“pricey for what you get”

Steak and Stein Family Restaurant
Ranked #134 of 737 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Nova Scotia
“pricey for what you get”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

For your basic fare of meat and potatoes it is not a bad choice. You can eat cheaper elsewhere and get better food.

the steak is okay but be prepared to drop over 60.00 for 2 people.

• Visited November 2012

Halifax, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good family dining at a very good price”
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Love the pot roast they make! Well decorated, very friendly stuff. Great
place for a nice family dining.

• Visited September 2012
Halifax, Canada
“More than just steaks,try the PAN FRIED HADDOCK!”
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I go to Steak & Stein regularly. I tried the steaks, Calgary,DelMonico, and just found them to be overdone, gristley, and thin. I don't mean to boast, but I cook awesome steaks on BBQ, and they are not as good as mine. I find the Derby(marinated) style to be too salty,and always well done.The "char" style is OK. Other good items on the menu I would recommend you try are Smoked Meat Melt, Spicy Sausage Penne Pasta, Beef tips strogonoff, Hot chicken or hamburg sandwich, The ribs are tender and tasty, and my favorite the PAN FRIED HADDOCK, It is only $13 and it is a whole 1/2 fish fillet as long as the platter, i would guess 12oz.It comes with coleslaw, warm roll and choice of potato. it has a light batter wash on it that holds the fish together nicely. I have never been disappointed with the haddock. SERVICE: is great, servers are on the ball with refills and follow ups and food is ready quick. Desserts are good "homemade" style, and change through the year. Late summer they have Blueberry Grunt, winter gingerbread, summer strawberry shortcake. They also have year round standards, probably from the freezer, cheesecake, brownie etc. I would recommend Steak & Stein. Hope this helps, Thanks for reading!

• Visited June 2012
Port Hawkesbury, Canada
“What is all the fuss about?”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I was not one bit impressed with the paper thin steak I received - I ordered it with their signature marinade (said to be garlic and other spices) which to me, was overwhelmingly salty with no other flavors. I had heard others in the diner talking about how they were known for their steaks so this added to my disappointment in the end.

I had also ordered the potato boats, which were good and quite filling however by the last one, I wasn't too keen on the flavors involved here either - the potatoes just didn't seem fresh.

Overall, if I was looking for a cheap, average diner meal, I would give this place a second chance and try something else.

On the customer service side, the waitress we had was very dry, unenthusiastic and not personable at all. The only time she half smiled was when she gave us our bill which is frustrating because I enjoy a waiter/waitress that is personable and happy - for lack of better words.

• Visited October 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Good Local Food”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

My husband and I took our son for a going away dinner to Steak and Stein last night and I have to say, the meal was great! My husband had the beef tips which were very good (and are no longer served at Applebees who used to fo them pretty well). Our son had the steak which was tender and flavourful. But the best meal of the night was the prime rib, which I had, and which was some of the best prime rib I've eaten in a long time. Better still, their yorkshire pudding was the very best I've had, and a nice touch. The waitress kept refilling our sodas and was attentive. The price is reasonable.

• Visited October 2012