“We like it and visit at least once a month”

Jack Astor's Bar and Grill
Reserve with OpenTable
Jack Astor's Bar and Grill is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #125 of 720 Restaurants in Halifax
Cuisines: American, Bar, Grill
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Halifax, Canada
“We like it and visit at least once a month”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

I suppose that all Jack Astor's are alike. We go to this one as well as the one across the harbour in Dartmouth. Pretty much the same. The food is very good, fresh, looks good, always hot. My wife and I like to split a meal and add extra rice and also add the garlic pan bread. They are always happy to do the split onto two plates.. .we never feel embarrassed about it.... the wait staff usually make a comment like... "this is just the right amount of food"

We are not sports fans so the many tv's are not anything to attract us, and by now we ignore the high level of noise. This place is somewhat informal with the staff all wearing black t-shirts with witty sayings on them, and the tables are covered with brown wrapping paper... we actually like this as we doodle with the crayons while we wait.. and we are seniors!!

My wife almost always gets the Sesame Chicken stir fry, and this is what we often share... but if I get my own full meal, I usually get the fish and chips: a substantial piece of fish that is never greasy, and I like the tartar sauce, though I never take it at any other restaurant.

• Visited September 2012
2 Thank nsbil

Dieppe
“2nd time there”
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I have yet to be disappointed at Jack's. I brought my son on a recent trip to Halifax. Burgers were amazing, great service. Would definitely go back

• Visited August 2012
“Great service and okay food.”
Reviewed August 24, 2012 via mobile

Went to jack Astor for lunch with a client. Service was great and very quick. The food was okay. Great place to take clients for drinks and quick lunch.

Bonavista, Canada
“Fun place to eat!”
Reviewed August 9, 2012

The decor was fun! I enjoyed the humorous comic strips and sayings on the wall, and the T-shirt slogans on the servers cracked me up. The food was delicious and I appreciated having gluten-free options available to me. I had the shrimp Pad Thai and would highly recommend it. It is very tasty but not too spicy, and made for a great meal!

Visited August 2012
1 Thank Paul P
Halifax, Canada
“Music way too loud, service far too slow”
Reviewed August 5, 2012

I ordered a Beck's beer; it was flat and sour. I ordered Pad Thai, which took 40 minutes to arrive. The three girls behind the bar were more interested in discussing their social arrangements than serving the customers. The music was way too loud. I was not impressed, and will not return.

• Visited August 2012