“Loved it :-)”

The Press Gang Restaurant & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Press Gang Restaurant & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 711 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood, Canadian, International
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Drinks, Late Night, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Grand Parade & City Hall
Description: The Press Gang, located in the heart of downtown Halifax, is one of the city’s oldest historic stone structures dating back to 1759. Boasting a formal dining experience like no other in the city, The Press Gang features an extensive menu with a rich array of exquisite seafood, meat, game and poultry dishes to satisfy every palate. Enjoy a vast selection of fine wines and world- class cocktails.
“Loved it :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013 via mobile

My sister in law took me here for a treat. We both had The Drill (4 course meal chosen by the chef).
It was so filling. We took a doggie bag and finished it the next day. Was sooooo worth it. I found it a little too romantic for us...lol
There was a table stuck in a hole in the wall that would be very romantic :-) RECOMMEND!!!!!

• Visited July 2012

Halifax, NS
“Pre Theatre Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stopped in for the pre-theatre Prix Fixe package. This was an awesome way to enjoy an excellent menu offering of fine dining at a working woman's price. I have eaten at the Press Gang on the regular menu and I have always left thoroughly pleased.

The theatre menu was more value and food than we could have bargained for. We had crab cakes and grilled oyster to start, I had a New York Striploin and partner had the Char and we shared no flour chocolate cake and deconstructed lemon pie dessert.

The service was prompt and attentive and it has a great ambiance. We'll be back. In combo with the Neptune theatre promotion, it is one of Halifax's best date nights for the working professional.

• Visited May 2013
Coldbrook NS
“First and LAST visit.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

My husband and I were looking for a nice night out. Our favourite restaurant in Halifax that we have been eating at for 17 plus years is under renovation, so we thought we'd try the Press Gang. So disappointed. Let me be clear, it wasn't the food....that was fine, not outstanding, but what I expected. The service however, was extremely disappointing. As we entered the restaurant, we were greeted by a less than friendly host who showed us to our table. Not a friendly greeting, and I don't even think, a smile. We were led to our table in the back room away from ear shot of the highly touted jazz band. When our waitress greeted us, we asked about the potential of getting a table closer to the band. She told us that as of our seating, there were no tables available in that room and that most people specifically request the front room at the time of their reservation. That was fine, lesson learned. The waitress did tell us though that she would keep an eye on the bar in that room and let us know if any spaces came up so that we could have our dessert and coffee at the bar to enjoy the band. We agree and thanked her for that. So we were served our oysters, that while delicious, for the price and size.....I've had much better at bars in Florida....but they were fine. We then proceeded to eat our meals.......our waitress did check on us once, but, we did sit for a while with empty plates. At that point, my husband decided to go out front to see if any space had opened up at the bar. He came back to report that there were lots of spaces out there. So...with our plates still at the table, we took our glasses of wine and proceeded to the bar. At that point, we were greeted by the less than friendly host and told that the entire bar was reserved!!!!! What????? The bar reserved? Yes, he said, reserved for people who had called ahead. What happened to our waitresses promise to "let us know" when space became available at the bar. Weren't we there "ahead"? I guess not. Never in my life have I heard of such a thing. We have eaten at much more posh restaurants than this establishment and have NEVER been turned away from the bar. Isn't that the place you go when you are waiting for your table, or if you just want to enjoy a drink and listen to the entertainment??? I guess not at the Press Gang. Our waitress then approached us in the bar area and asked if we wanted coffee or dessert. ARE YOU KIDDING ME? You virtually ignored us while you served more important people in the front room, didn't follow through on your promise to keep an eye out for empty bar seats for us and now you want to know if we want dessert? You're lucky we still tipped you!!!! As we complained to the "host" upon our departure, he was actually foolish enough to reveal to us that he was awaiting some people who had called ahead from the local hockey arena....those were the people who had "reserved" the bar. Clearly, they were more important than people who had eaten a meal there and were intent on settling in for the night to enjoy a nice evening out. Whatever Press Gang....if that's the type of service you offer.....I don't want any part of it. Luckily, my husband and I didn't let this poor experience ruin our evening....we found another reputable establishment who were happy to have our business. Live and learn I guess. Only certain people are important customers at the Press Gang. .....we didn't fit that bill.

• Visited April 2013
3 Thank JillBP
Monterossa
“Expectations unmet”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

There is nothing big to gripe about with this restaurant but it did not live up to expectations in terms of food. The service was friendly and as attentive as we required. The atmosphere was good, though we were seated so far out the back that it was only on departure that we were actually aware that there was live music up front, which on the tiny bit we heard going out the door, sounded great. The restaurant is dimly lighted but that adds to the rusticity of the building.
Now to the food. Quite expensive for what it was. A small piece of, albeit, well cooked fillet steak was $39. For the mains the portion sizes were on the small side conversely, the entrees were rather large. Between the four of us we had, mussels, calamari, crab cakes, steak, lobster, halibut and cod. The standout was the calamari entree, a very large serving with a nice light tempura style batter and good flavours. The crab cakes were bland and gluey. Everything else would fit into the average to good bracket. Taking the whole package into account, the restaurant, on this occasion, could only be an average, unfortunately.

Aurora, Canada
“"It Doesn't Get Any Better"”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

My husband and I travel to Halifax a couple of times a year. The Press Gang feels like home to us it is our favourite restaurant, 5 star service, food and atmosphere.
We love to sit at the bar and have a couple of cold beers and enjoy the oysters. Awesome.

• Visited February 2013