“Good atmosphere, decent dining”
Review of Onyx Wine Bar & Kitchen - CLOSED

Onyx Wine Bar & Kitchen
Cuisines: French, Wine Bar
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: South Park Street
Description: Step in from Halifax's bustling Spring Garden Road and enter ONYX, an oasis of casual elegance. Sit at the back-lit white onyx bar and sip a mojito, crushed fruit, muddled fresh mint and rum. Or peruse the extensive Wine Spectator award-winning wine list with over 350 selections. ONYX, a big city feel, yet intimate. We offer inventive cuisine with professional service. It is an evening you'll remember. ONYX has received many accolades and awards in the short time we've been open. Here are just a few: A three Star Rating in "Where to Eat in Canada", one of only 29 restaurants in Canada to achieve this rating. A four diamond rating from AAA/CAA, one of the top ten new restaurants in Canada, a Wine Spectator Award of Excellence every year that we have been open.
Halifax, Canada
“Good atmosphere, decent dining”
Reviewed January 25, 2014

Usually, the only time I come here is on Wednesday nights, when you can bring in your own wine without a corkage fee. Their appetizers and meals are good, but unfortunately skimpy for portion sizes and rather overpriced. Nonetheless, cocktails here are skillfully mixed and extra points for ambiance. Not my first choice of restaurant/bar, but pretty good.

Bedford, Canada
“Left Hungry....for $46 a head that's ridiculous”
Reviewed January 17, 2014

Myself and my collegues choose Onyx as our Year End treat with our bosses. I normally do not comment on what other people have or their experiences but in this case it was the overall feel of the table. It was our table of 8 and a table of 2. No one else there. I will note that they are moving to another location. Because of this beer after beeer that we ordered was not available. I had a Stella and wanted another. I had the last one appearantly. One of the others ordered a specialty beer and the server had to come back and tell him that they didn't have any.
My starter was a Caeser Salad. The leaves were grilled and this gave them a smokey taste, this was the hilight of the meal. Next to me one of my bosses ordered the Tuna as an appetizer. It actually smelled fishy. All fish apps and entres smelled fishy. Except for my salad, all apps were barely a bite.
The entrees. Mine was the Halibut. As I mentioned it smelled fishy. This means it was either frozen or not fresh....sorry for the obvious statement. But the big issue around the table was the portion sizes. Three people at the table got the lamb. It was two pieces, not even a handful. Someone else had the steak. It was tough and not a good cut of meat and also small.
So after dinner we all went to a pub next door and we ordr some nachos and wings for us all to munch on. As the title says, for $46 a plate..... ridiculous.

Visited January 2014
2 Thank notkevin
“A nice treat!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Recently went to Onyx as part of a large group. Got to try many things. Chicken chops and kobe sliders were super. Also, enjoyed the risotto balls. Scallop appetizer was very nice with a tasty sauce (just two scallops, but very yummy). Beef tenderloin was lovely, cooked perfectly and nice portion. Some tried the halibut and found it less than fresh; everyone else enjoyed their entrees. Desserts were all nice, as well. Most of the wait staff was attentive and friendly. Prices are high, but it was a nice treat.

Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Very impressed - may be our new favourite”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

From the moment we walked in, we were impressed.
Lovely decor - nothing outrageous, just all very appealing.
Service was attentive, but not too much.
Cocktail menu was impressive. The 'Poivre pore' was fantastic - must get the recipe.
We had the Prix Fixe and it was a great choice - I'd have been happy with anything on it.
My scallops were fat, juicy & superb. Her eggplant was terrific.
My tenderloin was perfect. Her lamb chops were gorgeous. Both had lovely sauce & delicious mash.
Dessert though was something else. You must check out 'Une Meule' (Icelandic for 'grinding wheel'. See pic). Port-soaked melty Stilton, with choc truffles, strawberries, nuts & dried figs (which weren't dry at all - they were deliciously soggy!! :-) An unbelievable combination. Wow.
My partner's creme brûlée was above par.

We selected a bottle of Côtes-du-Rhône, Chapoutier, Bellerouche 2007, for $43, and it was outstanding.

And to top it all, half way through the meal, I glanced at the tiny card behind my partner's head, and then announced "Did you know, you're sitting in the same seat Mick Jagger sat in when the Stones were came to town?"
She was impressed too.

“Very Enjoyable”
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My husband and I decided that we were due for a nice dinner out. We tried a couple of our regular spots but were unable to get a reservation. So we ended up at Onyx by default..... the atmosphere is lovely and the wait staff is very attractive (both the young ladies and men) the Prix Fixe Menu offered a great variety..... appitizer: ahi tuna for my husband and seared sea scallops for me, we both had the lamb and finished with the stilton and fresh fruit and truffels with a port...... a very nice bottle of wine over dinner... before tip about $235.00 ...... we normally have an evening out like this every couple of months..... we felt that the quality and presentation of the food was very good and the wait staff were delightful. The portions were reasonable in size and we couldn't finish our desert. The A/C was cranked up but they were quick to cut it back when we asked.... the booths are private.... and the music starts around 9:00 or 9:30.... then it is my understanding that it turns into a martini bar with lots of party...... plan to finish up your meal by 9:30 and either head out or join the other patrons at the bar for a night cap!!!! that would be my advice!! We will definately eat here again soon!

• Visited June 2013