Tripadvisor

“Poor quality food”

Gahan House Nova Centre
Ranked #65 of 830 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Brew Pub
Description: Gahan Nova Centre has a little something for everyone. Experience the beer. Experience the food. Experience the culture. Come experince Gahan.
Reviewed 5 weeks ago

I have been to the Charlottetown location on several occasions and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere and food. The Halifax location is an Ace as is the atmosphere of the bar, however the food is far less desirable. I ordered Mussels which were tasty, but suspect the portion was less than a lb and tiny mussels. I ordered fish and chips which were horrid, could taste old oil which ruined the whole meal. The only salvation to my experience was a young waitress whom was delightful. When you have location location, you have to step up your game!!

Date of visit: January 2020
Gahanhouse, General Manager at Gahan House Nova Centre, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Angus,

Thank you for sharing your experience and feedback. We always appreciate hearing from our guests as it helps us to improve. We apologize for your disappointing dining experience. We'd love the chance to make a much better impression! Please email gmhalifax@gahan.ca next time you're in town so we can make it up to you.

Thanks again
- Gahan House Guest Services

Write a reviewReviews (686)

Reviewed January 12, 2020

This restaurant does a delicious calamari, my favorite appetizer. I've ordered it in countless restaurants and this one was among the best I've had...tasty, crispy and nicely presented. My entree was the haddock dinner but the haddock, while perfectly cooked, tasted like it had been frozen...I usually ask if the fish is fresh or frozen but forgot to do so...my bad! but in a seacoast city fresh fish should be a given! The seafood chowder, the mac and cheese, the steak frites were all enthusiastically appproved and enjoyed by my group while several thought the fries were the best ever. Service was excellent although the restaurant was quite busy, a good indication of its overall quality. Right across the street from Neptune Theatre, it's in a great location for a dinner before of after a show.

Date of visit: January 2020
Gahanhouse, Owner at Gahan House Nova Centre, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2020

Hi mogilly! Thank you so much for sharing your experience and feedback! We're so glad you enjoyed your visit (and the calamari!) and we hope to see you again soon! - Gahan House Guest Services

Reviewed January 8, 2020 via mobile

Okay folks. I rarely give bad reviews but this place deserves it. We went on Monday night, Jan. 6th. All I can think is their regular chef was off that day. We were a party of six. My husband and one of my son-in-laws ordered the fish and chips after a strong recommendation from my daughter, who had eaten there before. The fish was overcooked on the outside and the chips were hard and tasted of old oil. My son-in-law has had cook’s training and quickly set the dish aside, saying the cook needed to change the fryer oil. When the waitress came back to the table to ask how our meal was, I told her about the fish and chips, and the cook needing to change the fryer oil. She was quite frosty, but said she’d tell the cook. Her attitude was insulting. We had been looking for a once a month dinner out with our children and spouses. Gahan House will not be it.

Date of visit: January 2020

Hi Jean, Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, we always appreciate hearing from our guests as it helps up learn and grow! It certainly sounds like your family's dining experience was not up to the premium standards we pride ourselves on and for that we apologize. We'd love the chance to make a much better impression! Please email gmhalifax@gahan.ca next time you're in town so we can make it up to you! Thanks again - Gahan House Guest Services

Reviewed January 3, 2020 via mobile

This restaurant is a great location. The food is decent although the chicken tacos were a little lacking. The steak frites was great, calamari was excellent (and big enough to share). Liked the available brews!

Date of visit: January 2020

Hi MyrtleAnn! Thank you so much for sharing your experience! We're so glad you enjoyed your visit and we hope to see you again soon! - Gahan House Guest Services

Reviewed December 9, 2019 via mobile

We asked around and some one suggested here so we gave it a try. We got seated quick, it was Tuesday so not crazy busy. Nicole was our server. She was quick and helpful with beer selection. Our meals were all good, curry and seafood pasta. The only thing our deep fried mars bar dessert felt it took longer then our meals. It was good but I would have fathered another portion of mars bar over waffle. Anyways it was nice and would return.

Date of visit: December 2019
Gahanhouse, Guest Services at Gahan House Nova Centre, responded to this reviewResponded December 10, 2019

Hi Katie F,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience, we love hearing from our guests to help us improve! We'll be sure to pass along your message to the rest of our team. We hope to see you again soon.
Maggie