“Tasty seafood chowder”

Steak and Stein Family Restaurant
Ranked #126 of 711 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: American, Canadian, Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Brunch, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Delivery, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Roland, Arkansas
“Tasty seafood chowder”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

We were on a sightseeing tour when they stopped for a scheduled lunch at Steak and Stein. Tables were set and ready for the group. The servers were prompt and very friendly. The chowder was FULL of seafood. I think it is the best I have ever had. For dessert, there was a choice of bread pudding and gingerbread. Both were tasty. The bread pudding was very light and fluffy. Wish I lived closer. The dinner menu looked wonderful.

• Visited October 2013

Mississauga, Canada
“Delicious if you don't mind the wait”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

I'm not usually a steak person but I have to say I have never enjoyed one more. You wait a little while to be seated since it seems most people make reservations ahead but the food is worth it!

• Visited July 2013
Halifax, Canada
“Improved Beef Tips”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2013

My spouse ordered the Derby tips a few nights ago and also the last time we were there, these have greatly improved! They are tender now, where they used to be fatty - mostly "waste" pieces that should never have been served as a meal!

I ordered the chicken breast platter, this isn't as good as it used to be, not sure if they changed something with the sauce. Also had a baked potato. Both were quite bland,almost tasteless, needed something extra.

I would return to order the beef tips, but wouldn't bother trying a baked potato from here. Although the fries here are just the shoestring frozen kind, they are better than the baked potato.

We did receive good service from our waiter.

• Visited July 2013
Prince Rupert, British Columbia, Canada
“Steakhouse that could have better steak”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2013

and scallops...how can you not get good scallops in Halifax?? In all fairness our server warned me twice that they were frozen and not fresh. Ordered the derby steak. It was too salty for my taste - maybe better without the marinade? The twice baked potato was dried out and microwaved.

Should have had the salad that my sister in law and niece ordered. The salad looked fantastic! The nachos were good, the yam bites were tasty. The service was fine and the waitress gave my sis coupons for their next visit as a thanks for bringing new guests to the restaurant - that was pretty cool actually.

I did like the atmosphere. Kind of 80's and reminded me of something from an old Chevy Chase movie. Husband and I are foodies so we can't be completely fair to the restaurant but it was homey and different than anything we see out in BC.

We would go again with our family. I probably won't have the steak though.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Trish L
Bay Saint Lawrence, Nova Scotia, Canada
“Not bad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2013

I make better steak at home, but hey, I am hard to compete with! The atmosphere here is nice and the staff is excellent, I am just not a big a fan of steak in a restaurant. So, why do I go here? Because it's a great place for a thirty-something guy to have drinks with old friends while grabbing a bite and still being able to hear each other. There salmon isn't half-bad though and I enjoy both their coffee and their beer, not necessarily at the same time though.

• Visited August 2012