“First Choice Locale”

The Press Gang Restaurant & Oyster Bar
Reserve with OpenTable
The Press Gang Restaurant & Oyster Bar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #9 of 742 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Grand Parade & City Hall
Description: The Press Gang, located in the heart of downtown Halifax, is one of the city’s oldest historic stone structures dating back to 1759. Boasting a formal dining experience like no other in the city, The Press Gang features an extensive menu with a rich array of exquisite seafood, meat, game and poultry dishes to satisfy every palate. Enjoy a vast selection of fine wines and world- class cocktails. Please note that due to our liquor conversion license, minors cannot be in the dining room past 9pm.
Reviewed November 13, 2011

The Press Gang is in a great location in downtown Halifax and is my "number one" choice for getting together for business related dinners with clients, guests and members of our company, from out of town. I have thus, been there on numerous occasions. The atmosphere is great. The food offerings and drink are consistently top notch and the service is good. We even had one of our guests turn his hand to the piano in the piano bar (to the great delight of all in attendance), on one very recent visit. Lots of fun!

1  Thank Mort S

Reviewed November 2, 2011

I read the review in Tripadvisor & decided I wanted to have one really good seafood dinner in Halifax. other than fish & chips.
I'm sure glad I went here!
Went early at 5 pm & we had the entire restaurant to ourselves!
So the service was fast & friendly. She also was very knowledgable & gave us a brief history of the building. Apparently one of the oldest original buildings in Halifax.
I had the baked oysters & then the Seafood Lagangnette.
All I can say is it was the best I ever had!!!
It was pricey but more than worth it!!! :)

Reviewed November 1, 2011

The Press Gang was an awesome experience and we fully intend to go back.

The atmosphere is warm and cozy in the historic property. Our Server was perfect! She was super friendly, attentive and professional.

We started with Martinis and were impressed when the bartender sent us a sample of the PEI Vodka to ensure we would like it. Nice touch. For dinner, we chose "The Drill" and highly recommend it. It was an opportunity to taste all that the Chef could express. Wine selection and prices are in line with this sort of restaurant.

We had allot of fun and enjoyed every second! Can't really elaborate further since we have no negative feedback.

1  Thank UberDINKS
Reviewed October 10, 2011

Had an amazing time there, food was delicious and service, outstanding. The venue is beautiful and cucumber martinis are heaven like! Definitely worth every penny!

Reviewed October 2, 2011

We had 6 close friends out to eat with us after our wedding here. We decided to have "the drill" which was about 75$ each for a 5 course meal (more like 20 courses, because each course had 3 mini sections to it). The drill is whatever the chefs feel is fresh or in season. The only choice we had to make was how we wanted the "meat" done. After this, we ordered our wines and waited for the courses with much anticipation since we had no idea what was coming. Let's just say this, one of our friends stated, "This was the best meal of my life!" The flavours were so complex and varied. My favourite was, surprisingly, the mushroom ravioli ( I could have eaten a whole plate of this and I'm not even a mushroom fan). We had seafood to start with scallops, mussels and tuna followed by salads then elk, lamb and flank steak prepared just perfectly! The tiramisu cheesecake was divine. I'll definitely eat here again when I return to Halifax, although probably only for special occasions because of the price.