“NEVER a Disappointment”

The Press Gang Restaurant & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Press Gang Restaurant & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 766 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Grand Parade & City Hall
Description: The Press Gang, located in the heart of downtown Halifax, is one of the city’s oldest historic stone structures dating back to 1759. Boasting a formal dining experience like no other in the city, The Press Gang features an extensive menu with a rich array of exquisite seafood, meat, game and poultry dishes to satisfy every palate. Enjoy a vast selection of fine wines and world- class cocktails. Please note that due to our liquor conversion license, minors cannot be in the dining room past 9pm.
Reviewed April 18, 2010

We always get The Drill. We've never been disappointed. But that being said, I don't think it is for the faint of heart. It's like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get.
Had a beautiful martini to start, then a nice Tuscan wine with dinner.
The courses were beautifully plated and seasoned. The portions were the right side.
Our server was attentive and refilled our water and replaced our silverware almost invisibly. She was awesome.
Our first course was fish and seafood.
Second course was duck with a small arugula salad that had a flash fried chevre puff on it along with a butternut squash perogy.
Third course was meat, with a lamb rack, pulled pork and beef fillet on the plate together, but not too much of either. They all came with a veg or potato.
Dessert was three tastes of different desserts, and the only thing I didn't like was the banana bread pudding, only due to my aversion to bananas. My husband loved it.
We were not rushed. The restaurant was quiet. The staff were friendly and accomodating. Couldn't ask for anything more.

Reviewed March 11, 2010

Once again back in Halifax so we went to The Press Gang for meal. I don`t have to say more than " The Best Restaurant in Halifax "

Reviewed January 18, 2010

You could tell from the moment you walked in this would be a good dining experience - surroundings, food quality, and service were 10 out of 10.

Reviewed August 31, 2009

We had an absolutely perfect meal here. The atmosphere of the old restored house with stone walls is elegant without being intimidating. Our waiter could not have been more accommodating and knowledgeable. The wine list offered a number of good Nova Scotian wines. And, most important, the food was wonderful. Especially good were the beet and goat cheese salad over arugula with a champagne vinaigrette and the grilled lobster. Two of us shared a whole lobster and we were pleased to see it arrive already divided onto two plates for us. It was garnished with fresh root vegetables, cooked and seasoned gently. We also loved the wide selection of oysters and sampled a variety that were so fresh, they must have been in ocean that morning.

The four of us dining that night were torn between whether this restaurant or The Five Fisherman offered our best meal in Halifax. Anyone who complained about small portions or high prices must prefer an All-you-can-eat Buffet. This restaurant is great.

2  Thank mybagsrpackd
Reviewed August 30, 2009

While visiting Halifax & walking by this restaurant & reading their posted menu we were invited in to look around. My husband & I both thought it was a beautiful restaurant & the menu appealing, therefore we returned the next night for dinner. We are glad we did as we had a wonderful meal in such a lovely place.
We were warmly greeted & given our choice of tables. We selected to sit in a small alcove next to the piano & listened to beautiful music during our meal.
My husband ordered a beer & I wanted a Pinot Noir & our server recommended a Spy Valley from New Zealand. Very good. My husband being the lover of raw oysters ordered those & was delighted. I ordered the Chili Crab Cakes w/orange marinated fennel & mustard green salad w/roast lemon aioli. Delicious. Our entrees were the pan seared Digby scallops on truffle apple butter & served w/sauteed forest mushrooms, potato & spinach. Atlantic Lobster removed from the shell & poached in Grand Marnier sauce & orange butter w/creamed parsnips & mascarpone cheese. For dessert I had a maple cream creme brulee. Everything was scrumptious.

I had read some of the previous reviews but fortunate for us we had a wonderful meal & the cost of the meal was priced accordingly in our opinion. I realize restaurant meals can be hit or miss & everyone has their opinion but we would return again. My husband note that being from the US & the South in particular where Apalachicola oysters (Florida) are on menus throughtout the US & very very good are about $6.00 a dozen here, whereas your NS, NB & PEI oysters are much more expensive. No complaints though as the taste makes up for the price.