“Great food, service ok”

The Keg Steakhouse + Bar - Halifax
Ranked #27 of 733 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown Halifax
“Great food, service ok”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I have been to the Keg many times, usually on the weekends so it is always really busy. They have made a few changes to the menu since the last time I have been there which must be to make more money. No longer is your bread and salad included with every entree, there are certain entrees that you now pay $5 extra for and will get this plus some grilled vegetables. Overall the steak is good (not as good when you cook it yourself though), and the restaurant is clean, staff are usually pretty good but if they are busy sometimes you are left feeling rushed and not the most attentive service for what you are paying which when I go for a meal, appetizer and a drink or two with my boyfriend it is usually around $100. For $100 plus a tip I think they should be prepared for it being busy as it always is there on the weekends and still provide you with the same level of service. Definitely would go back again however have started looking around at other steak places as well.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank JustTravelling4

Halifax, Canada
“Chicken and ribs are quite nice.”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I have been here a couple of times. The first time I came, I had the chicken and ribs and nothing has topped it since. I found that there was too much food served, I had an entire meal left over. However, last time I visited this was not the case at all. I would imagine that this venue would please many people from the plain meat and potato eaters to more eclectic tastes. The food is "plain" in that sense but it is very nice. Excellent service and atmosphere.

• Visited September 2012
“Great place to eat”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

The Keg has excellent service and really great food. The steaks are the best in town so if you want to take your family or a business meeting...the Keg really has the service and atmosphere for both.

Visited February 2012
Halifax
“Great Steak, excellent service!”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We came here with my 8 year old and had an amazing time! we waited at the bar for our table and ordered wine and the bartender was fabulous with my son, he put his drink in a wine glass too and made jokes with him which was great...kids can get inpatient and he made it fun. When we got to our table the server was fantastic, the steak was cooked to perfection. We love it here!

• Visited December 2012
Halifax, Canada
“Great steak, bad atmosphere”
Reviewed December 14, 2012

If you want a good steak, go to a steakhouse, if you want to pasta, go some place else.
This place has amazing steaks, cooked perfectly.
Be prepared on how you order your steak because medium rare is not a little pink on the inside like you might get in other places. (Their menu explains it.)

The atmosphere here sucked. Not like other Kegs. This place is stuck in the 80's. All wood everywhere. Even the chairs looked like they were from the 80's.
Great professional service. However, I Never saw a manager who whole time.
The bar here was pretty ugly, I would never take a client here for a couple of drinks.
Overall, I enjoyed myself.

• Visited December 2012