“Best sashimi on the East Coast”

Sushi Shige Japanese Restaurant
Ranked #83 of 766 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Reviewed October 6, 2011

Fantastic little restaurant. If you love raw fish, just let Shige create a meal for you. Fish is always fresh and service is friendly. Occasionally you have to wait but Shige is the only one who prepares the sashimi and sushi. Always worth the wait

2  Thank Rbhali

Reviewed June 30, 2011

The sushi was nice, although cut too large for my liking. I also had the shrimp tempura udon and the broth was tasty, but I only got 2 pieces of tempura which I think is a downsize from the last time I was there in Oct 2010. Service was slow.

Reviewed April 29, 2011

I had several outstanding sushi meals at Shige. Yesterday, I asked for a $40 "omakase" menu (chef choice), specifying that I preferred quality over quantity. We got 12 different pieces of nigiri sushi, all with the fish piece much bigger than the small rice ball, and 6 maki. Nearly all the pieces were excellent. There was enough food for two (we regretted ordering a tempura plate and left some behind).

I had the privilege of eating many excellent sushi meals on the West coast and in Japan and Shige ranks among the best (at a third of the price of the equivalent meal in Japan). Probably due to lack of availability, Shige can have an "off day" when his sushi is merely very good... but even then, it is worth the detour.

1  Thank JacquesAllard
Reviewed February 1, 2011

I have always had amazing experiences here. The food is always consistent
and the service unobtrusive and friendly. The presentation is refined and the
product the use is always flawless. I believe thy might be one of the only places in the city that use fresh wasabi .

1  Thank NewProspector
Reviewed February 26, 2010

I love this place! I have been to Japan, and Sushi Shige is reminiscent of the small restaurants you find there. We had tempura to start, the sushi pizza and a couple of different kinds of sushi rolls. The sushi pizza is AMAZING. I had never tried it, although I believe a couple of other places in town serve it too. Shige is where the concept originated, and it is definitely something you should try. The rolls were all good - especially the dragon rolls and spicy spider rolls. We had a bit left over, and I couldn't wait to get up for breakfast and eat it. I will definitely be back soon!!!

1  Thank Kyarorin