“Average”

Murphy's the Cable Wharf
Ranked #120 of 711 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Bar, Seafood, Canadian
Good for: Large groups, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Description: Murphy's Cable Wharf is situated at the foot of George Street on the Halifax waterfront. Halifax's largest Tour Boat & Restaurant Operator is a can't miss destination combining nightlife, nature tours, sightseeing, fine dining, tours of historic properties and much more, all in the company of the friendliest people you'll meet.
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2014 via mobile

Took a while to get waited on,took a while to get our food and it didn't take long after that to realize that we probably shouldn't have waited to get anything. Food was very average and a little overpriced for what we ordered. The view was pretty good, but this a busy harbor so don't expect a romantic or relaxed lunch on the waterfront. Maybe it's better at night.There are a lot more options on the waterfront .

Visited July 2014

Pickering, Canada
“Made to wait for no reason, careless staff, mediocre food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

When we walked into Murphy's more than half the tables were empty. And yet we were told we were going to have to wait for 15 minutes. I asked why and was told "we seat you based on server availability, not table availability". Translation--we have totally screwed up our staffing today. The server managed to get my order wrong, and never asked me if I needed another drink. And when I finally got my lobster roll it was on a stale roll. A great location right on the waterfront, but you'd be advised to walk for a few minutes to find somewhere better.

• Visited July 2014
Sarah G, Manager at Murphy's the Cable Wharf, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Hello,

I am so sorry to hear about your experience with us. I can absolutely understand why you would be upset with the wait if there are so many tables vacant. We do have a very large restaurant with lots of seating available in a lower section, upper section and our popular summer patio. We do reserve the tables in the lower section for reserved large groups that come to us on daily basis. This way we can keep guests, such as yourself, that come in for dinner somewhat separate from the large groups. I apologize if the hostess was vague on this matter. It should have been clarified with the patrons coming in for dinner. I will be sure to discuss this with them to make sure this misunderstanding does not occur again.

I would also like to apologize for your dining experience as well. This is disheartening to hear because we hope to never have guests leave with a bad taste for what we do here on the waterfront. We truly believe we have a great restaurant on the waterfront and we strive to make everyone's time here a memorable one that will have them returning.

I have already spoken to our team and have shown them this feedback. Thank you for your response because we appreciate any feedback from our customers so we can improve in any area that you feel we have not fulfilled. We would all like a second chance (if it all possible) to show you what we are all about. Please contact me directly so I can take care of your reservation.

I hope to hear from you soon,
Nikki
nikki@mtcw.ca
902-420-1015
Victoria, Canada
“Should have known better...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

The thing about Swiss army knives is while they do many things, they usually don't do them nearly as well as the one tool meant for the job.

Murphy's seems to have its name on a bunch of things in Halifax. From what I understand they've been a mainstay of the harbour tourist industry for thirty years. A gift shop, an amphibious cruise of the city and harbour, a kiddie theme tug boat, a party boat, a dinner cruise and a restaurant.

All that diversity...

The amphibious cruise wasn't bad. The tour guide had the volume up a tad too high and never shut up but that's part of the package. We saw the sites mentioned and the harbour cruise was fun.

So we thought we'd try the restaurant for dinner. No wait as eight out of ten tables were empty. Easy to find window seats and the view is as nice as you'll find down there by the water. Drinks order taken and delivered fairly quickly. Only took two tries to get water and bread. Menu looks great, lobster half a dozen ways. The bacon wrapped scallops as an appetizer was actually quite good.

But aside from being luke warm on arrival the lobster thermidor resembled that particular dish in name only. No trace of eggs or brandy that I could find. Gruyère? I really don't think so. (Tasted like bad Kraft cheddar.) Mustard? Who are we kidding?

Accompanied by a spoonful of under-cooked rice (rice doesn't crunch when you eat it where I come from), two miniature broccolli sprouts and three small pieces of what I think were asparagus shaft. And some boiled celery. Interesting interpretation of mixed seasonal vegetables.

Good thing there was the bread.

Anyway, I've since mentioned the meal to some of the local folk. Who don't (three for three so far) seem to even consider eating at Murphy's. Drinks on the sundeck, maybe some nachos or onion rings. But eat there...?

1 Thank jjapolinario
Sarah G, Public Relations Manager at Murphy's the Cable Wharf, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Good morning,

Thank you for providing your honest and balanced feedback. We're of course delighted that you enjoyed the bulk of your time with us, while we're disappointed that we missed the mark on your dining experience. Because we have such diversity in product offerings we like to think that we do understand what it takes to provide a strong quality experience to our customers, each as different as our products - however, there is no doubt by your description that we failed you with your meal event. For this we are regretful - we hold the overall goal that payment must represent value and if it doesn't, we need to respond. Please know that we are prepared to respond by asking you (if at all practical - there is no way to know if you live locally) to come back again by, our complements, to enjoy a "re-do" of this dish and experience. We appreciate your comments and believe that your taking the time to provide this feedback suggests that you want to assist us in being "the best we can be"....and for that we are grateful.

Please contact me directly and allow us to validate that we can learn from our mistakes.

Sarah
Sarah@mtcw.ca
902-420-1015 ext 355
London, United Kingdom
“Ok food with noisy music and lovely waitress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2014

Lobster roll was good . Husband had calamari a wheich were not good.
Caesar salad was good but spinach salad was very mediocre.
Than we enjoyed the daiquiri.

Visited July 2014
1 Thank DANIELLA107
Sarah G, Public Relations Manager at Murphy's the Cable Wharf, responded to this review, July 14, 2014
Good afternoon from Murphy's!

I appreciate your taking the time to write a review for our restaurant. We appreciate your lovely compliment to our wait staff. I'm so glad you enjoyed our daiquiri, Caesar salad and our award-winning lobster roll. It sounds like a great combination for a summer meal!

I am truly sorry that you found our calamari and spinach salad were not to your satisfaction. If you would like to send me an email with some information on the date you ate with us, I would love to discuss this with our chef. Thank you for joining us during your travels!

Have a great day
Sarah
Sarah@mtcw.ca
Halifax Region, Canada
“Amazing Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2014

Our family had a great time at Murphy's on the water. We sat on the patio over looking the harbor and we all truly enjoyed every bite of our meals. The cold beer on warm day wasnt bad either