“Great Fish!”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed April 21, 2012

We stopped at Phils for Fish and Chips. The fish was fantastic., fresh and juicy. The fries would have been great had they been hot. The coleslaw was alright I dont like mine grated but it did have a nice hint of garlic in it. The tartar sauce, always the sign of a great fish place was awful tasted like it was made with relish not capers. I cant give this place an average rating because of the fish. Good service as well.

1  Thank jennifer s

Reviewed August 15, 2010

Agree that the "chips" leave something to be desired, but the fish is delicious and fresh, the mussels are around $5 for 1 pound and are superb. The seafood chowder is also really tasty.

1  Thank Dee_247
Reviewed June 5, 2010

We recently had supper at Phil's because we were told by my brother that is the best seafood he has ever had. We had a nice dinner and the seafood was good but nothing extraordinary.
I'd definitly go back though.

Reviewed April 9, 2010

After reading the reviews I was really looking forward to having some fish and chips here. We ordered the haddock and chips & a spinach salad. It took a while for the order to come and when it did, the chips were in fact french fries. They were overcooked and some of mine were so overcooked they were inedible. The fish was breaded and it was dry as well. I was very very disappointed by it to be honest. I have had far nicer fish and chips elsewhere I am afraid. I prefer a very light and crisp batter to my fish and french fries are a poor excuse for a chip. You cannot beat proper chunky cut ones, which are crispy on the outside but lovely and soft inside. Cheap it may be but quality it ain't. Sorry Phil's, you didn't do it for us.

1  Thank Birtsters
Reviewed March 31, 2010

There's nothing wrong with this restaurant but if you're wanting fish and chips, this isn't the place to go. The french fries are frozen - which is inexcusable. The fish is fresh which is to be expected in a sea port. Whether breading is better than batter is a moot point but the result is bland and disappointing. There are better choices around town.

2  Thank BlueEddy