“Bottom of the barrel chineses”
Review of King's Palace Restaurant - CLOSED

Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed June 13, 2013

Food prepared with the utmost disdain. I had to return my rice because there wer chunks of I guess teflon in it. This is not even passable. I felt like asking "Do you actually taste what you make?". Everything seemed like it had been sitting around for days. The vegetables tasted rotty.

1  Thank theklingon
There are newer reviews for King's Palace Restaurant

Reviewed May 25, 2013

If I could give it zero stars I would. I never write reviews but had to in this instance.

I ordered the chicken fried rice and the chicken was dry and bland and unlike every other Chinese place where I've had fried rice, this dish was just the rice and chicken. No egg, no veggies, nothing. Very bland and very boring. I asked the waitress if I could order a side of veggies and she brought me a menu indicating I could order an entire new dish that had veggies and I kept trying to make clear to her that I did not want to order a new dish (at an additional cost), but rather wanted a side of veggies that I could add to it. She repeatedly said that wasn't possible. Needless to say I was beyond irritated that I was being told that in a Chinese restaurant I was not able to get a side of sauteed vegetables. I asked for a third time as I mulled my way through the flavorless meal and was again told no.

Because i had been starving I managed to eat about 1/4 of the meal, which was basically rice, and just couldn't do it anymore. I asked for the check and told her I was very dissatisfied and AGAIN asked about the veggies. No again. I went to pay upfront and expressed my displeasure to the man who was maybe the owner and to a different waitress. I told them how I couldn't believe I couldn't get a side of veggies to go with my bland meal and the man replied that they DID have sauteed vegetables, including a half order. I asked why she didn't just tell me that and the waitress said, "oh maybe she didn't understand" and I said that wasn't my problem.

It was astounding to me that at no point during this experience did the waitress (or the man at the end) offer to exchange my entree or comp it all together. I repeatedly expressed my displeasure for the meal and was being reasonable in just asking for a side of vegetables as that would have made it palatable for me. When I told my waitress that every fried rice dish I have ever had all over the world was also comprised of fried egg and veggies she said, "oh you should have ordered another dish." WTF?

I live in New York so fortunately I will never have to eat there again. Terrible food and service and a total waste of money.

1  Thank T F
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We walked by and decided to give this place a try. It was empty- not a single customer in sight so we were a bit afraid but the food was pretty good. The menu is quite large, we only tried simple plates but they do seem to serve more. It refers to Dim Sum but I assume that is at specific time as we saw nothing about it on the menu. Food wise- our combos tasted like every other Chinese restaurant so good (the beef fried rice though was bland and tasteless) to fill a craving or if you live/are staying close by.

Reviewed March 11, 2013

Nothing outstanding but they have experienced long-term servers and are friendly and attentive. The combos are reasonably priced and they attract a regular lunch hour crowd. Last time that we went the food was hot and arrived quickly. Great when you have limited time on a work lunch hour. One of the few places where we can drive on an hour lunch break, find parking, eat and be back in time. The weekend buffets are reasonable and they keep the dishes filled and hot. Attended a wedding reception there once and the food was amazing- really enjoyed the variety and the more authentic dishes. But typically I am not as adventuresome and stick to a combo.

1  Thank llinel
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I've found two good places to eat Chinese Food in Halifax. Fung Wah in Fairview and King's Palace on Quinpool Road. This place has been around for quite a while and still puts out a good deal. The food is very good and the prices are very fair. The atmosphere is good and the place is clean. The staff has been working there for a long time and still does a good job. I would recommend a visit to this place for a good feast of Chinese food.

2  Thank Rick K