“Good but not Great!”

Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Toronto, Canada
“Good but not Great!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2012

This little Inn has the potential to be so much more than it is. The rooms are nice but the layout of the bathroom is so frustrating that it makes it impossible to get ready in the morning.
I think the rooms are getting tired and need to be redecorated to keep it fresh.

Visited May 2012

Toronto
“2nd time @ Stories - another great meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2012

Unfortunately we didn't have time for the tasting menu as had to attend reception prior to son's convocation. Our meal was still very good and I would definitely recommend Stories for a special meal for two, a gourmet experience with their tasting menu or a private dining experience for a group. In other words, I would recommend it for anything. Neill, our waiter added to the evening and we were fortunate to have him as our waiting staff both times.

1 Thank DAD11
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia
“THE one and only fine dining restaurant you MUST try in Halifax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 11, 2012

My partner and I just recently returned from our evening out to Stories, and I cannot help but rave about it. It was by far the very best meal I have ever had in Halifax on my many trips there. The small and quaint space is inviting and peaceful. Upon entry we were greeted by our server who proved throughout the night that she was both attentive, kind and very knowledgeable. Stories offers the option of a tasting menu, which includes 6-8 courses, depending on the chef's choice, as well as wine pairings with each of these courses, which offers you the ability to try a lot of local wine and food options. We jumped on this opportunity and were absolutely delighted with the results. Among some of the options were, lobster, sea bass, scallops bison, duck, it was inexplicably delicious!
The lighting and mood of the space added to the ambiance of the evening. My partner and I were able to try many local wines that were perfectly paired with the meals. The tasting menu is a must, as it allows you to relish in the chefs choice of local product.
The service was excellent, and she had excellent timing between courses.
My partner and I , both of whom are sensitive to grains, were well received by the chef, and he had no problem at all accommodating that particular food sensitivity.
I could go on about the exceptional meal, as each of the courses opened up a whole spectacular understanding of food and wine pairings.
You must go try for yourself, Stories is without a doubt, the very best restaurant I have had the pleasure of enjoying in Halifax!

2 Thank N0rthernVisit0r
Halifax, Canada.
“SPECTACULAR. 2nd to None in Halifax.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2012

My fiance and I recently had the pleasure of dining at Stories. We chose to partake in the tasting menu - 6-8 courses for $70 paired with wine $35.

Each flight was spectacular we were treated to many locally sourced foods with a delightful menu that consisted of - bison, duck, lamb, scallop, lobster, sea bass and more. Each dish was carefully prepared and each bite left us closing our eyes to savor the delicate combination of flavors that the chef had expertly prepared. The wine pairing was spot on, each glass complimented the accompanying dish perfectly, serving a mix of international and Nova Scotia wines left us impressed with the care and thought put into every detail of our wine and food.

The staff at Haliburton House/Stories went the extra mile for us, kind, courteous and well informed on the specifics of the entire menu.

The service, the food, and the atmosphere is hands down the BEST in Atlantic Canada, and in many aspects we feel that the entire experience surpasses nearly every dining venue we have visited together, including several Michelin Starred restaurants in France.

If you are looking for the absolute best Nova Scotia has to offer than look no further than the tasting menu at Stories Fine Dining.

Bronxville, New York
“Relaxed Fine Dining in Halifax”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

"Relaxed fine dining" is how Stories advertises itself, and there is truth in that ad. This small, lovely dining room located in the charming boutique Halliburton House Inn, offers graceful, attentive service and a small menu of beautifully prepared food. The first clue to a good meal is always the bread, and the basket offered by Stories tells you right away that you're in for a treat. The salads, too, offer market fresh greens with a subtle dressing. The wild stiped bass we had was excellent. This is clearly one of the very best restaurants in Halifax.

• Visited April 2012