“Not Bad for the Cost”

Steak and Stein Family Restaurant
Ranked #128 of 715 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Halifax, Canada
“Not Bad for the Cost”
Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

If you've been to a S&S, you know that the menu focuses on steak and ribs with a spattering of other dishes such as pasta. The food was just average, but the cost was inexpensive. The service was friendly and quick but every time I've been to a S&S, it's been busy so expect a wait if you're there during rush hour.

French Fries were bland so you might want to try a different side.

They always have great specials do be sure to check them out.

Roland, Arkansas
“Tasty seafood chowder”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were on a sightseeing tour when they stopped for a scheduled lunch at Steak and Stein. Tables were set and ready for the group. The servers were prompt and very friendly. The chowder was FULL of seafood. I think it is the best I have ever had. For dessert, there was a choice of bread pudding and gingerbread. Both were tasty. The bread pudding was very light and fluffy. Wish I lived closer. The dinner menu looked wonderful.

• Visited October 2013
Mississauga, Canada
“Delicious if you don't mind the wait”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I'm not usually a steak person but I have to say I have never enjoyed one more. You wait a little while to be seated since it seems most people make reservations ahead but the food is worth it!

• Visited July 2013
Halifax, Canada
“Improved Beef Tips”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

My spouse ordered the Derby tips a few nights ago and also the last time we were there, these have greatly improved! They are tender now, where they used to be fatty - mostly "waste" pieces that should never have been served as a meal!

I ordered the chicken breast platter, this isn't as good as it used to be, not sure if they changed something with the sauce. Also had a baked potato. Both were quite bland,almost tasteless, needed something extra.

I would return to order the beef tips, but wouldn't bother trying a baked potato from here. Although the fries here are just the shoestring frozen kind, they are better than the baked potato.

We did receive good service from our waiter.

• Visited July 2013
Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada
“Steakhouse that could have better steak”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

and scallops...how can you not get good scallops in Halifax?? In all fairness our server warned me twice that they were frozen and not fresh. Ordered the derby steak. It was too salty for my taste - maybe better without the marinade? The twice baked potato was dried out and microwaved.

Should have had the salad that my sister in law and niece ordered. The salad looked fantastic! The nachos were good, the yam bites were tasty. The service was fine and the waitress gave my sis coupons for their next visit as a thanks for bringing new guests to the restaurant - that was pretty cool actually.

I did like the atmosphere. Kind of 80's and reminded me of something from an old Chevy Chase movie. Husband and I are foodies so we can't be completely fair to the restaurant but it was homey and different than anything we see out in BC.

We would go again with our family. I probably won't have the steak though.

• Visited April 2013