“A nice place, great veggies but not so much the fish”

McKelvie's Delishes Fishes Dishes
Ranked #21 of 774 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
Cross street: Bedford Row and Prince
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This restaurant looks great when you enter; a very nice setting and we were optimistic the food quality would match. It is a bit upscale so makes for a nice evening out. We were disappointed in the quality of the fish; all other food items were great but the fish was bland - my halibut was very disappointing (a bit overcooked and no flavor) as was my husband's sword fish. We had a marvelous pan fried haddock at the Old Triangle the night before (right across the street) but were looking for a bit more of a dress up night. As this was our first time here I will give them a second chance. If you go, I suggest sitting in the front half of the restaurant; we were seated at a very nice window table but it was very close to the kitchen and the clanging of silverware got a bit tedious. They had a 3 course set dinner option which seemed very reasonable for $35.00. The couple at the table next to us ordered this and seemed pleased with it.

2  Thank Mabes1975
Write a ReviewReviews (1,069)

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We try to get in to McKelvies at least once every year when we are in Nova Scotia. We have been coming for 20 years now and have always enjoyed our meals. I especially like their lemon thyme mussels. The service has always been good.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Tuesday evening, turned up without reservation, welcomed, spacious restaurant filled up as the evening passed, good vibe to it: mix of family's & couples: Attentive staff, went for the seafood signature (lobster tail /salmon fillet/ scallops/prawns + mash + greens) dish with bottle of prosecco, CD140 for 2: there are cheaper options on the menu but this meal was very good:

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My husband and I had lunch at McKelvie's today to celebrate an anniversary.
We were promptly seated and offered menus and chilled water with a bottle of water at the table, which was really nice. When our bread basket arrived, it had a stain on the napkin in the basket. We chose to ignore it, as it wasn't touching the bread. Our appetizers of Malpeque Oysters and Caesar Salad were nicely presented and tasty. I had the Aqua Pasta, which was good and my husband had the Seafood Bouillabaisse, which was also very good. We were both surprised when the waitress brought our meals and she was holding onto the inside area of the plates. You would think in an upscale restaurant, the server would use a tray or a napkin to grip the plates. It is really unappetizing to see someone's thumb next to your meal.
The service over all was ok, but the waitress was a little aloof and we noticed it wasn't just with us. Maybe, she was just having a bad day...it happens.

2  Thank Singent
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Went here with a group of people. Our waiter was funny and provided great service. You must have the crabbisque - it's absolutely the best. I had the lamb which was good and the coconut cream pie was was soo creamily good.