifax without dining at the Wooden Monkey - trust me it will be one of your trips true highlights.

• Visited April 2013
Edmonton
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Freshest food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

The food is reasonably priced for how great the meals were. I had the Salmon and it was tender and fresh. If we hadn't gone there on our last night we would have gone back a second time. It was a welcome change to all the greasy pub food that we had.

Visited July 2012
Halifax, Canada
“Tofu Pie is to die for!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I have eaten here many times and have always enjoyed my meal, but the main reason I keep going back is for the Tofu Pie. It is AMAZING!!!!! Please don't be turned off the fact that it's tofu, you wouldn't even know. It reminds me of cheesecake, except without all the calories.

• Visited November 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, Canada
“Great Vegetarian Meal in Halifax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I spotted this on TripAdvisor when looking for an option for dinner in downtown Halifax. Visited on my own and had an organic vodka martini, the Japanese Dumplings, the Vegetable Curry along with a glass of Nova Scotian Pinot Grigio.

All was very tasty. Smooth martini but the vodka had a nice character. The dumplings themselves were a nice starter and the dipping sauce that came with them was exceptional. I was pleasantly surprised by the pinot grigio - a bit on the sweet side for me but that went well with the green curry of the vegetable curry. If I was super critical the quinoa was a bit over-cooked but that actually worked well in making it more delicate in structure so that it didn't over take the vegetables in texture.

The service was well-paced and friendly. They're clearly into their food and recommendations were respectful and just as friendly.

As a vegetarian I always enjoy finding restaurants who offer vegetarian options and put them on my must-visit list when the food is worth the trip. Wooden Monkey is on my must-visit list for trips to Halifax.

• Visited March 2013